Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this typical? At low speed sharp turns like in a parking lot, my tires squeal. Usually the pavement is real smooth. Is this an AWD thing? I have Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport tires on my 3.6R Limited. They have about 26k miles with specified tire pressures. No unusual wear pattern. Just curious. I get stares sometimes. And not 'cause I'm handsome and rich ;)

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
341 Posts
Those tires are likely getting close to replacement (think mine lasted to about 21k). There will be some push and pull on hard u turns.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Usually squealing is a symptom of wear. I just wondered if AWD isn't a factor.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,208 Posts
Quit doing donutz! lol.
All cars and tires will squeal especially in tight turns where slip angles can be large due to limitations of steering geometry. Yes, AWD powers all four corners so that can exacerbate the amount of audible squealing but any car with any tire will do it. Some cars more, some tires more and some less.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean
57 Posts
My tires have always squealed in a smooth concrete parking garage, regardless of the car I’m driving.

I think it’s normal, but I’m no expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R Ltd RIP 2006 Baja Turbo
118 Posts
When was the last time you had the alignment checked?
No unusual wear pattern doesn't mean it's not out of alignment .

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When was the last time you had the alignment checked?
No unusual wear pattern doesn't mean it's not out of alignment .
Less than a year ago. I can get it checked at Subaru when I have them fix an oil leak.
I'm leaning towards an AWD "feature".

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,661 Posts
All cars and tires will squeal especially in tight turns where slip angles can be large due to limitations of steering geometry. Yes, AWD powers all four corners so that can exacerbate the amount of audible squealing but any car with any tire will do it. Some cars more, some tires more and some less.
All true. Plus, road surface finish and temperature can make quite a bit of difference.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. The Subie world is new to me. Unless I was almost on two wheels in a corner I've never squealed like this in all my other cars and trucks. New or old. It's not as bad as all that. I'll just wave to the lookers. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts