Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Limited with Eyesight & 1995 Mazda Miata
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going through tires on my '15 Outback every ~35k miles. I don't drive aggressive, rotate the tires every oil change and drive in normal conditions. Is this normal? Anyone have experience with good tires that last a lot longer?

Edit to add: I have Michelin Premier LTX tires on now which are rated 60k.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,713 Posts
What tires have you been using? The OE Bridgestone Duelers are only 40,000 mile tires (per Bridgestone), so 35,000 miles isn't that far off. I was satisfied that we got 43,000 miles on the OE Duelers on our 2016 Outback.

Check the manufacturers' specs on possible replacement tires. The published tread wear warranty ... up to 80,000 miles these days ... is a useful way to compare different tires. In general, tires with a long tread wear rating will have somewhat lower performance, poorer traction specifically, especially in winter driving. There is no one "perfect" tire. For any tire, maintaining suspension alignment and proper tire pressures can have a big effect on tread wear rates. The driver's right foot ... on both the gas and brake pedals ... also affects tire wear rates, just as it affects fuel economy.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,756 Posts
The Premier LTX was the fastest wearing tire I've ever had. Didn't even make 30k. The Premier A/S was a much better tire in terms of tread wear. Got about 40k out of them and they perform similarly.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
667 Posts
any set of tires that have a warranty of 60+K miles will work, just rotate them every other oil change.

2003 Legacy has 50K on a set of Bridgestone Turenza Serenity + they are half worn, 2014 legacy has 32K on a set of Bridgestone Turenza Serenity +,they are 1/3 worn. outback has 3K on a set of 65K Arizonian Silver edition III

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Before putting on new tires, carefully examine your old tires for unusual treadwear that might indicate incorrect alignment, especially toe.

You could consider the new BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport - they sell them at Costco in our sizes and have good ratings on Tire Rack in many categories including tread-wear performance.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
489 Posts
Michelin Premiers are known to have a short life. Good thing is if you got them thru a reputable shop, like DT or Costco you can get them replaced under the treadware warranty at little cost. It's not a bad deal if you like the tires as you will come out ahead in costs over the ownership of the car to just keep paying the warranty costs.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,042 Posts
Whatever you select it’s best to buy tires that require replacement every 4 years or do.

As for 35,000 miles consider the cost of 70,000 mile tires vs two sets of 35,000. And ask the question as to whether the 35,000 mile tire has better traction or quieter or some other advantage. Is not necessarily an advantage to buy a long wearing tire.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,756 Posts
Michelin Premiers are known to have a short life. Good thing is if you got them thru a reputable shop, like DT or Costco you can get them replaced under the treadware warranty at little cost. It's not a bad deal if you like the tires as you will come out ahead in costs over the ownership of the car to just keep paying the warranty costs.
Yep, and they grip as good or better than any A/S tire I've ever had, dry, wet, or wintry. Worth the minor warranty hassle.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Limited with Eyesight & 1995 Mazda Miata
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got them from my local Tire shop. Hopefully they'll give me some sort of warranty discount. If not, I'll look elsewhere.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
121 Posts
Dang, I'm at 42000 miles on original Duellers. At least 20,000 more miles left on them. Guess I'm going to have the world record miles on these.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ Eyesight, Keyless, Nav, Moonroof
95 Posts
My original Duellers have 35k on them and the tread wear has really accelerated the last 4k to 4/32.

Looking at Pirelli CINTURATO Strada All Season (Discount Tire version of P7 All Season Plus) or General Altimax RT43

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,756 Posts
Are they quiet?
The Premier A/S is very quiet, the LTX has just a touch of tread noise under some conditions (fresh, wet asphalt comes to mind). But they perform very similarly, so I see no reason to choose the LTX over the A/S.

·
Registered
2013 OBP Forester XT
88 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just in case you haven't seen my thread on the Pirelli p7 that I have on my Touring Outback with 18". 50K now and going strong

1 - 18 of 18 Posts