Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, when it comes to tires other than the Bridgestones that most Subaru's come with, what tire does you justice overall? I have the RE92's and they pretty much suck. I will probably get the Continental Contiextreme Contacts in due time. Anyone running other than stock please chime in. Let us know what you have and how it treats you. And I know the newer Foresters come with Yokohama's, but hearing about anything but the stock tire is what I'm looking for. 10-Q. Brian

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
I was running 235/50 17" on my previous Outback H6. I changed the rims for 17" from the standard 16" with 215/60 ( I think the USA gets 225/60 on 16"). The 235/50 17 were Bridgestone Potenza REO40 and are much better than the standard semi off road Yokohamas. They are much quieter on road and handle brilliantly but probably not much good for real off road work.

I have since put these aftermarket rims/tyres on my new spec Outback 3.0R H6. The original tyres are Yokohama 215/55 on 17". I may actually put the Bridgestones on the original 17" rims that come with the new Outback as I quite like the look of the standard rims.

·
Registered
194 Posts
With the mileage on my OB those OEM tires are long gone. It still is equipped with the Michelin Symmetries I bought it with. It seems to be a decent all season tire.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
Well I'm a big fan of Michelin, I'm sure I'll get some new Pilot Sport A/S's or Pilot XGT's after my RE92's are shot. I would love to get some Michelin Cross Terrains for my OB but they don't make them in anywhere near my size or even that for the 17" 2005 Outback wheels :(

Brian, many people I've talked to say that the Pilot Sport A/S's are the best all season tires you can buy. They can be expensive (~$150) but everyone tells me that there more than worth it. Opinons are that they are excellent in the snow, drive with comfort & are quiet on the road, etc. XGT's are one step below that, they would be a little bit more comfortable but not as sporty and cheaper (~$120).

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5l Auto white on silver
14 Posts
I'm after some replacements for my Subie's OEM tyres too. Worth noting that in Australia the Outbacks come standard with Yokohama Geolander G040s and while I love the white lettering on the side walls I don't actually reckon the tyre itself is that great.

To me they have pretty poor levels of grip. I should point out that we do a bit of dirt road driving, but with an Auto not a **** of lot more serious than that.

I would really like to try these Dunlop RV 501s, they look pretty cool ... has anyone tried them?

Cheers Liam

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Hi OutbackInFront,

Not sure what tires Outbacks in Australia used to come with, but they all have the Yokohama Geolandar G900 now, same as all Foresters bar the XT. I find they are a pretty good tire overall, depends whether you want any offroad capability, I'm sure some Bridgestone Potenza RE050 or RE040 would be much better on bitumen but would suck off road.

I do find the braking grip pretty poor with the G900's on dry bitumen, which surprised me, perhaps I'm just used to cars with very high performance bitumen tread. I've had negative experiences with Michelin so wouldn't buy those without an awful lot of convincing. Same goes for Goodyear.

Cheers,

Karl

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for your reply Karl. I figure the OEM specs change, our 2001 came stock with G040s. I'm with you on the Yokies though, I don't reckon they're much chop. But maybe I'm spoilt by the on road characteristics of the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s I usually drive on in our soon to be gone Golf GTI.

The Outback is normally the wife's car! :eek: :eek: ;)

I went to a few tyre outlets in Canberra today and after I told them I want a tyre that will be used for mainly on road, with the odd off road (nothing more serious than a slightly rocky road) they all recommended tyres to me that are basically road tyres. Some had load ratings below the OEM tyres on my Outback. Is that okay?

(The load rating issue is also causing me grief on the tyres I want to put on the after market alloys I have lined up for our MINI when it arrives in around three weeks.)

Haha, sometimes its easier to be ignorant and just pick what you want I reckon!

Cheers

·
Registered
172 Posts
OutbackInfront

You must have at least equal or better load and speed ratings for your tyres or your insurance co. can, if they want to, void your insurance in an at fault accident. It is also illegal.

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Its hard to say with the 4th Gen Outback as there are hardly any tires for it...

But from my experience, I like Bridgestones because they are quieter and have performed well over the coarse chipped surface roads near where I live. The only downside is that they don't last long. They seem to suit Australia really well.. especially the RE92s though probably not for america

I like GoodYear especially the Eagle f1 range. When my mate had it on his volvo it transformed his car's ride. I was so amazed. Note. Those tire were made in germany now I think they import them from Thailand.

Continental in my opinion are abit over priced here in Australia, not sure about USA. You have to be careful in selecting the tires from the range as I found out from my experience. Like Michelin and Pirelli, having the brand does not = to performance to similar priced products. Good thing about the Continental were the durability of the tires. Pity about wet grip. Noise -- average. got worst in the end but you get use to it.

Pirellis from my experience gave awsome grip. Had them on my mate's merc and on my RAV 4 (scorpios) But really noisy on RAV. Again they don't last long.

I would like to give Michelin a try but they are quite expensive.

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
Jondalar said:
Hi OutbackInFront,

Not sure what tires Outbacks in Australia used to come with, but they all have the Yokohama Geolandar G900 now, same as all Foresters bar the XT. I find they are a pretty good tire overall, depends whether you want any offroad capability, I'm sure some Bridgestone Potenza RE050 or RE040 would be much better on bitumen but would suck off road.

I do find the braking grip pretty poor with the G900's on dry bitumen, which surprised me, perhaps I'm just used to cars with very high performance bitumen tread. I've had negative experiences with Michelin so wouldn't buy those without an awful lot of convincing. Same goes for Goodyear.

Cheers,

Karl
XT forester has Yokohama Geolandar G900 16".
as for tyre choice,I have been using "Nexen n2000" silica,on my XR6s and the last liBerty and the tyres are great for performance, value for money,I just hope they manufacture 215,55,17 tyres when time comes for new tyres for the outback 3.0R.
I'll be buying another set in the next few months for my XR6 ute.

·
Registered
14 Posts
subah6 said:
OutbackInfront

You must have at least equal or better load and speed ratings for your tyres or your insurance co. can, if they want to, void your insurance in an at fault accident. It is also illegal.
Yep, that's what I figured. ;)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
loopy said:
Its hard to say with the 4th Gen Outback as there are hardly any tires for it...

But from my experience, I like Bridgestones because they are quieter and have performed well over the coarse chipped surface roads near where I live. The only downside is that they don't last long. They seem to suit Australia really well.. especially the RE92s though probably not for america

I like GoodYear especially the Eagle f1 range. When my mate had it on his volvo it transformed his car's ride. I was so amazed. Note. Those tire were made in germany now I think they import them from Thailand.

Loopy I had Eagle F1's put onto my Mazda 6 Luxury and they ended up being partly why I sold it, they were the made in Thailand variety and while grip and handling were fine, the ride went down the toilet totally. Harsh doesn't even come close to describing it.

I had Bridgestone Potenza RE711 on my 540i and they were a great tire. although a little noisy on the highway they were actually quieter than the OEM RE050's on the Mazda 6.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jondalar said:

Loopy I had Eagle F1's put onto my Mazda 6 Luxury and they ended up being partly why I sold it, they were the made in Thailand variety and while grip and handling were fine, the ride went down the toilet totally. Harsh doesn't even come close to describing it.

I had Bridgestone Potenza RE711 on my 540i and they were a great tire. although a little noisy on the highway they were actually quieter than the OEM RE050's on the Mazda 6.
The Eagle F1s used to be sourced from Germany (I had a set on my SSS in 1997) and they were great. I have Eagle F1 GSD3s on my GTI now and they are also made in Germany and bloody good tyre.

None of that helps me with the Outback though. :(

What to do? I want to run stock size (215/60/16) but don't necessarily want the OEM Yokie G040s.

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Jimmbo, are Nexen tires a sub brand of Michelin? I think Pirelli has one as well, Ceat or something?

Karl, Yea I think that was what happened with the Eagle F1s cos my mate said his second set wasnt that great compared to 1st. Its kinda hit and miss with picking tires...

Outbackinfront, it doesnt look too good... unless you go Bridgestone for on road preference
:p

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
OutbackInfront said:

What to do? I want to run stock size (215/60/16) but don't necessarily want the OEM Yokie G040s.
OutbackInfront Bridgestone do the Potenza GIII in that size, would be a fantastic on road tire, extremely good in the wet too. Iffy off road though..

Cheers

Karl

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jondalar said:
OutbackInfront Bridgestone do the Potenza GIII in that size, would be a fantastic on road tire, extremely good in the wet too. Iffy off road though..

Cheers

Karl
Thanks for that. I'm wondering if a "road" tyre is the best option for me anyway. The most difficult road I am likely to go on would be the road over the Brindabella mountains (past Brindabella itself) ... not sure if any of you are familiar with that road. But its basically a dirt road/track that gets a bit rocky and undualted at times, certainly within the Outback's capabilites, but the tyres???

Cheers

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Hmmm well I've noticed from the couple of off road trips I've done on forestry trails that when it's rocky the sidewalls take a bit of punishment, which may be an issue for you. Maybe buy from a place that gives you the option of swapping for free if not happy (within the first 2-4 weeks).

Cheers,
Karl

·
Registered
172 Posts
Bite the bullet and go 17"

I did, and what a transformation from the 16" on my old H6. I put 235/50 17" Bridgestone Potenze RE040. Great road tyre. Plenty of grip and very quiet, but I don't think much good for off road though. Probably good enough for a dirt road and a well maintained bush track which is as far as I'd take my Outback with original tyres or these.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Boxer3.0R said:
Bite the bullet and go 17"
Haha, great idea, but with the MINI arriving in a couple of weeks--which I took your advice on and got some aftermarket 17s :cool: --and in the middle of selling/buying a house I'll take a rain check. :p

These suggestion are all helping me though, so keep up the good work all.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Just depends how much you want to spend OutbackInfront, the RE040 are OEM on WR-X's, RE050 OEM on Mazda 6 etc, $330 a tire or more tho. The Potenza GIII should be able to be bought for well under $200 each.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts