Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,356 Posts
Might I suggest looking into the entire subforum here dedicated to tires?

Reactions: WhatTheZo

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,945 Posts
Might I suggest looking into the entire subforum here dedicated to tires?
and I moved it there. Tire Discussion - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

humorous question though,....why would someone put more aggressive tires on any car then the manufacturer intended?

maybe the original poster has never seen studded cooper snows like I have run on at least one outbacks since 2002,...or how the

Outback Unpaved - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums section is covered in BF goodrich KO2 lovers.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,945 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,945 Posts
Thanks, but ive decided ill ask questions to less condescending folks and leave this fourm in peace. The first reply was civil but the second guy was just being a jerk. Goodbye

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
I think you will like Naisoc, full of impreza people but they are all very polite.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,945 Posts
and what name are you calling me, the language nanny software is blocking it.

private messages:

I dont understand why you have to be such an *******. I know what studded tires are. I live in snow country.

All i wanted to know is if studded snow tires and all terrain tires made a difference in grip. Perhaps you have never been offroad and dont understand. I willbe leaving this group cause i cant ask a simple question without a bunch of smart asses ruining my day

_____

Also, i have never seen cooper studded tires on an outback.i live in a rural area where pickups rule the scene... THATS WHY I ASKED! I didnt know there a fourm juat for tires so you could have been nice and simply sent me the link to it

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,951 Posts
Well that turned out well for him.

Buh - bye.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,945 Posts

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
1. studded tires are tops. studs don't wear out as much as tire compounds. i know people running huge RWD 1970's cars with studded snows in winter mountain roads with poor snow maintenance.

2. snow tires - in general, yes they are great.

but cheap ones don't often age as well (read the many variables below) - loose traction after year 1 or 2 or 3. I'm favoring Nokians, Michellin and maybe Blizzack at the moment though I and others have noted them not performing as well by year 3.

you can also just buy cheaper snows but replace them sooner.

there are some great Canadian reviews, sponsored by some organization - look for them, they're well worth the read because snow tires can be mandatory in CAN and the reviews seem a little more quantitative than individual reviews.

I like individual reviews for tires more than snow tires. In general individual reviews are tough because comparing snow traction is hard - places get more and different kinds of snow than others, some places really treat roads well - even if they get a lot of snow - and others don't, flat land is easy to drive in no matter what you have, some people don't have to drive in much of it, they get off work, stay put, only make short trips in it - others don't change a beat to their daily life and trudge through whatever, what state, city or tires they previously were in could greatly effect a current perception...and - if people review in the first year - they're likely not to have any review of what year 3 or 4 is like. i'm not a fan of anecdotal snow tire reports, i like an aggregate or quantitative review.

this tension is resolvable, EE is a great aid to this forum even if he happened to rub you wrong today. you'll find him unbelievably helpful with future questions and most importantly not rigid as it may seem at the moment.

Thank you for PM'ing someone personally - that's great personal responsibility and I applaud that, it should happen more often in every avenue of life.

private messages:

I dont understand why.

Without compelling reason, I wouldn't post a PM publicly, particularly in this case where the person is trying to have a conversation and take care of something.

In that same way - the OP could have been direct with the tire question next time so it makes more sense - what are you looking for - what are you seeing that's confusing or why are you finding it hard to determine if snow/studs are worth it for you...something along those lines so it sounds less like a troll - not that i thought you were but it is a vague question for a maintenance item every car owner ever has had to consider.

The first reply was civil but the second guy was just being a jerk.
a couple links were provided, a jerk would make fun and offer nothing constructive.

I see it as "humorous" - not in the making fun kind of way - but with the backdrop of people routinely running snow tires on any vehicle (including FWD and RWD cars that are generally treacherous in snow) and there's folks that lift subarus, divorced t-cases, custom driveshafts, swaps, adapters, differentials for offroading....a very generic question does stand out as somewhat confusing.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,356 Posts
The jerk has been banned. Have a nice day everybody.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts