Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that if u have a bad tire on my outback that u have to replace all..I heard a mechanic say that

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
300 Posts
Is it true that if u have a bad tire on my outback that u have to replace all..I heard a mechanic say that
It depends on the wear of the tires, and that's true for virtually any 4WD/AWD vehicle. The issue is the more worn tires will spin faster than the new tire, and that creates issues for the differentials.

If it's very new, then no. If it's relatively new you might get away only changing two, but you probably don't want much more than 2/32nds difference between front and rear.

Another alternative, or if it's significant wear, you might consider "truing" the tire, which shaves the tread depth down to the depth of the other tires, but at some point it probably would be better to replace all four.

Or of course you could follow Consumer Report's advice and change all four even if you ruin a tire fifty miles after buying a brand new car. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,722 Posts
Is it true that if u have a bad tire on my outback that u have to replace all..
Subaru's official guidance is that all four tires must be the same make, model, and size, and that the circumference (not diameter) of all four tires should be matched within 1/4 inch. This is characteristic of all AWD vehicles, not just unique to Subaru.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,471 Posts
I had a hacksaw blade slice into a new set of tires at 850ish miles.

Subaru replaced it under a puncture warranty and said the wear was low enough that I didn't need a complete set but yes, if the numbers aren't within the range, you either need a new set or any competent tire shop can shave off enough rubber to bring it down to the others.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,619 Posts
This is characteristic of all AWD vehicles, not just unique to Subaru.
This isn't true at all. Haldex-style AWD systems which are normally FWD until they detect a slip don't have the tight tolerance of Subaru. Generally, Subaru has the tightest tire diameter spec in the industry. Some European Torsen-style AWD systems are almost as tight. Your vanilla compact crossover with a Haldex-style AWD system can tolerate much greater variance in tire diameter. It's usually not even in the manual.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
300 Posts
Or of course you could follow Consumer Report's advice and change all four even if you ruin a tire fifty miles after buying a brand new car. :rolleyes:
I stand corrected on this. Consumer Reports discovered tire shaving back in 2018.

But that didn't stop them in 2020 from suggesting replacing all four.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
493 Posts
It depends on the wear of the tires, and that's true for virtually any 4WD/AWD vehicle.
Not the case at all. For Subaru full time AWD this is a recommendation or requirement. However, currently none of my other 4x4 or AWD have this suggestion as they are FWD or RWD most of the time. Some have recommendation of putting a new pair on the rear and moving the older tires to the front for safety.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
This isn't true at all. Haldex-style AWD systems which are normally FWD until they detect a slip ...
Point taken. I should have said "full-time AWD." I will edit my original post.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
375 Posts
…. and some voice in my head says it's also a? good time to get nicer rims & lug nuts along with new TPMS sensors with a programming tool and a better floor jack and a new electric impact wrench ……………….

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback
262 Posts
Now good luck finding a place that shaves tires if needed. Here in Atlanta, I was only able to find one place in Tucker. Otherwise the other places just sell tires.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
…. and some voice in my head says it's also a? good time to get nicer rims & lug nuts ...
My first read: "...it's also a good time to get ricer rims & lug nuts ...." Thank you, Dr. Freud.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts