Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 wrx
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am sitting here at the dealership on a cold, snowy, blowing Saturday that is typical of Colorado “spring”, reading reports of the weather and the 800+ flights that are canceled out of Denver’s airport, I think, “if Subaru made those planes, they wouldn’t have this problem:grin2:.”

This led to a second though, of all the airplanes out there, what one is the most “Subaru”. Subaru started off as an aircraft manufacturer and there are the various aircraft that FHI has made over the decades, but I’m taking about what plane best feels like it shares the same spirit as the Subies we know and love?

My vote is the C-130. It’s not the biggest, fastest, most glamorous or highest tech. It’s a great rugged companion that does just about everything you want it to do out of the most remote places and it just keeps going. Some people don't get the C-130 but to the pilots and crew that work with them that I have talked to, there's nothing else.

So aviation fans here in Outback land, what plane do you think is really Subie and why?

-JMart

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,435 Posts
And you stepped right into the joke about the guy hitting on the girl at the bar:
C-130? That's nothing. I fly a C-150!

-

As far as airplane SUVs: I wouldn't say no to a C170 with floats, skis, and a pair of fat tires. And the opportunity to put it to full use.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Amphib or seaplane is on my list. I like the idea of being able to get into pretty much anywhere there's water.

As for a flying Subaru equivalent. . I'm thinking Maule.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,799 Posts
Boeing 737-200 with gravel kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ7j02DHJ5g

This plane not only offers takeoff and landing capability on gravel, it can utilize remarkably short runways, it has higher wing clearance and a reasonable ground clearance under the engines, and the landing gear has pretty good travel to handle rough runways. Like Outbacks, you can always name something else that can do any one of these things better, but absolutely nothing else does it with this overall economy and style.

And it's a product of the 1960's!

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,015 Posts
My pick, as far as aviation goes, is the Bell Huey. Rough, rugged, adaptable, and capable. The biggest, adaptable workhorse ever made.
My second choice is the DC-3, or C-47 in military form.

P.S. How could I post on this without mentioning the toughest, go anywhere plane ever made, the trusty old Piper Cub...

·
Premium Member
2016 Ouback 3.6R Limited
120 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 wrx
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phht, all pretty airplanes. If you want a small fuel efficient go anywhere airplane then a turbine Maule M-7 is your only choice. Climbs like a deranged elevator, can take floats or skis, laughs at high density altitude, and can drop in on ridiculously short strips.

I just watched your Maule videos, and now I want one. That looks like so much fun.

-JMart

PS- Get the Hakkas for winter, I have them on my WRX and love them. They let me power through deep stuff the Rex has no business in and unless I'm hooning with the VDC off:grin2:, I can't get it sideways in the snow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts