Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Premium, carbide grey
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fast approaching first oil change time. Currently just under 3600 miles. I've always done my own oil changes on my previous cars and very much enjoy doing it. The OB carries a lifetime power train warranty from the dealership and we were told this warranty is only valid if we do the power train maintenance at their shop. Is power train warranty worth the hassle?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,797 Posts
They are blowing smoke so far up your behind that I cannot find enough words in the dictionary to explain it.

It is a lie, dishonest and unethical for them to say that to you.

Change it yourself if you want, using oil approved in the OM, keep your receipts and enter your info in journal of sorts showing the date and the mileage.

Go find another dealer.

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts
Yes, if that's how the Warranty reads. The lifetime powertrain warranty is a no-brainer. Don't do anything to lose that. If transferable, it also adds value, not to mention the protection if something catastrophic happens. Dealer oil changes show on carfax and some buyers like that.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
I'm fast approaching first oil change time. Currently just under 3600 miles. I've always done my own oil changes on my previous cars and very much enjoy doing it. The OB carries a lifetime power train warranty from the dealership and we were told this warranty is only valid if we do the power train maintenance at their shop. Is power train warranty worth the hassle?
Google Magnuson-Moss warranty act. They can't deny warranty if you don't get your oil changed there. But you have to be able to prove you changed oil (receipts/work orders).

Personally I would buy an oil filter from the dealer and keep a copy of the receipt for the oil you purchased that meets the viscosity/grade specified by your owners manual

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,239 Posts
Possibly, if that's how it actually reads. Was this an added cost item, or just clever marketing by the dealer? Assuming you traded in a car, how old and how many miles did you have on it? If relatively new, probably a moot point. You have 5Y/60K from the factory anyway, but if you drive a car to the grave, it might be worth it. Also, whose lifetime? Yours, theirs, or the "useful life of the car"? Dealerships change hands or go bust. Sales people leave. Besides , if I were them, I would never offer a free warranty on something I'd expect to ever have to fix. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see nothing in the powertrain that even requires replacement before 100K or so, only inspection. Just plugs and filters and a brake flush.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,258 Posts
The OB carries a lifetime power train warranty from the dealership ...
Google Magnuson-Moss warranty act. They can't deny warranty if you don't get your oil changed there.
Changing your own oil won't invalidate the original 60 month/60,000 mile powertrain warranty from Subaru. But a "lifetime power train warranty from the dealership" is a separate service contract (not a true "warranty"), and the dealership can impose any limitation they choose. Charging for routine maintenance like oil changes is how they make money enough to cover the "lifetime warranty" ... and then some. If the dealer didn't expect to make money from the deal, they wouldn't offer it.

Is power train warranty worth the hassle?
In my opinion, no ... but only you can decide.

How long do you plan to keep your Outback? There is no benefit at all from a "lifetime powertrain warranty" for the first 60 months/60,000 miles, during which time you will have paid the dealer for at least 10 oil/filter changes, 2 engine air filter changes, 5 cabin air filter changes, brake flushes, CVT/differential inspections, brake inspections, other scheduled maintenance, etc..

·
Registered
MY17 2.5i Limited
37 Posts
I’ve always let the dealer do the first oils change and then randomly through the lifetime of my ownership. So my OB-17 will be dealered at 6k, 24k, 42k etc. this way they check it out while it’s there. I drive way too much and sometimes need someone else to take a look see that things are good.

I’m sure this doesn’t make sense to a lot of people, it’s just the way I’ve done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
after thinking about this, I would take it in to the tdealer the first one, and have them look EVERYTHING over real good for leaks, etc. If there is any leaking, then they can repalce those seals under warranty. For example, going thur the records of my first Subaru, the first owner kept all receipts. that 94 Turbo legacy wagon had intake gasket/vlave cover leaks at 100 miles and they replaced some gaskets at no charge.
I guess if you do your own workm then if you aever soot leaks, take it in so they can get on it, of course, should be at no charge to you if there are leaks to be fixed.

ediit cause I cannot type or spell today.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Third party warranties are not worth the hassle/money in my opinion. A Subaru extended warranty may be worth it if you can't do your own maintenance.

Thanks for the clarification on the third-party warranty not being applicable to Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
738 Posts
I just had a knee replacement 3 weeks ago so I doubt I'll be climbing under the car for a while. I went to the dealer just before the knee for a state inspection and they had a deal per-pay $99 get 3 oil changes with tire rotations good for 1 year and 5k intervals,, no brainer for me I avg 13k a year so I'll have one done now and no problem getting 2 more done before the year is up. **** I can't buy an OEM filter and the oil for that price anyway.

(EE this was Johnstons).

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,797 Posts
I just had a knee replacement 3 weeks ago so I doubt I'll be climbing under the car for a while. I went to the dealer just before the knee for a state inspection and they had a deal per-pay $99 get 3 oil changes with tire rotations good for 1 year and 5k intervals,, no brainer for me I avg 13k a year so I'll have one done now and no problem getting 2 more done before the year is up. **** I can't buy an OEM filter and the oil for that price anyway.

(EE this was Johnstons).
Actually you don't climb under the car. If so you're doing it wrong.

With a TKR you could just fall over like you were tazed and then you use your arms and good leg to scoot under the car. Doesn't your doctor want you to engage in a HEP? Surprise him with your mobility so soon after surgery.

Also put a Fumuto on while you're down there.

I have no idea how you'll get up once you're like a turtle on its back that's not the goal.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,089 Posts
Google Magnuson-Moss warranty act. They can't deny warranty if you don't get your oil changed there. But you have to be able to prove you changed oil (receipts/work orders).
Magnuson-Moss only applies to the manufacturer, not the dealer. Dealers have long offered gimmick "warranties" under the condition the vehicle always be serviced at the dealer and that no "recommended" service be refused. Often 3000 mile 3 month oil changes are mandated along with tire rotation and balance.

·
Registered
17 Outback Touring 3.6R blue 18 Chevy Silverado High Country and a 11 Dodge Challenger SRT 8
322 Posts
Please read there fine print where I bought mine you must do all repairs there and at there time mileage recommendations not Subarus.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
891 Posts
Sure let a dealership change it! You may get freebies like, dings and scratches, smudge marks, and extra/overfilled oil, and oil drops on top of your engine. If your lucky they may even screw up your tire pressure as a bonus!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Premium, carbide grey
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys for the insights. I'll check the purchase documents for the terms of the warranty. Been real busy for the past few days...

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring Dark Blue Pearl, 2019 Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2017 Impreza 2.0i CVT, 2016 WRX 6MT ST2 FF
56 Posts
Sure let a dealership change it! You may get freebies like, dings and scratches, smudge marks, and extra/overfilled oil, and oil drops on top of your engine. If your lucky they may even screw up your tire pressure as a bonus!
You forgot over torqued and stripped drain plugs. This is the axiom I follow: the less a dealer does with your car the better.

Reactions: jdog1

·
Registered
48 Posts
So much this. I made the dealer replace my front seat after a mechanic got grease all over it. My wife's Nissan came home with a drain plug that wasn't tightened and leaking oil, had loose lug nuts, and the air filter box wasn't clamped.

Dealer mechanics are total garbage. Change your own oil. Outbacks are the easiest car ever to change. The filter is RIGHT THERE.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts