Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
01 outback was a 1 owner, hwy miles seems to be taken care of I bought it with 207,000 now has 219,000, had absolutely no leaks, motor was dry,motor is quiet,does not use oil, motor developed head gsket leak dripping at drivers rear, I would like to get 300,000 should i do head gaskets,waterpump,timing belt,valve springs & seals, and all the other seals, or buy a 2003 motor that suppose to have new gaskets and belt for 800 don't know if I can here 800 motor run, it seems i have a good motor with the high miles???
thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
External head leaks are less damaging to the engine. If it's me I'll go with the less damaged engine I know rather than a new "unknown" engine, unless I'm very confident of the new engine. This is harder because you hardly know this engine either.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
If you keep your current engine I recommend you do at least the timing belt or you may need a new engine down the road anyway. You might as well do the water pump while you're in there.

I've read about a "conditioner" or sealant available from the Subaru dealer that can help or possible take care of the small external HG leak. Don't try some aftermarket stuff like Bars Stopleak, it may cause more problems. HG job is either expensive for someone else to do or a real PIA for you to do. Unless you are losing a lot of antifreeze it can probably survive with the just the conditioner.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I had to put a new engine in my 2003 OB this summer (230K). Engine died - likely because of major oil burning - and I just wasnt on it constantly enough with keeping it full. While both mechanics I know that know Subarus tell me they do many engine changes with no issues, ONE of these guys did the engine job. I have had NOTHING but major issues since - the first engine he put in, well lets just say my OB rejected it in about 4 weeks, and the 2nd one he put in has some internal issue that comes and goes and Im at the point where Im giving up on the car and saving for a new one. OTHER people I know that know cars - all say changing engines brings a lot of potential problems, and they say this from a lot of experience with cars. The more people I talk to, the more stories I get about replacing engines in cars leading to strange problems.

To me - I would keep the engine it has and do the work on that, esp if its in as good of shape as you say.

good luck!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Used engines with unknown history are worse than an engine in good condition with 100% known history.

I would work over your engine make it happy again and keep on trucking. You never know if a used engine was thrashed hard before it was tossed on the pallet with a for sale sign on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing