Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5l 4cyl
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are having a slight disagreement whether we should put money into our 2001 Subaru Outback or trade it in for something with lower mileage. It has 160,000 miles on it and while it runs great and we have tried to keep up with oil changes, air filters, fuel filters and the like, we are still having a few problems with it such as check engine light is always on and have gone to a couple of different garages for dignostic and no one can say with certainity what it is. It also has a slow oil leak and we are always having front rotor and brake issues with it. Plus the rear fender wells are starting to rust out. So what do you all think would be a better choice?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Have you done the timing belt? That's an expensive 105,000 mile maintenance item. If you have, I'd definitely get another couple years out of it.

That car is generally good for 200,000 miles rather easily so I'd suggest a couple more years out of it either way. But if the belt hasn't been done you might not like the price tag of that job.

You can post about the check engine light here, we can likely help you, forums like this are great for that.

At least let it take on one more winter so your new car doesn't have to!

The engine will likely experience bent valves if the timing belt breaks so if you're not up for the $500 - $1,000 maintenance of the timing belt that might affect your decision.

Brakes should be easy - Subaru brakes are very robust and don't have failure. Being in the NE they simply need properly done - calipers slides cleaned/grease, pin boots replaced if needed - all simple and cheap stuff that is often skipped by mechanics/shops.

Slow oil leaks generally aren't a big deal either - usually it's just the valve cover gaskets...but it could be other things....should be easy to look and narrow down in a matter of seconds.

Nothing you mentioned sounds that big of a deal, I'd lean towards another 1 - 3 years out of it. Use that time to save up and pay in cash for your next car!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I agree, is $450/mo payments and higher insurance cost preferable over oil leaks, routine maintenance and cosmetic rust damage?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,126 Posts
mention your city and I bet someone here could recommend a shop that will address your concerns and examine the rust etc.

I def. agree on the brake issue - should be easy to get those back to like new, maybe not cheaply - but it won't break the bank either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts