Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks to all who have posted their knowledge helping those like me to keep their Outbacks on the road. A few that come to mind are Subiesailor, 1LuckyTexan, plainOM, lockmedic, grossgary, canubaru, etc. I'm sure I missed some, no offense, you know who you are.

Well, here's my situation. 2000MY OBW, 4EAT. Front differential finally gave on my trusty 'Boobaroo' after 238k of great life. I am not sure if I should give up and part her out or perform the needed repairs to get her rolling again. Below are listed the good and bad, hoping that you may help in my decision making.

BAD:

Transmission (of course) - Front diff shot. I chalk it up to me nursing a delayed engagement with TransX for the last 40k. Had to rev her up a few times to get her to engage.

Engine - Overdue for timing belt and related items. Also needs head gasket job (nursing that issue for 40k as well).

Body - Rust starting at right rear quarter panel. Typical oxidation on paint (it is 13MY old). Paint peeling on hatch from previous accident repair.

GOOD:

Spring 2012 Repairs - New tires, new cat back exhaust, new front struts, new inner tie rods & boots, front wheel alignment.

Interior - Great shape, no rips, tears, issues with the exception of the rear hatch panels not holding well.

Mechanical - Engine never failed to start for me. Never been overheated. Everything working with the exception of above bad. Drove great before failure.

If I decide to keep I'd do the work myself. I figure parts around $600 for timing belt & head gasket job. I'd be looking at a used trans for $700 (max). If I part out, I'd probably make the money I would have to put into it.

Hopefully someone in these forums sees my dilemma and can offer their opinion. I'm on the fence. Had the Boobaroo since we got it as a demo with 3900mi and always wanted her to get to 300k+, but at what price?

Please post your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
You're asking me to decide if you should "pull the plug" on a loved one. If you have another car or can afford another car then it may be time to move on. If this is your only transportation, fixing it is obviously less expensive than buying another car. I've got other wheels besides my Sube, so I'd probably hem and haw for a few weeks and then just flip a coin. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're asking me to decide if you should "pull the plug" on a loved one. If you have another car or can afford another car then it may be time to move on. If this is your only transportation, fixing it is obviously less expensive than buying another car. I've got other wheels besides my Sube, so I'd probably hem and haw for a few weeks and then just flip a coin. Good luck.
Currently driving what was my dedicated trailer tow vehicle (01 F150), so I do have time to think about it. Problem is it's going to cost me an extra $100/mo in fuel.

The wife's car will be paid off next August. That would be the time to look into new wheels for me. Trying to crunch numbers. Hate to toss another grand plus just to have other items fail (I know, nobody can predict the future).

Your thought of 'hem and haw for a few weeks' is exactly what I'm doing. Figured in the meantime I'd get some feedback from you folks. Thanks for the reply.

Jeff

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
try to put those items through a 'triage' (not really 3 sections, more like 2). That way, you might at least get it to next August, then take another look at what you really wanna do.

1. what can you sorta ignore?

rust

minor/moderate fluid leaks (just watch them like a hawk)

any item behind the TB covers that aren't critical (cam seals, waterpump - you can re-visit those in the future if you decide to keep the car)

2. What MUST be done;

transmission - start your search TODAY (what you discover might just make the decision for you, have a number in your head and if you can't get a transmission for that number or less, pull the plug on the car.)

HGs (? not sure on these but, if it's more than just fluid leaks, consider doing it - makes the engine worth more if you decide to part it out, more reliable for the next 10 months w'ever)

Also, do you have a relative or friend that has a kid that needs a school car or cheap work transportation? might be an opportunity to help a kid out - have them come over and put in some sweat-equity, train them in car maintenance, sell it to him cheap. ??? That is, might be a choice other than parting it out.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Where do you live? No, I don't really care where you live but ask yourself if you really want all the grease monkeys in the area coming out to your house to yank stuff off your car?

Do you really want to deal with the phone calls and idiots who accidentally break stuff yanking it off?

Sometimes the answer is yes (the money can be good), sometimes it's no.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
This just comes down to risk.

I think the low risk approach is to dump the subaru, drive the truck 10 months and then go shopping.

So it would cost you roughly a grand extra to drive your F150 until next August, when you'd be able to afford another car.

Think you can get a grand by parting it out? Or maybe do some of the repairs and sell it as a running car for more money? You'd arrive in August 2013 with more miles on your truck, ZERO risk of another $$$ repair, and roughly the same financial picture.

Parting out a car is a lot less risky than repairing a mileage-senior machine.

If you can handle more risk, do the repairs, keep it running and if it goes well you'll save on gas and still have something you can trade or part out next summer.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Fix it. A running used car in decent shape sells for a shocking amount of money these days on craigslist. I personally believe craigslist has doubled the price for a used car because of the great advertising it does. You can set it at the high end and wait for the right buyer. I've done it.

Plus 1.5k is worth it already if it keeps it running for a year. That's 125 a month. Much less than a car payment.

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
tdelker
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing