·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Busted any good Myths Lately?
GroupThink leading your wallet astray?
Let me tell you how to spend your money the Right way.. LOL

for your entertainment, and yes, Im actually serious, these are my opinions, and I paid a lot of money for them, yours for free :)

Just say No to
Self UNdimming mirrots,
mixed Gen2/Gen3 shocks,
Regular gas in an H6,
wireless FM radio adapters,
40 psi front and rear,
Calling Passengers esCargot.
Replacing springs to improve damping rate
Using Stiffer Shocks to increase lateral stability
Fumoto oil valve on an H6 motor without a primitive skid plate.
Curing Ghost walking with Gen2 shocks

Say Yes to
manual dim mirrors, (or help reduce the automatic undimming by putting black tape over 90% of the front sensor on the automatic mirror)
4 corner matched shocks and springs,
Premium shifts Much faster on my H6, and
Tranzit Link charges the phone and feeds audio, with Radio Antenna cut off, to defeat radio interference.
Cold factory pressure is 32front 30rear. Add 1psi to rear for every 50 pounds of Cargo (passengers are not cargo because they are in front of the rear axle, and they are not edible mollusks).
Springs control Ride height, leave then alone unless you want to lower the car.
If you want higher damping rates, use stiffer shocks
Fresh control arm and sway bar bushings will do more to control lateral stability than any shocks or springs changes.
Cure ghostwalking by replacing all the worn out rubber bushings in the lateral links and control arms.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,255 Posts
Why is the whole internet confusing me today?

Premium shifts faster...lol

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,175 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am Frank.
Yes, Im the Doctor. This thread is in your honor.

Now lets clear this up please

Premium shifts faster...lol
Every item I listed is accurate, no joke.
Seriously, the H6 motor running on Premium does interact with the ECU in a way that allows it to command much faster shifts from the 5EAT transmission.

At first I thought I was crazy, and confused, and yes, I expect Frank can confirm that. (not only that Im crazy and confused). The AutoTranny shifts faster in response to engine tune changes. Running Regular gas in a Gen3 H6 seriously degrades transmission shift points and causes Dangerous lag when trying to accelerate suddenly, such as when attempting to merge or change into a faster lane. I thought my H6 was a tired old DOG on Regular, but shes actually not so tired at all on Premium..

The H6 in Gen3 specifically calls for Premium in the owners manual.. next time someone posts about the terrible acceleration lag in their H6, send them to me and I will set them straight :)

·
Master Caster
16,175 Posts
That show soothed my soul...and tickled my funny bone.

Major Frank Burns....FrankenWagon might just just an abrviation...

MFB....(Major Frank Burns...Muthr F'n Bad-OB)

·
Master Caster
16,175 Posts
Yes, Im the Doctor. This thread is in your honor.

Thank You, homage and humor...better than irony and karma. Somehow I got tagged for both today...

Every item I listed is accurate, no joke.
Seriously, the H6 motor running on Premium does interact with the ECU in a way that allows it to command much faster shifts from the 5EAT transmission.

At first I thought I was crazy, and confused, and yes, I expect Frank can confirm that. (not only that Im crazy and confused). The AutoTranny shifts faster in response to engine tune changes. Running Regular gas in a Gen3 H6 seriously degrades transmission shift points and causes Dangerous lag when trying to accelerate suddenly, such as when attempting to merge or change into a faster lane. I thought my H6 was a tired old DOG on Regular, but shes actually not so tired at all on Premium..

The H6 in Gen3 specifically calls for Premium in the owners manual.. next time someone posts about the terrible acceleration lag in their H6, send them to me and I will set them straight :)
@west_minist and everyone on my 5EAT tuning group will confirm this. And yes..there is a high performance international tuning group dedicated to 5EAT tuning.

She ain't your grandma's slushbox, if you treat her right.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,255 Posts
Interesting. The only H6 I've driven was a friends 2nd gen. She only ever put regular in it and shifts were smooth and predictable, and power adequate. Would've had more power with 91, sure, but I can't imagine it being any smoother than it was...certainly felt smoother than the 4at behind the h4s. I guess the 5eats are a completely different animal.

·
Master Caster
16,175 Posts
Interesting. The only H6 I've driven was a friends 2nd gen. She only ever put regular in it and shifts were smooth and predictable, and power adequate. Would've had more power with 91, sure, but I can't imagine it being any smoother than it was...certainly felt smoother than the 4at behind the h4s. I guess the 5eats are a completely different animal.
My XRT 5EAT is pure butter..it is my favorite part of the car...And Frank has some super fancy bits. I do mostly urban slog...but my XRT tuned "Slushbox" is so choice.

The related information...Ed has all the H6 guys on premium...and if you want HP...you are running an octane additive. The H6 pings (detonates)...like a b*stard.

It isn't harmful like in a turbo (unless turbo H6 or SuperCharged H6)...but it robs performance and efficiency. My Jeep...pings like a rattle can...ALWAYS HAS. High, octane helps. But the 4.o straight six that Jeep makes...will run for a week without oil...and without the turbo...no heat

But performance...efficiency. Motor and tranny. In a DBW car, they all work together.

@jon_slider Subaru/OB myth buster. The man with the knife knows his stuff. Don't get me started on "contact patch". Jon...only about 8 of us understand that. Unfortunately...it is so...so critical

AS is TIRE PRESSURE...simple eh?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would've had more power with 91, sure, but I can't imagine it being any smoother than it was
the difference I notice is the size of the RPM drop between shifts..
with Regular its more than 500 rpm (which can be quite pathetic), with Premium less than 300rpm (which feels really quick and is very gratifying)

not more "power" necessarily, but it stays "on the pipe" better between gears (keeps rpm up between shifts better)

I think what may be happening is Premium pings and or knocks less, so the timing is less "retarded" :).. making the motor accelerate quicker, and letting the ECU command quicker gear change selections..? not sure

Don't get me started on "contact patch". Jon...only about 8 of us understand that.
thanks for your kind words
I only know enough about contact patch, to know I dont know enough. :)

You got me thinking about tires, and a new possible
Myth:
"Front tires wear faster than rear"

Yes, no, and maybe? Im not sure its always true. I do agree front tire shoulders wear faster (but maybe not tread depth).

Tread Depth wear might depend on which wheels are the primary drive wheels. And drive wheels might depend on whether the tranny uses a viscous center diff with 90/10 power split, or a planetary center diff like the 5EAT with 45/55 front/rear split.

I don't know enough details about which subies have viscous couplings or planetary gears in their center diffs.. can anyone illuminate a pattern..Are planetary diffs used only in the automatics, or only certain model years, or?

·
Master Caster
16,175 Posts
"Front tires wear faster than rear"
On my OB...the front do not wear faster than the rear, the opposite in fact. Frank The XT, 5EAT) has a rear bias and a happy rear sway bar...what do you think that means to rear tire wear vs front...Hmmmm...??

Especially if I can kick out my rear end with my right foot...Suspension mod affect wear and pressure bias...as well as handling.

Hmmm???...I told you Frank was Watson...or something that made sense at the time. Now we see how a chassis freak helps u debunk myths.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
… rear sway bar...can kick out my rear end
sounds out of balance Holmes! >:)

Would a stiffer front bar that more closely matches the anti roll side loads in the rear, help even out the wear?

What motivates your decision to let the front sway more than the rear, isnt balance a priority?:)

and, why do I keep shoving my tongue in cheek, and why are we not asleep at this hour?

thanks for the fun banter

·
Master Caster
16,175 Posts
Simply...boat time from Japan. I am still waiting on the matched AVO for the front. And I am experimenting.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,352 Posts
I don't know enough details about which subies have viscous couplings or planetary gears in their center diffs.. can anyone illuminate a pattern..Are planetary diffs used only in the automatics, or only certain model years, or?
The super simple cheat sheet:

Manual transmissions use viscous couplings.*

Most 4-speed autos use a multiplate transfer clutch to distribute power to the rear wheels.

Some 4-speed autos (usually only in VDC models) and all 5-speed autos have a planetary diff, aka Variable Torque Distribution in Subaru parlance.

* STi manuals also include a diff, but they don't put these in Outbacks so who cares.

Don't get too hung up on the static numbers for torque distribution bias. Recorded logs have shown again and again that the car will shift torque between front and rear axles frequently and quickly in response to multiple inputs including (but not limited to) throttle angle and measured wheel spin. So that 90/10 vs 45/55 is literally just a freezeframe of the starting state. You can expect those numbers to slew all over the place in as little time as it takes for your foot to floor the pedal.

Regarding sway bars- I happened to upgrade my rear bar some weeks before I upgraded the front bar with a matching unit. The car did exhibit more oversteer during that time. It was pretty easy to notice, but I can't say that it was unwelcome- it just felt more like my Vanagon (and bay-window for that matter) when I let it get loose. If I hadn't already been so comfortable with the handling of those, I might not have liked it as much.

That said, when I got the matching bar for the front, the neutral-to-understeer characteristic returned, but the body stays a lot flatter in fast curves.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 3.0 L.L. Bean - "Spam MuSubi" @ 150k miles
180 Posts
Hey Jon, how are you doing? Started a new role recently, so have not had time to give Spam Misubi some lovin' till now. Just had her tires rotated and rebalanced last week. Oil change due next month.

Two things you mentioned caught my eye.

1. You disabled the rear view mirror auto-dim function? Does that mean its dimmed all the time?

2. You "Cure[d] ghostwalking by replacing all the worn out rubber bushings in the lateral links and control arms."

I'm starting to hear squeaks in the back when I go over potholes and speed bumps (even slowly). I suspect the bushings are to blame. Can you share some thoughts about the time/cost involved to do what you did?

Thanks, and I hope I get the time to go on another adventure with you again. I have not forgotten about the contact patch lesson and have driven with reduced PSI during the last few wet months! I hope you are safe considering all the recent landslides.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1. You disabled the rear view mirror auto-dim function? Does that mean its dimmed all the time?

2. You "Cure[d] ghostwalking by replacing all the worn out rubber bushings in the lateral links and control arms."
good to hear from you :)
that was a fun drive

about the mirror, I added a single layer of eye doctor sunglasses plastic film to the front sensor of the mirror. This makes the mirror dim sooner when there are headlights behind me.

During summer, the Mirror is not dim during the day, it works normally. However, this winter I noticed that when I drive under the shade of trees, the mirror dims during the day. If that happens, I turn off the mirror manually (so it undims).

there are still times when I want the mirror to be dim, and the sensor has not triggered yet, it seems particularly insensitive to some of the newer cool white headlights, so there are times when I either force the mirror to dim by shining a small flashlight that lives on a magnetic cell phone holder on my vent

at the rear facing sensor on the mirror,

and in some cases, I still flip the mirror up so I cannot see behind me. I do not love the auto dim feature, but the layer of sunglasses on the front sensor helps..

The ghostwalking fix was to replace the rear front upper lateral links (I dont have the skills, nor a mechanic willing, to replace individual bushings). The links were obviously loose (worn bushings), diagnosed by my mechanic after I reported a weird side hop in a turn (ghostwalking)..

during the heavy rains, Ive been running 32psi front (4 tread blocks touching in front, 1 less in rear), 30 rear. Once the sun came out I went up to 35psi front (3 tread blocks touching), 32 rear.

parts of hwy 17 were closed due to mudslides, it was the most rain Ive seen here ever (9 years here). Big Sur is also closed due to fallen bridges and mudslides.

I recall our drive fondly, been thinking about an excuse to meet for BBQ somewhere.. :)

enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
516 Posts
You guys concentrate a little to much. They make Titos vodka for such a thing. Drink lots the night before your commute and then just carefully watch the road.

Your driving habits will influence tire wear as much or more than tire pressure and swaybar tuning.

And springs aren't just for lowering bub. They work in two directions ;-)

·
Registered
516 Posts
isis, I try to respect your posts when they are on topic, but tailgating me to criticize my driving habits makes you a bit Trollish

please ignore my posts and stfu about my contributions, you are clearly ignorant as regards the content of my discussion
I wasn't at all. Not sure where you're coming from with that. I thought I was agreeing with you guys. I don't know your particular driving habits and wouldn't know where to find such information. It was a general comment.

I will kindly stfu now. Your thread, your rules. Tough crowd.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts