Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed new tires for Kaylee. Student loan check clears and we're good to go.

Walk into nearest DT.

"Hi. I need new tires for my Subaru."

"All Wheel Drive, you'll be needing 4 tires then?"

"Yup." I like it when parts guys actually know something.

Parts guy walked out to my car to write down the miles, etc. Asked me how I liked the tires that were on it. I said I didn't really care for them at all, but they were less than 15k old when I bought the car. The tires are Potenza G009's by the way. He asked if they were noisy yet, which they were getting louder as they wore. I mentioned that they were just not what I needed during the winter slush. He said that was a common issue on the old G009's, but their replacement G019 seemed to do better, but would be a better fit on something sportier than a stock Outback. I agree, but I knew what I wanted before I got there.

Went inside and said I wanted 4 Michelin Primacy MXV4s. Asked if they would match the DTD pricing, which was about $15 cheaper a tire. He could not match, but took $10 a tire off, which was close enough that the hassle of having tires shipped to my apartment building was no longer worth it so save the extra funds.

In and out with 4 new tires, no appointment, in about an hour.

·
Supporting Vendor
713 Posts
Excellent. I'm happy to hear your local store was able to take good care of you. In store purchases do come with FREE rotations, FREE flat repair and a FREE prorated Road hazard warranty. These services are not included with online purchases so there is some added value if the price was a little more. Excellent choice on your tires and thank you for posting.

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With friends and family, yup.

·
Super Moderator
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got my $70 rebate check in the mail today.

·
Super Moderator
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha!

Origin of name: went to go look at the car and saw it is the metallic silver on gold color combo. My first thought was, "Wow. Shiny." Which made me think of "Everything's shiny, Captain!"

Firefly for the win.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have purchased a couple of sets of tires from Discount Tires since I moved to the Salt Lake City area. They do seem to know what they are doing in terms of proper tires for my Subie. When I mentioned my concern about what to do if I ruined a tire after 15 or 20 K miles. They made me an offer that I felt was very reasonable. If I needed to replace the remaining three tires in addition to the ruined one they would pro-rate the tread wear on the ruined one and sell me three additional new tires at "cost." Sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Asked if they would match the DTD pricing, which was about $15 cheaper a tire. He could not match, but took $10 a tire off, which was close enough that the hassle of having tires shipped to my apartment building was no longer worth it so save the extra funds.
Interesting. My local store matched the TireRack price for me when I bought a set awhile back. They were a special order and they matched the shipping quote from TireRack as well. I saved a ton of money. That was a year and a half ago though.

Wonder why they couldn't match the DTD price.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've been buying from Discount Tire for quite awhile now. Their policy of fixing flats without question of where the tire was purchased and reasonable prices has me going back there time and again.

When my Outback needed new treads they didn't have the tires I wanted, Triple Treads. The guy gave me a bit of a hard sell for what he did have that left me a bit perturbed. But in the end I went online and found another Discount Tire store with the tires I wanted, less than an hour latter, 4 brand new tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love Discount Tire. Free flat fixes/rotations, quick service. Out here they're called America's Tire though.

I was looking for a set of winter rims/tires for my Outback, printed the winter package from TireRack.com (4 steel rims, 4 General Altimax Arctics) and took it into America's Tire. They matched the price no questions asked, ordered, mounted, balanced, installed... super easy.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
oh noes

you used student loan to get tires?
wth
that is exactly an example of why the future people of this country are not doing things correctly. Isnt using student loans on personal things illegal?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't think there is a Discount Tire shop near me, would be nice to have another competitor and one that is linked to online sales.

Also...it was good to have someone post a positive experience. Often online forums (especially car forums) focus a ton on negative experiences. One reason I'm rather cynical in my posting style on auto forums.

I didn't realize Discount Tire was on here as a vendor. Should hit them up for a much needed discount on snow tires I need ASAP.

·
Registered
59 Posts
wth
that is exactly an example of why the future people of this country are not doing things correctly. Isnt using student loans on personal things illegal?
It is his money now - that he will have to pay back eventually - so it doesn't really matter what he does with it. ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wth
When the loan check is for more than the school needs, the school cuts you a check for the difference. Is is smart financially? No. Was it the only way I was getting needed new tires? Yup.

Being a graduate student is the worst financial decision I have ever made.
*shrug*

·
Supporting Vendor
713 Posts
I don't think there is a Discount Tire shop near me, would be nice to have another competitor and one that is linked to online sales.

Also...it was good to have someone post a positive experience. Often online forums (especially car forums) focus a ton on negative experiences. One reason I'm rather cynical in my posting style on auto forums.

I didn't realize Discount Tire was on here as a vendor. Should hit them up for a much needed discount on snow tires I need ASAP.
Thanks for thinking about us. Let us know if we can help you with your tires. We would love to earn your business. :29:

BTW, I dig your avatar. Looks like a great photo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discount Tire Excellent

I went to DT to purchase a set of Michelin Hydro-Edge for my OB. Even though the Michelin rebate had expired the DT guy took $70 off the price on the spot. Sweet!

1 - 20 of 131 Posts