Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Outback 2.5i Touring. 1960 MGA 1600
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My navigation takes me cheerfully to dead ends blocks from the requested address and announces I have arrived.

Today, it told me to turn left on an overpass onto the street below.

Has anyone successfully had the maps or software updated? I plan to have a chat with my local service advisor.

Should I resign myself to not having in-dash navigation? I had Garmin's in-dash system in my previous car - and it worked!

I'm feeling much less happy with Subaru.:frown2:

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring, Dark Blue Pearl
141 Posts
I've found the TomTom system decent enough (and visually so much nicer than my previous car), but no match for Google Maps or Apple Maps. I thought that you were supposed to get 3 years of map updates, but can't seem to find quick confirmation of that. Seems like you are able to do it yourself, but I haven't tried. I suspect that the resources that Google and Apple can throw at their mapping services dwarfs those of Garmin and TomTom, and their services are updated essentially continuously.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
179 Posts
Has anyone successfully had the maps or software updated?
Not yet, but I registered my VIN and can periodically check for updates. Subaru Customer Service told me it would be July or August for an update to 2018 model cars.

This is the link I used to look for updates and sign-up ... Subaru map updates

You have to download a program onto your computer to check for updates. How silly is that?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited; Pearl White
24 Posts
Compared to what I had been using on my 2015 Prius, the navigation on my 2018 Outback has been amazing. In my experience, it's been comparable to Apple Maps, but nowhere close to the accuracy of Google Maps. If +/- 5mins isn't a big deal, I just use the in dash navigation, but if I know there'll be a ton of bad traffic and I'll want to be re-routed accurately, then I switch to Google Maps on my phone. Pity that we can't use Google Maps through Apple CarPlay, unfortunately...

·
Registered
2018 H4 LTD ES
71 Posts
#@**&&!! TomTom

Compared to what I had been using on my 2015 Prius, the navigation on my 2018 Outback has been amazing. In my experience, it's been comparable to Apple Maps, but nowhere close to the accuracy of Google Maps. If +/- 5mins isn't a big deal, I just use the in dash navigation, but if I know there'll be a ton of bad traffic and I'll want to be re-routed accurately, then I switch to Google Maps on my phone. Pity that we can't use Google Maps through Apple CarPlay, unfortunately...

You can, if you have an old iPhone laying around...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,021 Posts
****! I just checked to see if an undate was available for mine. $184.99 + shipping! I can buy a decent GPS for that! Anyone know how to tell if your GPS has the latest updates/

Not yet, but I registered my VIN and can periodically check for updates. Subaru Customer Service told me it would be July or August for an update to 2018 model cars.

This is the link I used to look for updates and sign-up ... Subaru map updates

You have to download a program onto your computer to check for updates. How silly is that?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,208 Posts
****! I just checked to see if an undate was available for mine. $184.99 + shipping! I can buy a decent GPS for that! Anyone know how to tell if your GPS has the latest updates/
I plug my old garmin into my computer and it has a garmin program that handles the updates.
(garmin seems to make one every 3-4 months)

I have a 5" screen with lifetime maps, in gamins code on the model # last digits are "LMT" = Lifetime Maps and Traffic.
(a one trick pony that does its work good, but handy as I take it from vehicle to vehicle,
...and does not hog data on a cell phone)

____

and one of the only things I can say that is good about Jeep: they partnered with Garmin long ago.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Anyone know how to tell if your GPS has the latest updates/
I don't know how to find a date on the actual maps. Even if the map was dated today, though, it doesn't mean it contains every single road change in every single city, town, and village. These things can take time to make it onto maps. Whole new sub-divisions can pop-up in a matter of months.

The most obvious indication for me was the highway 407/412 near Toronto that is being continually extended. This is a major highway! My Subaru shows the state as it was in summer 2016; it is far beyond that point today. The website for the 407 has the dates of the opening of each extension, so it's easy to pinpoint the age of the Subaru map. The plan for the entire highway completion had been published on day 1; so even if sections aren't completed yet, I would at least have expected to see them on the 2016 map as 'proposed' with dashed-lines or something.

Given such a major omission, I wouldn't depend on the Nav in my Subaru in any area that's totally unfamiliar to me. I would use Google maps, and load the offline map data onto a tablet before travelling. Pretty sad to need a $500 tablet as a backup for my $50,000 car. :frown2:

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
After being introduced to WAZE by a younger pal of mine, I realized that my in dash NAV was a HUGE mistake........colossal error in judgement as I passed on the ES package in favor of the NAV which, in the 2015 gen car, was horrible, expensive and annual updates which ruined the in dash Micro SD card due to the Eastern Europe based tech support and seller of the updates.....

Never again, 2020 model is coming and I'll be getting a Gen 6 OB......

Steve

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
15 Posts
I only use Waze or Google Maps. Trying to navigate using the TomTom is painful. The voice functionality of the Google based apps is just so much more useful.

The only thing I wish Waza had that Google Maps does is a map view of the route options.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
Pretty sad to need a $500 tablet as a backup for my $50,000 car.
I predict that you're going to be really disappointed the next time you try to drive your $500 tablet to the grocery store.

·
Registered
2018 H4 LTD ES
71 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring, Dark Blue Pearl
141 Posts
Not without jailbreaking your phone first. Once that’s done all you’ll need is the NGXPlay app.

I highly recommend using an old iPhone (I’m using a 5S) if you have one. This can become your “carputer”.

If you aren’t sure what jailbreaking is, check out Easy Jailbreaking Guide for Beginners - Software Mango

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apple just announced that they will make 3rd party navigation apps (google maps, waze) available through CarPlay in iOS 12, so that will solve that issue!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I predict that you're going to be really disappointed the next time you try to drive your $500 tablet to the grocery store.
As I would be if I tried to order groceries on-line with my $50,000. Subaru. >:)

·
Registered
Outback 2016 2.5 Premium
59 Posts
My navigation takes me cheerfully to dead ends blocks from the requested address and announces I have arrived.

Today, it told me to turn left on an overpass onto the street below.
.:frown2:
All GPSs have their oddities in different locations. My recent Garmin tried twice to steer me right into Lake Washington (Seattle) from a main street that was itself the correct route. On the other hand, it got me through incredibly small, windy, one-way streets in an old city in Brittany.

I don't know where Subaru gets its data layer from. It won't be perfect. I didn't get one for my 2017 Outback because, as others have commented, the map updates alone cost almost as much as a good Garmin with lifetime US and Europe maps. I can take it with me when I travel and stick it in a rental car. Plus, the screen is much bigger than my iPhone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts