Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 week old 2016 Outback Premium that has the factory tonneau cover. Today, I just moved it so I put my bikes in back and after putting it back in place, I cannot pull the the cover out. It is stuck solidly in the full retracted position. I have pulled it out all of twice since getting the car. Once at the dealer before driving home, and once on the 2nd day just because. Not sure why I tried pulling it out this time, but I did.

Any ides? Is there a lock on this thing or am I dealer bound?

Thanks and sorry if this is stupid question.

Steve

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,605 Posts
Just trash can it. The darn things are useless and constantly get in the way.
I completely disagree. It keeps direct sunlight off cargo and hides valuables from view if need be. And at least in 3rd gens can be stowed away out of the way underneath the hatch in the spare tire area.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
1,148 Posts
I have tinted the windows to provide a constant cargo out of view. I keep the snatch straps where the cargo shade cut out is.

Since the above person has a Gen5, it will have privacy tint from the factory.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,383 Posts
I don't think I've used mine ('13) more than a couple times when Christmas shopping. The rear windows are pretty heavily tinted already. I find that I drop the rear seats more often than I use that cover, so I end up removing it more than I use it. I leave it stowed.

But, when you do want to use it, there are good reasons.

Call the dealer, see if they have one in stock, head over at your convenience and let them swap it out for you. It's only a couple weeks old, no reason it should be stuck closed unless something is caught at either end.

OK - they might not really have to swap it out, but there shouldn't be a reason it won't extend. Something might be caught. Did it snap back somehow when closing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. No, it's never snapped back as I've only used it a couple of times. I'm STILL in that new car honeymoon phase that includes wiping the door sills, and brushing the seats when I get out of the car so the nap on the fabric looks nice. Sad really.

Anyway, I do have the Gen 5 and the tint is dark enough to hide the contents. In fact I was putting the cover into/out of the below deck storage when I discovered the problem. I'll call the dealer, get a new one...

To KansasMatthew's point, I do think the cover is a totally nice to have. Had it not been provided, I would not have purchased one.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,383 Posts
I was putting the cover into/out of the below deck storage when I discovered the problem.
That brings up another question:

Was it installed when you tried to pull it out? Or was it removed and you grabbed it with one hand and tried to pull it out with the other?

If (1) then I don't know. If (2) then maybe you weren't able to pull it out evenly and somehow it bound up inside? You might re-install it and try again. It's just a big windowshade, no magic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was installed in the slotted position. Then I put the flap between the seatbacks in place. THEN I pull on the center handle of the cover which resulted in no movement whatsoever. I even just tilted it upwards and it was very tight. Tried two hands evenly spaced. Removed the unit, reinstalled, no love.

I'm sure it's something I've done wrong, but in real-life I run the marketing team and we've had so many of these retractable things fail, it's a wonder anybody would spec them for products intended for more than a few uses. I'm talking about $200-$600 roll-up banners, BTW. Some are built worse than the Subaru cover, some way overbuilt. They all fail, but usually in the deployed or semi-deployed position. I don't think I've ever had one fail in the fulled retracted position.

The car is so new, I figure I'd give Subaru the opportunity to do the right thing, and either show me what I did wrong, or give me a new one. If they try to take it to fix it, well shame on Subaru. I'll report back as I have a Friday-after-Thanksgiving service appointment (an already somewhat irritating step).

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
I agree with a previous post that while I do use the cargo cover from time to time, I surely would not have bought one if my OB didn't come with one. My wife's '15 Jeep Cherokee TH didn't come with one, and we don't miss it a bit. That's what dark tinted windows are for. :)

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,226 Posts
If the 5th gen is anything like the 4th gen, there is nothing magical about it. It is an aluminum channel with the vinyl rolled up on a spool. It is even simpler than a window shade since it does not need to stay open on its own. You hang the end of it in the brackets to hold it open against the spring tension.

I suspect the rod at the end has inadvertently tucked into the aluminum channel. Try removing the cover from the car and pulling it open. You can try manipulating the open slot to determine if the cover has retracted further back in than intended.

I use mine all the time. I leave it open, I leave it drawn. So far so good.
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Touring
4 Posts
Hmmm, I'll try messing around with it a bit and see what happens. I would take it back to the Subaru dealer that I bought it from, but it is an hour away...

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited, Twilight Blue Metallic.
636 Posts
Take it to the dealer.

I use mine all the time. It kept our stuff covered whilst driving on vacation..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remove cover from vehicle and place on a table or whatever working surface you have available. Remove two screws from the plastic bracket on the right end. Slide bracket to the right and allow the spring tension to completely release. Now carefully slide the cover out of the aluminum housing to the right. Try unrolling the cover. You will most likely find a 3 inch square piece of velcro stuck in the middle of the roll preventing the cover from operating. Remove the piece of velcro, roll back up the cover, slide it back into the aluminum housing. You might need to remove the bracket on the left end of housing to get it reassembled. Once the left end is secured, you need to set the tension on the spring that winds the cover into the housing. Wind the right hand bracket clockwise, approximately 25 to 30 turns. Attach the bracket to the aluminum housing and replace in vehicle. Most likely, the piece of velcro was used during initial assembly and failed to get removed during the installation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a2015 Outback (I call her Black Betty. Bam da lam)
I FOUND THE PROBLEM! And FIXED IT!
Took cover out, flipped it over. On the underside, there’s a piece of felt glued to cover. It had gotten unglued and stuck to the shade farther back. I suspect this happened when I flipped the flap (the part that hangs down, at the handle) back and left the car In the heat.. I think I probably let the cover snap back instead of handling it like the roller shade it is.

Just pulled on cover, inserted finger around to unstick the felt from the wrong place and pressed it back down in place. Ill let you know if this fix lasts. Will also consider removing the felt piece for good or finding a better adhesive for it. I think it’s there just to make the retracting smoother sounding and feeling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a2015 Outback (I call her Black Betty. Bam da lam)
I FOUND THE PROBLEM! And FIXED IT!
Took cover out, flipped it over. On the underside, there’s a piece of felt glued to cover. It had gotten unglued and stuck to the shade farther back. I suspect this happened when I flipped the flap (the part that hangs down, at the handle) back and left the car In the heat.. I think I probably let the cover snap back instead of handling it like the roller shade it is.

Just pulled on cover, inserted finger around to unstick the felt from the wrong place and pressed it back down in place. Ill let you know if this fix lasts. Will also consider removing the felt piece for good or finding a better adhesive for it. I think it’s there just to make the retracting smoother sounding and feeling.
Yes!!! Thank you, I just did the same thing and it fixed mine as well!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts