Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE OUTBACK OF THE MONTH
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Touring (Canadian Model) with Eyesight
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm guilty of warming up my car before driving but tonight I just started the engine and pretty much just drove off. Immediately I saw the Eyesight words with a shoulder strap diagonally across it. There was an icon stating that there was more information available. I toggled the Info paddle and was informed the car was too cold for Eyesight.

Wow, can't say I've seen that before.
It was however, -20°C

Attachments

·
Registered
MY19 Outback 3.6R Premium
642 Posts
Never seen that before either. Probably expects that the widescreen or cameras will fog up or something in the interim, so it's safer to be off temporarily. I'm assuming that warning will disappear later as the car interior warms up, or perhaps the EyeSight gear has a specific operating temperature?

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
5,225 Posts
I've regularly seen temperatures at that level and even much colder and I have never seen that message. Eyesight has worked for me even down at -35F. And I rarely warm my car up much before I take off.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
561 Posts
I have experienced this a couple times where it’s so cold, getting in the car and exhaling warm moist air as we all do can sometimes condense on the upper part of the windshield and fog the camera. Or on the camera lens itself. With the defrost on, once it warms up, the issue resolves itself. At least that’s been my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
266 Posts
I have experienced this a couple times where it’s so cold, getting in the car and exhaling warm moist air as we all do can sometimes condense on the upper part of the windshield and fog the camera. Or on the camera lens itself. With the defrost on, once it warms up, the issue resolves itself. At least that’s been my experience.
I've seen this, too. Also have seen Eye-Sight stop working while:
  • driving into the Sun
  • Heavy rain
  • Snow (relatively heavy)

All of it makes sense. The "too cold"? I don't get that.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,914 Posts
... was informed the car was too cold for Eyesight ... It was -20°C
EyeSight does indeed have low and high temperature limits programmed into it. It's even noted, more than once, in the EyeSight manual. The Factory Service Manual further states that EyeSight may enter Temporary Stop mode at temperatures above 70°C (158°F) or below -10°C (14°F).

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,807 Posts
EyeSight does indeed have low and high temperature limits programmed into it. It's even noted in the EyeSight manual. The Factory Service Manual states that EyeSight may enter Temporary Stop mode at temperatures above 70°C (158°F) or below -10°C (14°F).
If the ambient temperature ever gets to be 158 F, we're all in a LOT of trouble. . . LOL.

Steve

·
Registered
2019 Touring (Canadian Model) with Eyesight
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No fog, no breath, just too cold in the cabin. Once I drove it and it warmed up the message disappeared. It was definitely just temp related..

I use cruise control all the time since it's adaptive. Ya notice this when it's not available.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,914 Posts
If the ambient temperature ever gets to be 158 F, we're all in a LOT of trouble. . .
Park your Outback, windows closed, in the sun on a hot summer day in any state along the southern border of the U.S. and the heat-soaked interior temperature (i.e. the temperature "felt" by the EyeSight camera module) can easily exceed that limit. I have personally experienced it several times in the desert southwest of Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
EyeSight does indeed have low and high temperature limits programmed into it. It's even noted, more than once, in the EyeSight manual. The Factory Service Manual further states that EyeSight may enter Temporary Stop mode at temperatures above 70°C (158°F) or below -10°C (14°F).
Although it says "may enter" I'm surprised I haven't seen the low temperature warning. We often go weeks at a time where the high temperature is well below 14F. The only message I have seen for Eyesight disabling is "No camera view"

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited
913 Posts
sometimes it's rain. or fog. or snow and ice caking up... also, majority of winter mornings when it is cold(er) than normal since owning my Gen 5.

same goes for the ice snowflake / icy roads warning. that one really annoys me sometimes. lol.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,807 Posts
Park your Outback, windows closed, in the sun on a hot summer day in any state along the southern border of the U.S. and the heat-soaked interior temperature (i.e. the temperature "felt" by the EyeSight camera module) can easily exceed that limit. I have personally experienced it several times in the desert southwest of Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.
I was merely being tongue-in-cheek regarding the ambient temps. I hear you regarding the heat soaking of the interior and subsequent possible Eyesight shutdown. :cool:

Steve

Reactions: ammcinnis

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Although it says "may enter" I'm surprised I haven't seen the low temperature warning. We often go weeks at a time where the high temperature is well below 14F. The only message I have seen for Eyesight disabling is "No camera view"
Of course the key to that is the part about the only message I have seen being "No camera view" It is quite likely that the one for temperature range had appeared and I just never noticed it.
This morning presented the perfect opportunity to put it to the test. When I got home from work this morning after night shift the temperature was -27F. I had driven my truck to work so my Outback was completely at the mercy of the cold without even having the block heater plugged in. I figured it would be a good time to test my now 4+ year old Everstart Group 24 battery. The Outback started right up though it did seem to crank a little longer before it fired.

When it started this was what I saw:

Speedometer Car Trip computer Gauge Automotive design

Clock Font Automotive lighting Auto part Gas

·
Registered
2020 Premier XT
70 Posts
Ok so I'm guilty of warming up my car before driving but tonight I just started the engine and pretty much just drove off. Immediately I saw the Eyesight words with a shoulder strap diagonally across it. There was an icon stating that there was more information available. I toggled the Info paddle and was informed the car was too cold for Eyesight.

Wow, can't say I've seen that before.
It was however, -20°C
Happened to me this morning 5:30am, -28c with windchill.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Had another first this morning. Once again it was -27F. Same as the other day the Eyesight was disabled with the temperature range alert on the dash. I took off for work and shortly after I pulled out I hit the high beam lever and nothing happened. I didn't think much about it because sometimes the street signs reflect enough to keep the high beams from turning on when the High Beam Assist is on. This time though they never came on. I hit the lever back to low beam and then back to high beam and again nothing, but this time I noticed the message "High Beam Assist Disabled".

It turned out that the this was disabled separately from Eyesight, and the High Beam Assist came on after about two minutes of driving, and the Eyesight took a little longer; about 8 minutes I believe. That might just be the case for the 2017s though because I think in 2018 the third camera isn't used and the HBA must use the regular Eyesight cameras. I don't know if that was the first time it happened for me or just the first time I noticed the message.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts