Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subaru seems to be losing their sense of adventure! All these ads about hitting the road and enjoying the great outdoors and the driving experience; why do they clutter up the interiors with gigantic and distracting infotainment screens and countless "apps" and bells and whistles and buttons and colors galore? The pod of controls stuffed on the steering stalk is mind boggling! The needed and wecome safety features shout out their presence like a major fire drill! I know, its the times. Manufacturers are competing for the business of people who think these thing are necessary and cool. That's fine.

But, why can't Subaru at least offer a top-of-the-line Outback with common sense basic and useable controls and without the space-stealing over-large screen and the LED arcade instrument pod? Many loyal Subaru owners might still appreciate subtle and common sense instrumentation options with the upscale interiors. Instrumentation should be minimal and necessary; controls placement and operation should be intuitive and functional without taking ones eyes off the road.

Old school? Yep. But I like eyes on the road; that where to joy of traveling and driving lies.

·
Registered
263 Posts
They do it to keep pace with other manufacturers or they wouldn't be selling any vehicles. I am not fan of alot of the new tech but you can always turn it off and still enjoy the outdoors with it. Many people here have new Outbacks and still go and do outdoor activities on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
well, I guess it depends on your adventure

There is something about less electronic doodads though. Like my first car with nothing but an AM radio and a single speaker. Power nothing. Not even AC. That was a road trippin experience.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Y'all know that every vehicle in the US is mandated to have a screen for the rear view camera right?
I love that. Backup cameras are the best thing ever. Please Subaru, never stop including volume and tuning knobs.

As far as the safety features, particularly AEB, it’ll be very interesting to see stats 10 years from now regarding the reduced number of accidents. I predict the reduction will be stunning.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Y'all know that every vehicle in the US is mandated to have a screen for the rear view camera right?
But some cars have that screen as part of the rear view mirror. Don't need an 11 inch monitor in the center of the dash.

·
Registered
45 Posts
But some cars have that screen as part of the rear view mirror. Don't need an 11 inch monitor in the center of the dash.
I had that on my 2012 Enclave - pretty stinking useless as far as backup cameras go.

I, for one, was SUPER pumped to get some tech in my new Outback. I travel a good bit, and Apple car play was at the top of my list of requirements for a new vehicle. Well, that and safety ratings. ;-p

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
As far as the safety features, particularly AEB, it’ll be very interesting to see stats 10 years from now regarding the reduced number of accidents. I predict the reduction will be stunning.
According to some studies already done the forward Auto Emergency Braking shows an 85 percent reduction in rear end collisions.

Subaru often cites that number in their advertising and after my testing I'm inclined to agree.

However I never see anything cited for the rear AEB and after my testing I can see why Subaru doesn't give any hard figures on it.

It is pretty weak in comparison to the forward AEB.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
True!

But I still don't know many manufacturers doing moving away from screens.

A $100 touch screen makes people think they've bought a luxury vehicle when they've bought a value vehicle with a $100 touch screen bolted to the dash.

Screens sale cars and the customer is always right.

The most bare bones vehicle I can think as far as road tech is a Jeep Wrangler.

It doesn't even have an option for adaptive cruise control even though it costs 50k+ for a loaded one.

The interior still ends up looking like this:

·
Registered
921 Posts
A $100 touch screen makes people think they've bought a luxury vehicle.

I can't agree with this assertion.
Last night I had to make an emergency run to a vet hospital. Not only would Android Auto not cooperate, the HU when off was not at zero illumination. Nice big blue box staring back at me even with illumination turned almost all the way down.

Subaru's choice of HU manufacturer, and the immaturity of the unit firmware leaves much to be desired.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
A $100 touch screen makes people think they've bought a luxury vehicle.

I can't agree with this assertion.
Last night I had to make an emergency run to a vet hospital. Not only would Android Auto not cooperate, the HU when off was not at zero illumination. Nice big blue box staring back at me even with illumination turned almost all the way down.

Subaru's choice of HU manufacturer, and the immaturity of the unit firmware leaves much to be desired.
Always the simple solution, get directions from Google Maps.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Thank you for asking.

Our whippet received multiple puncture wounds and tears requiring 10 sets of sutures, some quite large, and two drains. The other dog is known to be a pit mix with aggressive behaviors. But, our whippet must have seemed like a racing bullet towards the mix. Sad all the way around. We are fortunate we got some great care ❤ for our pet.

In an emergency, you want the technology to just work, and while being relatively reliable for a month, I just couldn't get the phone to connect to the HU via Android Auto. Dog's bleeding and shaking, wife's crying, ATL traffic zipping in and out of lanes... I just shut the $!#:;;&&(((×=/*£'". display off... I was at 15 angry on a scale of 1 to 10. Sadly, the HU couldn't go dark properly when I just wanted that little additional tranquility in that moment.

The programming team responsible for the firmware needs some infusion of QNX RTS talent and dedicated effort. The HU does not come across as productized fully. Subaru should invest in much much much higher quality in this part of the car, specially now that they are pulling in more functionality, when perhaps doing the opposite is warranted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Let me take on the steering wheel. Firstly, the cruise control is like the cruise control on any other car and located in the same place. The ability to adjust the volume and station of the radio from the steering wheel is not only convenient but it is a safety issue as well. The manual mode for the transmission and the paddles on the steering wheel provide the benefits of a manual transmission when it is the best solution for the situation.

The screen between the speedometer and tach is a little silly I suppose but I leave in one mode and don't mess with the controls to change its modes. If you leave that screen on the speed mode you can ignore the analog meters and monitor speed with big white numbers. Overall it is a plus.

I don't use the dashboard screen for much. If I need navigation I plug the cell phone in and use Google maps projected on the screen. I don't need it much. I hate the backup camera so I ignore it when I back up.

I love the adaptive cruise control and the lane departure signal and correction. Best of all I love the brakes which are the best I have ever owned on any car, including sports cars. All in all I like the technology. I'm a happy Outback owner.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Let me take on the steering wheel. Firstly, the cruise control is like the cruise control on any other car and located in the same place. The ability to adjust the volume and station of the radio from the steering wheel is not only convenient but it is a safety issue as well. The manual mode for the transmission and the paddles on the steering wheel provide the benefits of a manual transmission when it is the best solution for the situation.

The screen between the speedometer and tach is a little silly I suppose but I leave in one mode and don't mess with the controls to change its modes. If you leave that screen on the speed mode you can ignore the analog meters and monitor speed with big white numbers. Overall it is a plus.

I don't use the dashboard screen for much. If I need navigation I plug the cell phone in and use Google maps projected on the screen. I don't need it much. I hate the backup camera so I ignore it when I back up.

I love the adaptive cruise control and the lane departure signal and correction. Best of all I love the brakes which are the best I have ever owned on any car, including sports cars. All in all I like the technology. I'm a happy Outback owner.
I agree with most of your post. I use the navigation so that dash screen is nice for imminent turns.

Why do you dislike the backup camera?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So turn the screen off if you don't want it.

What manufacturer doesn't have an infotainment screen?
These arcades are growing like topes and take up a lot of dashboard real estate even turned off. Small screens can be useful for navigating, but more and more they force other intuitive and useful controls to be moved non-sensical locations. To each his own, but I think Subaru could offer more controls options to please drivers with different priorities.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
34 Participants
jakemccoy
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing