Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
My stiff neck does not allow my head to turn completely around. Everybody on the road should be glad backup cameras are a thing, because drivers like me are out there.
Yeah, same here. I can barely turn to look out the back window, and only if I grab the passenger head rest and pull on it. And it hurts to do so. Must be arthritis.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You can turn off the infotainment screen.

To do so hold the volume knob for a few seconds.
Well what do you know! You are correct!
The salesman told me we could not turn it off.
That being said, when the Infotainment screen goes blank, the radio goes silent. If you know a way to play audio without the screen lit, please advise.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Well what do you know! You are correct!
The salesman told me we could not turn it off.
That being said, when the Infotainment screen goes blank, the radio goes silent. If you know a way to play audio without the screen lit, please advise.
You might wish to try this at night. It doesn't really turn off. Trust me. You can turn it way down, but it still glows from back-lighting. And note, all the buttons on the side remain illuminated... So you can find them. But finding the infotainment display? It is still visible. It is never OFF. :devilish:

·
Registered
93 Posts
You might wish to try this at night. It doesn't really turn off. Trust me. You can turn it way down, but it still glows from back-lighting. And note, all the buttons on the side remain illuminated... So you can find them. But finding the infotainment display? It is still visible. It is never OFF. :devilish:
I'll try that.
Thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I believe I have the perfect solution. The first Subaru I ever drove. Didn't have any of this technology.... no power windows, no power steering, no air conditioning, just a radio no cassette deck.

*Just being humorous everyone, so please don't take my response to seriously. But that '93 Justy was great on gas and never broke down.

·
Registered
43 Posts
All Outback, Forester, and Ascent models have Eyesight standard on them. Base model Crosstrek and Impreza have Eyesight available.
My OB is a 2015. Eyesight was available, but not standard back then ... and mine certainly doesn't have it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
All Outback, Forester, and Ascent models have Eyesight standard on them. Base model Crosstrek and Impreza have Eyesight available.
In the USA, not Canada for 2019. Eyesight will be standard on all OB for 2020 but in 2019 the first two trim levels don't have it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can relate on the good and bad. I have an issue in my 2009 Forester where the radio will just start going crazy flipping channels. I think it's the steering wheels controls malfunctioning.

I do hate them because now I need to trouble shoot it, spend money to fix this ****, all for some extra buttons on the wheel.

I should swap in a racing wheel and call it a day.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My Subaru dealer also sells Dodge and Jeeps so there is that alternative. I like to haul my dog with me and get in the woods and country. I think dog slobber and fur resistance could be improved. Dog Friendly is just a slogan rather than actual features. As to the dashboard, I like it. The infotainment screen on my 2019 is much easier to use than my 2015.

After 90,000 miles in my 2015, I became very familiar with what did what and didn't need to look. Now the 2019 has cruise control buttons a little differently but I'm quickly readjusting my finger memory.

But, why can't Subaru at least offer a top-of-the-line Outback with common sense basic and useable controls and without the space-stealing over-large screen and the LED arcade instrument pod? Many loyal Subaru owners might still appreciate subtle and common sense instrumentation options with the upscale interiors. Instrumentation should be minimal and necessary; controls placement and operation should be intuitive and functional without taking ones eyes off the road.

Old school? Yep. But I like eyes on the road; that where to joy of traveling and driving lies.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
FYI Carl, your "confidence in motion" reference? Hard to see in "dark mode". :p
Changed dealerships, so I couldn't use the same awards.

Regarding the head units - I've had a chance to play with them at a training session. They had a whole room full of head unit training simulators. The thing is set up with discrete areas for functions. I'm still under embargo so I can't give my opinions about them.

I can, however, give my opinions about cars in general, since I do sell both new and used - and we see some of the most ungodly head unit combinations on other vehicles. On some cars out there, absolutely NOTHING is intuitive on what to do. Even trying to FIND the radio or A/C controls is a nightmare.

Back-up cameras are required by law on all new vehicles sold in the U.S. Having a larger screen helps those of us who are getting older and who cannot turn our heads. That dinky screen in the mirror or like the old Forester had was close to useless. I've got degenerative disc disease and bone spurs on my spine (which I suspect are partially due to driving a forklift for many years at the car plant, and being twisted around so I COULD see behind where I was going), so it's VERY rare for me to do what I was taught in drivers ed - my body simply won't.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When the HUs came out for the 2018 Subarus, I recall reading several professional car reviews that rated them among the better HUs out there at the time.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
When the HUs came out for the 2018 Subarus, I recall reading several professional car reviews that rated them among the better HUs out there at the time.
That is a good example of why the underlying details of the review are most important. Like, what features are most important to you? For me, the top priorities of a head unit are reliability and longevity. Ideally, I want the head unit to be as reliable as the windshield, which I never think about not working. Regarding longevity, I want my head unit to be operable 15 years in the future, because I have a history of keeping each car I own for 15+ years. If the feature is highly unlikely to be operable for that long, then I don’t want it in there. That would piss off a lot of customers. So be it. That’s what I want.

After we rate those, I would be interested in rating other features.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That is a good example of why the underlying details of the review are most important. Like, what features are most important to you? For me, the top priorities of a head unit are reliability and longevity. Ideally, I want the head unit to be as reliable as the windshield, which I never think about not working. Regarding longevity, I want my head unit to be operable 15 years in the future, because I have a history of keeping each car I own for 15+ years. If the feature is highly unlikely to be operably for that long, then I don’t want it in there. That would piss off a lot of customers. So be it. That’s what I want.

After we rate those, I would be interested in rating other features.
Well, reviews aren’t great for assessing reliability. They were referring to the overall interface.

I have no clue how the reliability of Subaru HUs rate compared to all the rest, but I have no doubt the entire industry is plagued with glitches. Just pointing out that we should have some perspective.

But this is from a guy who’s HU has been little trouble in the first year.

·
Registered
921 Posts
From reading the windshield and head unit complaints around here I think you may have gotten your wish.:devilish:
Now that was funny - and you beat me to it. I think @jakemccoy stated it pretty succinctly - the HU in my 2019 does not seem like it will be the thing going strong when the rest of the vehicle is just about broken in. And because of the integration, I'm almost stuck with a Subaru OEM solution.

On a 2020, it's game over. 11.6" diagonal display with portrait orientation? I'm still shaking my head. This seems 3x - 5x more dissonant than the display in the '19 OB. When a reviewer uses adjectives like gorgeous, stunning, beautiful, etc, I think, that (a) must be lonely, and (b) no self-respecting engineer would have opted to implement this HU. It had to be driven by factors that were placed in power-point presentations by those that were out of touch with common-sense and that shouldn't have had input in the over-all design. Form, fit, function? They took a back-seat and it's glaringly bad.

I appreciate Carl's response. I too am a DDD sufferer, and some days, are better than others with respect to pain. Recent L0/L1/L2/L3 surgery has done wonders for me personally. I appreciate being able to both look over my shoulder, and the mirrors (please Subaru, fix the driver-side mirror so it has more travel distance so it can be set properly), and the backup display, and I can confidently state the rear crossing detection in the car has saved the day for me a few times already... People are traveling in parking lots too fast, and people aren't bothering to look where they are walking. When you are parked next to a gigantic SUV that you can't see over, how are you supposed to visually see the crossing traffic?

I've written enough I think about my take on the HU. People can judge that YouTube video for themselves.

If you want to see some well engineered displays, look at what the systems being manufactured by some of the traditional automotive audio companies. Again, I'll take Carl's word that Subaru's HU is better executed than that by many other car-makers. But in comparison to a multi-media receiver like those available at Crutchfield, I keep asking myself, what was Subaru thinking? Is anyone actually thinking critically about this portion of the car? If they are, I see zero evidence of it and it's sad to see this trend to bigger and bigger displays, with more and more integration / functions go out of control.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I just had to place another link to the YouTube video reviewing the infotainment display. And this time I'll insert just a URL link, and not a SUPER HUGE PICTURE of the video, like the gratuitous HU!

Sorry, sorry - still can't help myself. :devilish:
2020 Outback Infotainment Display

Read the comments left by people for the video on YouTube. Subaru is taking a big swing (and I believe resulting in a fouled off ball) with this one. It is not, NOT a good look (look at the comments posted on YouTube).

The upper and lower portions do not even support Android Auto nor Apple Car Play, and for most things, go greatly unused. They are gratuitous.

It is as if someone or some group, whom must not be identified within the company, said, let's go with a really big honking "portrait-mode" display of gargantuan proportion, and then the infotainment engineers worked as quickly as they could to try to justify the upper and lower parts and do something useful and informative with content, but they just have not been successful (yet).

I love the poster's comment (can't remember if it was this thread), how do you use this with gloves on? I'll add one, how do you use this without encouraging one to take your eyes off the road? One cannot leverage eyes on road / muscle/tactile memory here.

And with such a large display, what about all the extraneous lumens in the cockpit during night-time driving? This is totally the poster-child for distracted driving.

Subaru, it's not too late for a 9th inning save. At the very least, have the engineers investigate and develop tweaks to turn off / hide the upper and lower portions so that (I recommend a double-tap gesture in that area) so only the Android Auto or Apple Car Play display portion is shown. Make it possible to also "move the AA or ACP" or re-arrange the three display areas. Allow the AA/ACP area to be moved up to be top-most, or down to be bottom-most with a swipe gesture, and turn the rest "off" so it is essentially a dark area (maybe a triple tap - experiment). If you count the HVAC control area, I guess that makes four areas to control / hide / un-hide.

Open up the diagnostic mode (and we know it exists because it is accessible on the '19 OB, heh heh) to show all the data on the bus, like you'd see on Torque/Active OBD... (yeah, make it so it can be called up with the vehicle in PARK so it is safe). I mean, there's still potential to add some serious value to the otherwise exceptionally large, but unnecessary screen real-estate since people are going to be paying for this huge non-optioned item anyway.

Also get the engineers, to make the top part (above the AA/ACP portion of the display) truly useful... Power to particular wheels? Angle of body inclination? Really? For whom? For off-roaders? For people named Brucey? OK, but let someone decide those 3 or 4 items THEY really want to see in real-time, not what was chosen for them. Allow customization for goodness sake, and therefore, be customer-facing, not designer/implementer-centric. That's smart! That's cool. That's appreciated.

The lower part (the part below the AA/ACP portion of the display)? Well, that doesn't really display much of anything useful when using AA/ACP, unless the front passenger or middle passenger in the back wants to know what is playing on the radio, or streaming or the Sirius channel that's playing. That is not all that useful for people except perhaps when music is transitioning. And if you are using NAV, why would you want to see that other stuff? With AA for example, it is displayed when the song changes. That's plenty when the map is up.

And for the lowest part? Well, I sense the damage is done with the climate control (good thing you provided hard buttons for temp up/down, and front/rear defrost)... I have no good ideas at the moment for what you do there. I think it's time for the "search for the guilty" internally. Just kidding.

Suggestion - offer an alternate UI. A double-din sized replacement for the whole thing, and the pieces that restore the hard button controls of the 2019 and it's immediate predecessors. The huge portrait display does not make the interior look cool, hip, functional, reliable, rugged, quality built to stand up to long-use.

The vehicle is not a SpaceX/Dragon nor Tesla vehicle. Don't make the Subaru vehicles try to be something they are not.

The company is pushing the display in a direction that does not seem to make sense from a safety, value, competitive, reliability, ergonomic or cost perspective... This is all "push" technology (i.e. onto consumers), not "pull" (i.e. at the request of consumers). Why do it? What is strategic about it?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I just had to place another link to the YouTube video reviewing the infotainment display. And this time I'll insert just a URL link, and not a SUPER HUGE PICTURE of the video, like the gratuitous HU!

Sorry, sorry - still can't help myself. :devilish:
2020 Outback Infotainment Display

This is all "push" technology (i.e. onto consumers), uull" (i.e. at the request of consumers). Why do it? What is strategic about it?
Subaru is going hard in the opposite direction of what I want. However, I disagree with your point about this being “push” technology. A lot of customers see this huge display and associate it with high tech, the new cool thing, Tesla, space ships, awesome dad, etc. Such folks are the silent majority. They are not on Youtube sharing their thoughts. They just quietly know they like big head unit displays.

Big displays help sell cars. On this site, anybody who criticizes huge displays is called a “luddite” or a “troglodyte”. The irony is that, based on that video, there is no tech advancement going on. It is just a bigger display with more controllers moved to the display and made to be more complicated than necessary.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Big displays help sell cars. On this site, anybody who criticizes huge displays is called a “luddite” or a “troglodyte”. The irony is that, based on that video, there is no tech advancement going on. It is just a bigger display with more controllers moved to the display and made to be more complicated than necessary.
I am with you. I've been called a "luddite" before. It's sometimes a badge of honor, being a person in the high-tech world. But then I remember what was accomplished back in 1969 when man walked on the moon.

I agree, there is a population that thinks they need the biggest, next best thing, and there are those that do not. Clearly from polls, the average age of owners of the Outback is up there. I do not think the real hipsters, the younger people that get interested in a Subaru at a much younger age necessarily fall into that group of people that want big. Infact, I believe the opposite...

There's a growing number of people that understand some things are simply not sustainable. I'd prefer Subaru stick to the fundamentals that made them what they are, instead of being a car-maker lemming. Some people want safety, reliability, ruggedness, value, multi-purpose. Subaru needs to focus on them and quality execution... "build it and they will come".

As for the Troglodytes, the cave-dwellers of Europe, they lived simply and smartly below ground or in caves in the side of mountains near their crops they worked and hunting grounds. They were protected from the elements via natural structures that were sustaining. When someone is compared to a T, that's a definite complement.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
34 Participants
jakemccoy
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing