Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
As for the Troglodytes, the cave-dwellers of Europe, they lived simply and smartly below ground or in caves in the side of mountains near their crops they worked and hunting grounds. They were protected from the elements via natural structures that were sustaining. When someone is compared to a T, that's a definite complement.
When they did venture out for hunting or working their crops they would station lookouts to watch their backs and warn them of approaching predators. Kind of an early version of the Rear Cross-Traffic Alert.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I believe each lookout had their own unique call. The Ts could identify where the predators were relative to them. No chimes, but in some ways more advanced than current technology. On the other hand, when the call stopped, it was not clear if the threat had moved on, or if it had overtaken the lookout...

·
Registered
43 Posts
OK, so as a non-Luddite Troglodyte (and time traveler), I'm lovin' this turn o' th' thread. But I'm also gonna wait on Eyesight-type tech for a future generation, in the hope of both improvements in reducing false reactions, and some standardization across makes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Subaru seems to be losing their sense of adventure! All these ads about hitting the road and enjoying the great outdoors and the driving experience; why do they clutter up the interiors with gigantic and distracting infotainment screens and countless "apps" and bells and whistles and buttons and colors galore? The pod of controls stuffed on the steering stalk is mind boggling! The needed and wecome safety features shout out their presence like a major fire drill! I know, its the times. Manufacturers are competing for the business of people who think these thing are necessary and cool. That's fine.

But, why can't Subaru at least offer a top-of-the-line Outback with common sense basic and useable controls and without the space-stealing over-large screen and the LED arcade instrument pod? Many loyal Subaru owners might still appreciate subtle and common sense instrumentation options with the upscale interiors. Instrumentation should be minimal and necessary; controls placement and operation should be intuitive and functional without taking ones eyes off the road.

Old school? Yep. But I like eyes on the road; that where to joy of traveling and driving lies.
You want something simple? Buy my 2009 Subaru Outback XT, 5 speed manual. Doesn't get more uncluttered than that...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just don't trust the backup video. I can't even back into a two car driveway without having the car askew. I've spent many decades looking at the rear view mirror and back window. It has always worked well for me.
It’s funny - though I think some of the backup cameras are awesome, as far as clarity and visibility, I still turn around and look out the back as I back up, especially if I’m backing down a driveway or something. I will use the camera when backing out of a parking space or something, but if I have to back up any distance, I don’t trust it.

One thing I am disappointed about is that it doesn’t beep when I get close to something. I miss that from my Enclave. We have lots of trees on our property, and it just came in really handy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
One thing I am disappointed about is that it doesn’t beep when I get close to something. I miss that from my Enclave. We have lots of trees on our property, and it just came in really handy.
I suppose you mean stationary objects that aren’t right behind the car? Because mine beeps like crazy when I’m close to backing into something.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I suppose you mean stationary objects that aren’t right behind the car? Because mine beeps like crazy when I’m close to backing into something.
Mine does not beep. I also have NO Eyesight. I guess backup beeping is a feature that is packaged with Eyesight. Interesting.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Yeah, that may be the case. The Reverse Auto Braking comes with Eyesight (I think) so that would make sense.
I have Eyesight with my 2017 Premium and Rear Cross Traffic Alert but no Reverse Auto Braking. The RCTA does like to beep when I start backing into my driveway to remind me that the big tree next to the driveway hasn't moved since I left.

·
Registered
69 Posts
One of my pet-peeves with my wife's Outback is the "climate control system" There are about 12 fiddly buttons which are not usable while wearing winter gloves. Also, I have to take my eyes off the road to adjust anything. -- On the other hand, my 2017 Impreza has THREE KNOBS 1) temperature 2) Fan 3) Where to blow the air. I can make adjustments whilst wearing winter gloves AND never have to take my eyes off the road. Sometimes simple is better.
Yep, I agree about the climate controls. The rotary controls were the best. Intuitive, easy to use and yes I could adjust mine without looking at them. And while the auto climate system in the outback works very well, I still think those are gimmicky. With the old rotary controls I could turn the temperature knob to 3 o'clock in the winter and the system would "automatically" keep the temp right there until I changed it to something else. And dont' get me started on the dual zone baloney. If I set my temp at 68 and my passenger sets theirs at 72 how is it that my 68 air isn't cooling off the passenger's 72 air? Why dont we just set a single zone system to 70 and be done with it? All that said, the climate system in the outback is powerful. It takes a lot to make me cold but this AC system does!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
They do it to keep pace with other manufacturers or they wouldn't be selling any vehicles. I am not fan of alot of the new tech but you can always turn it off and still enjoy the outdoors with it. Many people here have new Outbacks and still go and do outdoor activities on a regular basis.
Just asking for other options.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have Eyesight with my 2017 Premium and Rear Cross Traffic Alert but no Reverse Auto Braking. The RCTA does like to beep when I start backing into my driveway to remind me that the big tree next to the driveway hasn't moved since I left.
that's always comforting to know.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I would be more concerned if nothing ever beeped when backing up.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don’t think the 2019 was unreasonable.

I do think the 2020 is pushing it. Looks nice though and there’s no fighting it. Enjoy the ride.

All the buttons and rotary dials auto manufactures can get rid of by going to touch screens. It saves them money and adds a cool and futuristic factor to their vehicles. You can thank Tesla for this trend.

·
Registered
138 Posts
And dont' get me started on the dual zone baloney. If I set my temp at 68 and my passenger sets theirs at 72 how is it that my 68 air isn't cooling off the passenger's 72 air? Why dont we just set a single zone system to 70 and be done with it?
It is NOT baloney if your wife is anything like mine. The car HVAC is nothing like your house, and can't possibly set a single, fixed temperature for the whole car. Changing the temp setting drastically changes the temperature of the air coming out of the dash vents. Mine stays pretty steady at around 72 degrees. Her side ranges from a blast of ice crystals to something like the exhaust on my Black and Decker heat gun. Keeps us both happy! She likes to remind me that menopause starts with 'men'.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a Jeep CJ-7 back in the day. All it had was an AM radio. Sometimes miss those simpler times. This was before cell phones too. I think we were all better drivers then. Less distracted.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
And dont' get me started on the dual zone baloney. If I set my temp at 68 and my passenger sets theirs at 72 how is it that my 68 air isn't cooling off the passenger's 72 air? Why dont we just set a single zone system to 70 and be done with it? All that said, the climate system in the outback is powerful. It takes a lot to make me cold but this AC system does!
I agree. It is just the blast of the temp near the vent that is controllable. Unless the car interior can defy physics, the interior space mixes the air and equalizes the temperature.

Matters are worse if the desired temperatures are far apart. For example, if the driver wants 70F while the passenger wants 76F. The temperatures will mix and equalize. Then, the driver will lower the driver side to 69F, which will cause the passenger to raise their temp to 77F. The cycle will continue, and everybody will be less happy, thereby defeating the purpose of the dual zones. This actually happened to me before without realizing it. The passenger and I kept adjusting our sides in the opposite directions. It took me awhile to realize that “Sync” was deactivated.

Think about it. When you are FREEZING in the winter, will you allow the passenger to set their temp at like 70F? Not me! I will need all systems going full speed ahead at max high temperature. But if you believe dual zones work, then you should have no problem with the passenger setting their temp at 70F while you cannot feel your hands.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Think about it. When you are FREEZING in the winter, will you allow the passenger to set their temp at like 70F? Not me! I will need all systems going full speed ahead at max high temperature. But if you believe dual zones work, then you should have no problem with the passenger setting their temp at 70F while you cannot feel your hands.
When I am traveling alone I keep a cooler within reach on the passenger side floor. In the winter I set the passenger side temperature low to slow down the melting of the ice in the cooler. Then I just adjust the driver's side temp for my comfort.

When it is really cold in the winter my focus is on keeping the windows clear so the defrost is on. When the defrost is on the dual zone is disabled anyway. And I guess I don't get what is wrong with the passenger temp being set at 70. I seldom have mine set much higher than that in the winter; maybe 72. I rarely use full auto so I pick the blower speed and go from there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I
I agree. It is just the blast of the temp near the vent that is controllable. Unless the car interior can defy physics, the interior space mixes the air and equalizes the temperature.

Matters are worse if the desired temperatures are far apart. For example, if the driver wants 70F while the passenger wants 76F. The temperatures will mix and equalize. Then, the driver will lower the driver side to 69F, which will cause the passenger to raise their temp to 77F. The cycle will continue, and everybody will be less happy, thereby defeating the purpose of the dual zones. This actually happened to me before without realizing it. The passenger and I kept adjusting our sides in the opposite directions. It took me awhile to realize that “Sync” was deactivated.

I actually keep a blanket in my car and I give it to any passenger who wants me to turn down the a/c too low--if I'm hot I get sleepy so I have to be comfy as the driver. Haven't had to do it in awhile though.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Slightly off topic, when having a cold drink, water, oj, etc. I'm constantly amazed by those 16oz BPA-free insulated with air tumblers (we sometimes get them when we travel in gift shops). The ice never seems to melt like in other holders. Probably would keep hot drinks hot too. You can get tops. People are nuts for those high end sasqwach (sp) containers. Bah humbug to them.

But back on topic, my wife both closes the passenger side vents AND turns her side up. We live in GA but soon will relocate to upstate NY. I love a good blizzard. Nothing like going outside and shoveling in short sleeve t-shirt. That's living rigit. Humidity bad here (a click above metro ATL), but nothing like Savannah or FLA.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
34 Participants
jakemccoy
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing