Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2003 OB 2.5 with just about 75,000 miles on her. We're preparing for a move from northern Colorado to Seattle and we'll be driving the Subie packed with our three dogs and cat :gasp: I was thinking about getting the entire timing belt job done along with the water pump, oil pump re-seal, and the accessory drive belt/rollers/tensioners done before the drive. I know it's really early for the job in terms of mileage, but what about years? The belt and the goodies in there are 9 years old...thoughts on replacement?

Also, I've noticed the car has a faint, high-pitched whine under any level of acceleration, at any speed. The moment I left off the gas, the whine goes away. I've only had the car for 5,000 miles, but the whine has only cropped up in the last thousand miles or so. Any ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks in advance,

- Jeremy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You are over your 105 month time limit so i would recommend doing it or at least having someone check it over well. I have a 04 with 86k and its due, the belt looks good so im doing to wait a little bit.

I had a similar squeel and it was part of the plastic intake plenum before the air filter not sealed all the way.

Theres a place in lakewood that specializes in subarus. I would recommend them. Allstar imports. Theyll do timing belt, idlers, water pump for $475. Id do tensioner on the tbelt too. Had one blown already. The $150 is worth the extra.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are over your 105 month time limit so i would recommend doing it or at least having someone check it over well. I have a 04 with 86k and its due, the belt looks good so im doing to wait a little bit.

I had a similar squeel and it was part of the plastic intake plenum before the air filter not sealed all the way.

Theres a place in lakewood that specializes in subarus. I would recommend them. Allstar imports. Theyll do timing belt, idlers, water pump for $475. Id do tensioner on the tbelt too. Had one blown already. The $150 is worth the extra.
Thanks for the quick response and also for verifying my concerns with the timing belt. Coincidentally, someone walked into my office a few minutes ago, talking about how he owns a shop that specializes in Subies. I'll hit him up for a quote on work needed. I also have a leaking strut needing replacement. There's a Subie shop in Fort Collins (Nice Cars, Inc) that quoted me just under $2k for timing belt/WP/rollers/tensioners, trans fluid flush, front diff flush, replacement of both front struts, alignment, oil change, and accessory dive belt/tensioners/rollers. A bit expensive but it would essentially put the car back to zero miles in terms of maintenance.

- Jeremy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
JTrujillo86
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing