Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went skiing in Winter Park Colorado (8,000-9,000 ft) this weekend. This thing is kinda gutless, I couldn't imagine what the 2.5 feels like. It makes me miss my 2.5XT. If they put the 2.0 turbo in the outback next year I may trade mine in. This thing runs out of steam very quickly. Other opinions?

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Yah I'm thinking the same thing although I'm looking at going back the forester xt lineage. Can't wait till they arrive in march for a test drive.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
At those elevations I'd imagine most cars without forced induction of some form would feel gutless.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I went skiing in Winter Park Colorado (8,000-9,000 ft) this weekend. This thing is kinda gutless, I couldn't imagine what the 2.5 feels like. It makes me miss my 2.5XT. If they put the 2.0 turbo in the outback next year I may trade mine in. This thing runs out of steam very quickly. Other opinions?
I will be at Loveland second week in February - what is the snow situation there? I see only 28" on the ground now....

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
821 Posts
I had fun in mine at 11k on the beartooth highway coming from and going to Red Lodge, MT in low gears at high RPM. Had to push it for every inch.

It does get breathy at el especially in winter. Corn in the gas may have some effect to the neg.

Had mine up to 8500 in UT a dozen times this month and always noticed a small loss in power above 7-8k.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Sunroof
58 Posts
Forced induction largely negates the effects of altitude. Normally aspirated engines will lose power as the elevation increases. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has there been any word on whether the turbo will be available in the 2014 Outback? I will definitely test drive the Forester, but do not like the looks of it. I am hoping they add this engine to the Outback line-up sometime in the near future.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Since they dropped it from the previous generations due to lack of sales, I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will be at Loveland second week in February - what is the snow situation there? I see only 28" on the ground now....
The snow in winter park was fine. There could be more coverage. It was nice and warm though (32 degrees). It hadn't snowed in a few days but it wasn't icy or slushy, it was just typical hard pack. Loveland is at a lower elevation so they haven't received as much snow.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
3% per thousand ft so at what 9000 ft is 27% loss. You would be down to 73% is 187 hp if 256 hp is the right number for the OB.
The 2.5L would be 126 hp if 173 hp is the right number.
No doubt youhave to whip them both good to get some performance out of them...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I agree the 3.6 is just OK in thd mountains. I expected better with its hp and torque numbers. I couldnt imagine the 2.5 on I-70....even the 3.6 is a bit disappointing but tolerable.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
479 Posts
I'm in Colorado Springs.

I didn't like the 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited in the mountains at all. Traded it for a 2013 Acura RDX.

Haven't had it up real high, but so far we're very happy with the performance at this altitude (and lower).

I also bought a 2005 Outback XT Limited. There again, I haven't tried I-70 yet, but I expect it will be awesome. I really like this thing.

·
Registered
2013 outback SAP
84 Posts
I've only gone up 70 once in the new OB, but I was able to maintain 70-80mph. It has to work a little harder for it, but even loaded down it worked pretty well. Since 99% of my driving is back and forth to work, I'll take the gas savings.

·
Registered
OB 2011 3.6R Limited with NAV
68 Posts
I had fun in mine at 11k on the beartooth highway coming from and going to Red Lodge, MT in low gears at high RPM. Had to push it for every inch.

It does get breathy at el especially in winter. Corn in the gas may have some effect to the neg.

Had mine up to 8500 in UT a dozen times this month and always noticed a small loss in power above 7-8k.
I also did Beartooth in September 2012 on the amazing 11K altitude and towing behind my 3.6R 1800 lbs camper from Cooke City to Red Lodge.
It was a comfortable and not very fast driving. I sometimes selected gears manually on some very steep sections.
The power of 3.6R was adequate for towing my camper.
I was worrying about this highway (extraordinarily beautiful road by the way) as I read somewhere that the normally aspirated engine looses about 3% of its power for each 1000 ft of elevation. But driving with towing was OK and not particularly stressful for both the car and the driver:)
some pictures from Beartooth:
http://goo.gl/83Kkl

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
I don't seem to have any problems getting around in North Lake Tahoe, South Lake Tahoe, or the Bend, Oregon, Mt. Bachelor area in my 2.5...

Sure, it's not as good as my old 2.5XT Forester Sports, but I knew that when I got it.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
ScottyNorq - Loveland - lower elevation than Winter Park? I thought chair # 9 at Loveland is one of the highest lift chairs in the US (if not in the world) at 12,700 feet....top of the Continental Divide.... are you saying Winter Park is higher than Loveland? Did you mean the base elevation? I've never been in Winter Park...

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
821 Posts
I also did Beartooth in September 2012 on the amazing 11K altitude and towing behind my 3.6R 1800 lbs camper from Cooke City to Red Lodge.
It was a comfortable and not very fast driving. I sometimes selected gears manually on some very steep sections.
The power of 3.6R was adequate for towing my camper.
I was worrying about this highway (extraordinarily beautiful road by the way) as I read somewhere that the normally aspirated engine looses about 3% of its power for each 1000 ft of elevation. But driving with towing was OK and not particularly stressful for both the car and the driver:)
some pictures from Beartooth:
http://goo.gl/83Kkl
Beauty shots eh and a sweet trailer! Not sure I would want to go any faster on that road in an OB. I used the downshift alot. In a properly tuned sportcarver - maybe a bit more accel.

We were going to try to head up to Jasper, but time and mileage kept us south of the border this summer. Did bc/vancouver island 3 years ago in an XB, so I guess I am ok with underpowered cars. Honestly, I don't think the floaty Gen 4.1 OB can handle much more hp than the 3.6 delivers.

@ CO
Oh yeah, Lift served 12.7k ft is high for the U.S. I know WPark is high, but how high?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts