Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
WOW excellent shots, that looks like a trail I'd really love to drive myself! I wish there was another shot of that 1100ft drop!
Cheers,
Karl

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a few more shots of Mokee Dugway (what exactly is a Dugway anways?).

Mokee Dugway is a dirt road that goes up a set of switchbacks perched on the side of a cliff on the edge of plateau near the Utah/Arizona border on Highway 261. Here are some more photo's I took (they were sub-par shots so I left them out of my original post).

I also found this website that has some better shots:

http://www.teresco.org/pics/fourcorners-20030926-27/26/utah261.html

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Thanks for that, just wanted some perspective on how steep a drop it is, sure is impressive scenery, and of course would be an exciting drive. :D

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,112 Posts
Oh my god! Those are the coolest Outback pics I've seen in quite a while! :D Wow, truly incredible! Santos if you don't mind I'd like to put one of those on the homepage, we kinda need one to replace the Garnet XT thats been there for 3 months or so...

Bravo! Keep'um comin' :18:

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
"short ride"? Looks a bit of a long one to me. :)

I've been in that region of the country only twice. Saw the Grand Canyon half dozen years ago during September and was really nice weather. Only a kid the other time, family moved from FL to WA during the winter holidays and was very cold, blizzard someplace (New Mexico maybe).

Checking on where it's at exactly I found it could be spelled Mokui Dugway, too, NW of Mexican Hat, UT. Found it in my map program by it's unique road, apparently the part going up the cliff. Otherwise no mention of a name.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad u liked them!

Feel free to use any of the pics on the homepage. Also let me know if there is one in particular that you would like to use and I can do a better editting job on the license plate blur.

As for the "short ride", my trip odometer was at 2700 miles when I got back!

Santos

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
2,408 Posts
Man, we just don't have those kind of trails back east here. Thanks for the pictures--really inspiring, and what better car to drive, eh?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 6MT
18 Posts
Santos: How did the stock tires do offroad? Was the grip ok? Was it a problem that they're kinda' low-profile? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Escher

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
That makes me curious, what are the stock tires in the US on the premium models like the 3.0R and XT? In Australia we get Yokohama Geolandar G900 which are a great compromise between being good offroad (and tough!) and grip on tar.

Cheers,
Karl

·
5,112 Posts
Jondalar said:
That makes me curious, what are the stock tires in the US on the premium models like the 3.0R and XT? In Australia we get Yokohama Geolandar G900 which are a great compromise between being good offroad (and tough!) and grip on tar.

Cheers,
Karl
Karl we still have the ubercrappy Bridgestone Potenza Re-92's on all the Legacys, Outbacks, and Imprezas here in North America. Unfortunately it looks like thats the way it will stay indefinately... :(

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't done much offroad driving in other cars so I have nothing really to compare it to. It was very fun to drive on maintained dirt roads..

I took it up black canyon road outside of bishop, CA (the first two shots), which was a very rough road with lots of big rocks but not very many big holes or bumps that manuever over. Over the big rocks it held its own but the whole car was shuttering like mad. I don't remember bottoming out at all though... I only made it about 3/4's of the way up the canyon before wimping out...I was afraid of getting flat up there with all the sharp rocks.

Santos

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Hero Boots said:

Karl we still have the ubercrappy Bridgestone Potenza Re-92's on all the Legacys, Outbacks, and Imprezas here in North America. Unfortunately it looks like thats the way it will stay indefinately... :(
I remember when Bridgestone only put "Potenza" on their very best performance tires... *sigh*

·
Registered
2012 Outback 6MT
18 Posts
Santos said:
I don't remember bottoming out at all though... I only made it about 3/4's of the way up the canyon before wimping out...I was afraid of getting flat up there with all the sharp rocks.
Thanks for the reply, Santos. I'm glad that you dared go even 3/4 of the way and that you didn't bottom out. I understand the risk of bottomming out is higher with the independent suspension of car-based vehicles. I guess that a low-profile tire wouldn't be at a disadvantage for punctures, unless it had thinner walls than a regular tire. So at least that's good.

Bottom line: there is no perfect way to reconcile the demands of road-racing and off-roading in one tire. ;)

Escher

·
Registered
2012 Outback 6MT
18 Posts
Hero Boots said:
Karl we still have the ubercrappy Bridgestone Potenza Re-92's on all the Legacys, Outbacks, and Imprezas here in North America.
Hero Boots: Are the Australian-spec Yokohama Geolandar G900's available in the US? And if yes, can we install them on the stock wheels once we've worn off the lousy Bridgestones?

Escher

·
5,112 Posts
Escher said:

Hero Boots: Are the Australian-spec Yokohama Geolandar G900's available in the US? And if yes, can we install them on the stock wheels once we've worn off the lousy Bridgestones?

Escher
I cannot answer the specific Aussie Spec question although I know that the entire Forester line comes with Geolanders as standard equipment. That being said I'm sure you can pick a set up for an Outback although I don't know if they would be the same ones they get in Australia.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 6MT
18 Posts
Hero Boots said:
the entire Forester line comes with Geolanders as standard equipment.... I'm sure you can pick a set up for an Outback although I don't know if they would be the same ones they get in Australia.
Thanks for your answer, Hero Boots. That would be good enough for me, as long as I don't have to live with silly low-profile fair-weather tires. ;) Maybe the Geolander factory tires speak in favor of the Forester, which I prefer size-wise as well.

Escher

1 - 17 of 17 Posts