Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, have a 2014 Outback 2.5 CVT and looking to inspect the rear diff fluid. I have the FSM and have searched but can't find a definitive answer on this. What tool is needed to remove Hex plugs on my rear diff? the fill plug is a little rounded and I am scared to break it off. I have read 13mm but that seems too big (don't have one).

Any help would be very much appreciated.. that thing is on VERY tight and I don't want to strip it.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Although a 1/2 inch ratchet will fit.... it is a little loose. 13mm is the proper tool. If yours is rounded, I bet someone used a 1/2 inch on it at some point.

WARNING: Be *certain* that you can get the 'fill' plug out before draining it. Some folks have ended up with no fluid in their rear differential and no way to refill it.

Some folks have used a floor-jack on the end of a long bar to break-free the plugs. Personally, the plugs on my 100,000 mile Baja were too tight... I took it to local shop and asked them to 'break free' the plugs. It cost about 5 bucks.

Then, when I drained it, I used wire-wheel to polish the threads and used teflon tape when reinstalling. This makes a better seal without overtigtining AND will help removal in the future. (by preventing metal-to-metal corrosion - Steel-on-Aluminum likes to weld itself together)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bruce,

thanks for the quick reply.. I am in Canada and it might be different but the 1/2" drive is way too big to fit in the hole. Here is a pic..

Attachments

·
Registered
'14 Outback CVT - Torklift - Triple Armor
184 Posts
2014 2.5 CVT -- 10 MM hex & a 1/2 drive breaker bar. They look kind of rounded from the factory.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Bruce,

thanks for the quick reply.. I am in Canada and it might be different but the 1/2" drive is way too big to fit in the hole. Here is a pic..
Thanks for the photo. I guess after 20 years, they have changed it from 13mm square. (which is an oddball size to begin with!)

It appears a metric hex is the new size. I wonder if this is no longer tapered 'pipe threads' either?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, i bought a 10mm hex socket but didn't really want to reef on it if I wasn't 100% sure that was the proper size.. Does anyone know the part number for the top fill hole plug? i might just replace it if I can get it off.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
407 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but I just tried mine with a 10mm hex and it fits snug in the drain but on the fill its loose and won't grip. It looks pretty rounded I'm wonder I g if I should hammer a 11mm hex in there and just get a new plug or if anyone has ideas.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
170 Posts
The best way to get a stripped hex out is to get a size Torx bit that fits in there with some hammering, that's how I get stripped bolts out at work.

It kinda digs into the walls and grips it better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just changed my rear differential on my 2014 outback after 6 years and 60,000 miles. Of course both plugs are originally 10 hex. It didn't take a lot of extra force to brake it free. If you can get it out by hammering in a 11 hex, then do it of course. I have no ideal how you can otherwise get it out. But be sure that you have a 10 hex replacement plug on hand from the dealer to replace it. Good Luck

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,029 Posts
There are lots of other tricks to extracting fasteners with stripped heads. Super glue, left hand twist extractor bits, EZ-out, etc. The Torx or SAE bit trick is the first thing to try. Other methods get more destructive. The less damage inflicted the better, not because anyone would want to reuse the stuck fastener, but it leaves more chances to try other methods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts