Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 2.5 2012
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One month ago decided to open up my Outback 2.5 auto 2012 on a country road moments later red coolant light flashed. Found that one fan fuse had blown, replaced and flushed system. After 4 miles driving coolant light flashed red and the coolant had filled up the reservoir. Fitted new radiator cap and thermostat after 15 miles red light flashes ( no temp gauge on this model).
After letting car go cold both bottom and top hose compressed flat and coolant to top of reservoir.
Performed monoxide test with chemicals no change in colour no smoke no milky residue.
Local garage looked at car and inconclusive HG failure any ideas where to go next.
Don’t want to do HG if I have missed anything
Did put radweld to see if it would sort but no good

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
369 Posts
One quick/simple/free thing to check- there was a service bulletin shared on here once, about the overflow tube into the reservoir being square cut on the end & that it can suction itself to bottom of the reservoir as a cooling engine tries to pull coolant back in. That could explain collapsed radiator hoses & a full reservoir in a car with no other apparent problems. The fix is to simply cut a sliver off the end of the hose so it becomes angled.

Did you use Subaru-brand radiator cap & thermostat? They have specific functional characteristics not found in most aftermarket parts, even if they're physically compatible. If the cap isn't a known-good Subaru part, it could block the flow of coolant, even in just 1 direction.

People report difficulty burping (evacuating air pockets) the cooling system after a complete drain & refill. Search for "burping" to find suggestions that include jacking up the front of the car then gently/briefly racing the engine in park/neutral.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
One month ago decided to open up my Outback 2.5 auto 2012 on a country road moments later red coolant light flashed. Found that one fan fuse had blown, replaced and flushed system. After 4 miles driving coolant light flashed red and the coolant had filled up the reservoir. Fitted new radiator cap and thermostat after 15 miles red light flashes ( no temp gauge on this model).
After letting car go cold both bottom and top hose compressed flat and coolant to top of reservoir.
Performed monoxide test with chemicals no change in colour no smoke no milky residue.
Local garage looked at car and inconclusive HG failure any ideas where to go next.
Don’t want to do HG if I have missed anything
Did put radweld to see if it would sort but no good
moved thread updated title.

a 2012 UK spec should be the first of the new FB25B engines with the oil filter on top. (correct for you?)

vs. a '12 US/Canada spec with the last of the EJ253 engines with the oil filter on the bottom.

·
Registered
Outback 2007 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
536 Posts
. Found that one fan fuse had blown, replaced and flushed system. After 4 miles driving coolant light flashed red and the coolant had filled up the reservoir. Fitted new radiator cap and thermostat after 15 miles red light flashes ( no temp gauge on this model).
Need to find out why fan fuse blew, and if the fans are working fine now. Also, odd there's no temperature gauge?

·
Registered
Outback 2.5 2012
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
Yes used all Subaru parts thermostat and radiator cap, my cars oil filter is at the bottom of the engine, I am getting bubbles coming from the reservoir but at the moment can’t locate where they could be coming from.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
Hi
Yes used all Subaru parts thermostat and radiator cap, my cars oil filter is at the bottom of the engine, I am getting bubbles coming from the reservoir but at the moment can’t locate where they could be coming from.
can you confirm that is a EJ253 with the oil filter on the bottom,

or a FB25B with the oil filter on top?

(transitional year there).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts