Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT Limited 5SP Manual 240K Miles
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered King Springs (OEM Height) as well as OEM KYB Shocks (New Everything) Top Hats, Bellows, Bumpers...

I want to personally pre-assemble these myself for relatively quick installation, and don't wanna JUST HOPE to "clock" the springs and Top-hats right the first time. I wanna do it ONCE!!!

Since I'll be using ALL NEW PARTS, the old alignment Paint marks are out the window on this one...

...SO....

It seems pretty obvious that the Spring will seat into the notch at the bottom of the Shock.

Next, my observation is that the "Main" (bottom) bolt and the top two 14mm. bolts appear to be darn near perpendicular to one another, but JUST a touch offset. SO, is it as "simple" as an 87-ish degree offset?

I say 87 deg. because, the only videos or instructional(s) that I've found, show closer to parallel and/or 3 deg.'s from parallel, as the recommended orientation top to bottom. Now this is obviously WAY OFF compared to what I see on my car??? (I believe these must be Gen. 4 and newer and/or STI/WRX configurations??)

I have poured over hours and hours of old posts, internet videos, and various other forums, so if I missed a previous post with this answer, MY Apologies in advance!!!

Thank you all kindly,

Ryan

·
Registered
130 Posts
Get the top studs and lower eye hole close to 90deg and adjust the clocking with a prybar or big screwdriver through the lower eye once the top is bolted to the body. It will move a few degrees in either direction when assembled.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT Limited 5SP Manual 240K Miles
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get the top studs and lower eye hole close to 90deg and adjust the clocking with a prybar or big screwdriver through the lower eye once the top is bolted to the body. It will move a few degrees in either direction when assembled.
Cool.

90 DEGREES IT IS! Thank you kindly Sir!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts