Subaru Outback Forums banner

Top mounted CAI??

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  traildogck 
#1 ·
Yesterday, I purchased this OBXT hood for a song and put it on my 3.0R Limited just today. I purchased it because I plan to install/fabricate a top mounted cold air intake. There are so many questions I have about this, like does it actually give any power gains? Will I need a tune? Does a company make something for this? Should I worry about water Ingestion? I have seen this done on some 2.5i Imprezas with custom made airboxes and a discontinued product by Gorilla Offroad, but nothing on an outback. I may be able to do this pretty easily, because the scoop puts air directly on top of the airbox, which leads me to think that I could just cut the top off of it, install a filter, and call it a day. If I can´t pull a CAI off, I guess I will end up putting the old hood back on. I love the look of the scoop, but I hate having phony ¨performance¨ stuff that adds nothing. Any help on this would be appreciated!
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a good chance the car would need to be re-tuned for a cold air intake. You can try putting on a cold air intake, however it might throw a CEL. If you put the air filter right by the hole, then you run the risk of hydro-locking the motor due to water. You would have to install baffles, to prevent the water from getting into the air filter. Like a shop-vac has to prevent water from getting into its motor. I don't think cobb tuning can tune the 3.0 motor. I think it is only the turbo engine.

Reactions: itjonah
#4 ·
My thoughts exactly. I´ve been trying to find ways that I could prevent water from getting in as much as possible. The baffles are an enticing idea. Another solution I thought of was to have a manual flap to close the scoop for inclement weather a la the shaker intake on those old plymouth coudas.

As far as the ECU, Cobb does not give much support for the EZ30, but I´ve heard good things about the Vi-PEC V88 which has an EZ30 Basemap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.