Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks our cars performed well in the new IIHS small overlap test. Only 2 received the top rating the 13 Accord and the Suziki Kizashi sedan which is not even sold here now. This only applies to Outbacks and Legacys built after 8-12
Congrats Subaru........

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
IIHS news release

"We've seen automakers make structural and restraint changes in response to our small overlap test," Lund says. "Five manufacturers redesigned their midsize cars to enhance small overlap crash protection."

Honda engineered both versions of the Accord to do well in the test. Ford and Nissan made running structural changes to 2013 models already in production. Subaru and Volkswagen changed airbag control modules on the production line so side curtain airbags would deploy for improved head protection.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,647 Posts
changed airbag control modules on the production line so side curtain airbags would deploy for improved head protection.[/B][/I]

I wonder if previous vehicles can get reprogrammed to behave the same in a crash? TSB?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I wonder if previous vehicles can get reprogrammed to behave the same in a crash? TSB?
That would involve reprogramming the privacy invasive "black box" nobody seems to want.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i/CVT/Graphite Gray
52 Posts
I'm picking up a new Outback tonight.. (did all the paperwork last night).

This makes me feel very good about my choice... I had cross shopped it against the Prius V a bit although once we test drove the Outback we were pretty knew we were buying an Outback.

I had looked at the new Accord a bit too although I knew we needed something bigger. (We already have an Accord) The new Accords are super nice too and it appears Honda did their homework. :29:

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm picking up a new Outback tonight.. (did all the paperwork last night).

This makes me feel very good about my choice... I had cross shopped it against the Prius V a bit although once we test drove the Outback we were pretty knew we were buying an Outback.

I had looked at the new Accord a bit too although I knew we needed something bigger. (We already have an Accord) The new Accords are super nice too and it appears Honda did their homework. :29:
I have a 10 Outback and just picked up a 13 Accord about a month ago to replace a new Impreza I was leasing. I can see why the Accord scored Good. Pop the hood and the front structure looks tank like. To score fairly well in this test(I think the OB got a acceptable rating) with a car that is pretty much at the end of it's life cycle is impressive.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It looks our cars performed well in the new IIHS small overlap test. Only 2 received the top rating the 13 Accord and the Suziki Kizashi sedan which is not even sold here now. This only applies to Outbacks and Legacys built after 8-12
Congrats Subaru........
Hey PGH... I didn't see the date mentioned in the article. Is the change in after 8/1 or 8/30 ? I know the Dealer Prep list which was included with my car had it as manufactured in mid August.

**Update : Found the info here : http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=1760&seriesid=680
I just emailed Subaru to see if my VIN includes the updated programming.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I notice that the release and the rating info page have different information. The release says that Subaru changed the modules on the production line; the rating info page says that Subaru reprogrammed the side airbags. If the latter, I'd like to think that the reprogramming will be rolled out as a TSB that can be deployed when I take the vehicle in for service.

I sent an email to Subaru before I saw the release (I saw the report first), I'll let you know what I hear.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I notice that the release and the rating info page have different information. The release says that Subaru changed the modules on the production line; the rating info page says that Subaru reprogrammed the side airbags. If the latter, I'd like to think that the reprogramming will be rolled out as a TSB that can be deployed when I take the vehicle in for service.

I sent an email to Subaru before I saw the release (I saw the report first), I'll let you know what I hear.
I asked them the same question. It's possible that the airbag logic is not updateable through the cars usual software update process. I might own a car that missed this feature by literally a few days :(

·
Registered
164 Posts
I asked them the same question. It's possible that the airbag logic is not updateable through the cars usual software update process. I might own a car that missed this feature by literally a few days :(
That certainly puts my "it was only 8 months" earlier purchase disappointment into perspective.

I would think that they would want to be able to access the airbag deployment system through the standard process, or at least some other accessible method. While you don't want people to tinker with the system, if there was a software issue (early deployment, oversensitivity, undersensitivity, etc.), it would be a lot easier and cheaper to load an update than replace all the physical modules. Unfortunately, while I work at an engineering firm, I am not an engineer.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, for us that have early builds. Mine is June of 09 can it updated?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Got a reply today

Got a reply from Subaru :
Thank you for taking the time to contact Subaru of America, Inc.

Upon opening your message earlier today, I forwarded it to our Vehicle Regulations Department for review and information. They advised that this change to the 2013 Legacy and Outback models was an enhancement. Subaru of America, Inc. is always striving to improve upon its products and do make some changes within a model year. These changes instituted on 2013 Legacy and Outback models built after August of 2012 will not be retrofitted into Legacy and Outback models built before then.

Your message has been documented in our Customer/Dealer Services database. Subaru is always striving to improve upon our products and appreciates when our customers bring their interests to our attention.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited, 2.5 w/Moonroof
163 Posts
What a wonderful corporate way to say "Ya own ya own sucker"...

Boooooooooooooooooo.... Hisssssssssssssssss!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
My door sticker is 8-12 also. Missed it by that much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts