Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5L Tech pkg w/ Eyesight
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my Torklift Ecohitch (2" version) for my 2017 2.5i Outback. Found a guy in Niagara on the lake who is selling these for $425 Cdn, incl tax. Much cheaper than getting it shipped directly from torklift (as shipping was going to be 200$+ duties). Was cheaper (and more responsive) than some of the other Ontario dealers. He had one in stock and was able to arrange pickup the following day. Was pleasure to deal with this guy, he also has some interesting ultralight utility trailers that i may look at in the future.

company: ECO-TRAILERS

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5 Limited w ES. Tungsten.
122 Posts
In Ottawa, I found them for C$449 at Trackwerks. Or shipped to border for $387. Any tariffs apply to hitches? Either way, a lot more than a Curt or Draw-Tite ($275 installed at U-Haul?) But those or not hidden.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5L Tech pkg w/ Eyesight
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the Curt or Draw tite hitches are a lot cheaper, however I believe those require drilling holes into the frame (may start corrosion cells) and are not specifically designed for the Outback. I originally looked at the Subaru OEM version, but since it was only offered in the 1.25" receiver, I looked elsewhere. The other thing I like about the Eco-hitch is that it mounted directly onto the OEM bumper beam bolts, so it is much closer to the OEM hitch design (not exactly the same) but should be a better design than a generic hitch. In my opinion, it also makes the install easier, since you are not drilling holes and fishing hardware around. I am not sure about whether duties would apply, but at $425 cdn, I felt it was worth it.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5 Limited w ES. Tungsten.
122 Posts
I am not sure about whether duties would apply, but at $425 cdn, I felt it was worth it.
I must say that I would prefer the Eco and C$425 incl tax would be fine. Unfortunately, it's a long drive to Niagara from Kingston! DIY install at first seems like something I might not want to do on a brand new Outback (coming Monday) But at least it doesn't require crawling under car.

I have more or less decided to go with the Curt 1.25" because that is all I need for my 2-bike rack (and adapters tend to allow movement) My previous car had a Class 2 1.25" hitch and that worked well. Unfortunately no nearby reasonably priced source for the eco hitch.

Did dealer offer any kind of deal on installing an OE hitch. I never even asked because it was list priced at about $800.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts