Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight/Nav/Moonroof, Graphite Gray Metallic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Torklift Eco Hitch on my 2013 Outback yesterday. I ended up going through the access holes in the spare tire area and everything went smoothly. One note: instead of cutting a 6"x6" piece from the underside of the bumper, I cut a section 4.5" wide x 6" deep. This was enough to clear the hitch receiver, and then I cut two small notches to allow clearance of the vertical part of the receiver (see the picture).

Also, I scanned in the installation instructions if anyone wants to take a look.

Attachments

·
Registered
'13 Outback Premium 6MT
110 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Is there anywhere besides the Mfg website to buy the torklift? I'm weighing the options and like the look of these.

Do you have any other pics of the finished installation?

·
Registered
'13 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight/Nav/Moonroof, Graphite Gray Metallic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the only place to purchase it is from the manufacturer: Torklift Central Stealth 2" Subaru Outback Trailer Hitch No Drill | Torklift Central

I didn't take any other pictures of the installation because the manufacturer's instructions were actually pretty good, the install went pretty much "by the book", and because there are so many other pictures and information available online for the Torklift and for the other common hitches. Here are some I have found...

Subaru Outback Hitch Install | DigitalNigel

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/45033-torklift-stealth-hitch-being-redesigned-greatly-improved.html#post425341

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/39106-another-2-hitch-option-your-outback.html

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well - 3 hours later I installed my Torklift hitch. I chose not to remove the bumper, but I'm not sure if it would have been any quicker with the removal and installation.
The toughest parts of the install were replacing the muffler, snaking the bolts and placing the hitch on the frame - its heavy! This would be easier without the bumper - but we got it done. The hitch looks great and now that its done I'm glad I took the extra effort to get the Torklift.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
84 Posts
I also installed the torklift on my 13 this week. I chose to go thru the spare tire as wel to avoid the wheel arch moldings. I followed the instructions but notices that when i removed the other tape covered holes they were directly over the rear holes. In theory i could have drilled four .5" holes and dropped hardware in and wrenched top an bottom. Love the hidden look of this hitch!

·
Registered
'16 Legacy Ltd 3.6R and '12 OB Prem, 2.5, CVT, Moonroof, 440W Sound System (not impressed),Yakima 16S Skybox, and a cool roof mounted raygun (cloaking device active) Kept the '00 Camry w/190K, Trade
24 Posts
Link?

I installed the Torklift Eco Hitch on my 2013 Outback yesterday. I ended up going through the access holes in the spare tire area and everything went smoothly. One note: instead of cutting a 6"x6" piece from the underside of the bumper, I cut a section 4.5" wide x 6" deep. This was enough to clear the hitch receiver, and then I cut two small notches to allow clearance of the vertical part of the receiver (see the picture).

Also, I scanned in the installation instructions if anyone wants to take a look.
Clicked "installation instructions" and it went to File Dropper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Installed the Torklift on my 2014 Outback
I went through the holes up top that were taped over. I enlarged them and was able to get it all done with just enlarging those two holes.
I am impresses with how well the hitch is hidden under the car. I got the 2" receiver and used the hitch for carrying a rack on the back. I have a truck with camper mounts made by them and they are just as impressive.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,427 Posts
I installed one on my friends car.

You do not need to drill out all 4 holes. Only 2 holes on each side and you can fish both bolts per side from the one hole.

I think I did a 6"x6" cut out. I can't image any smaller would make it much better. Can see the cut out as is.

Also installed a brake light harness. With the back apart its a good time to do it because its easy to access the stock harness. The harness from Curt is plug and play accept I drilled a and sanded a bit for the ground wire.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited (2.5)
2 Posts
Can the ecohitch install be done with the vehicle on the ground? I don't see why it wouldn't be possible with the factory ground clearance, but I'm assuming torklift recommends it for a reason.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Outback Ltd
133 Posts
Can the ecohitch install be done with the vehicle on the ground? I don't see why it wouldn't be possible with the factory ground clearance, but I'm assuming torklift recommends it for a reason.
Did mine on the garage floor without a problem!

Reactions: turmeric

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Outback Ltd
133 Posts
Good to know; thanks for the reply. Seems it's the Torklift equivalent of Subaru's "disconnect the battery before removing the bumper."
Well, Subby's advice is to make sure the airbag doesn't deploy. A very costly mistake :)

Torklift may have written these instructions with a hitch dealer in mind, too. I would have loved to have used a lift, if I had one :)

Reactions: turmeric

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 Ltd w/ SAP
9 Posts
Just installed the Ecohitch on my 2013 OB 2.5. Install was easy except for one issue that I'm still trying to close out. I'm having difficulty getting the driver's side rearmost exhaust hanger back on. There appears to be a clearance issue b/w the hitch and the rubber hanger (the gap is narrower than the rubber hanger is thick). Anyone have similar issues? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Just installed the Ecohitch on my 2013 OB 2.5. Install was easy except for one issue that I'm still trying to close out. I'm having difficulty getting the driver's side rearmost exhaust hanger back on. There appears to be a clearance issue b/w the hitch and the rubber hanger (the gap is narrower than the rubber hanger is thick). Anyone have similar issues? Any recommendations?
Picture?

I used wd40 to get my hangers back on.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 Ltd w/ SAP
9 Posts
Novablue, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it's not a matter of friction, it's that the gap isn't wide enough to fit the rubber hanger.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 Ltd w/ SAP
9 Posts
Sorry, missed the request for a pic:

This is probably shows the issues the best. I’ve pushed the rubber hanger as far to the right (rear of vehicle) as I can on the brown muffler arm. The silver vehicle arm is visible and the black object in the background is the hitch (you probably already knew that). Notice the narrow gap between the hitch and the silver vehicle arm. I need to fit the rubber hanger (much wider than the gap) into the gap to mount onto the silver vehicle arm. It won’t fit…that’s the problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
For anyone interested, all Subaru EcoHitches are $25 off until October 31st. For more information you can visit Subaru EcoHitch Sale
Anyone with this hitch and a bike carrier like the Yakima and Thule swing away models or any other models with integrated hitch lock? The latter seems very bulky and people with hitches similar to Torklift's setup on other vehicles complain in reviews that they cannot couple the two.

I want an Ecohitch for 2" and minimum decrease of departure angle, but would like to know about its ability to receive bike carriers of that sort. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts