Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2010 OB Prem
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my shaker for 160k miles now. I went through the whole thing, got the steering rack, bushings, steering wheel replaced, balanced the tires i don't know how many times, and decided I would keep it and when the vibration finally broke something, then I would know what was wrong and I'd fix it since I liked the car. To me the shake seemed like a harmonic. It would come and go and vary in intensity even on routes I regularly drove.
Over the course of my ownership, I put the STI swaybar on, no effect. I put on a couple different sets of tires, usually Falken, no effect. I put on a set of standard height King springs and KYB shocks as built up units from Primitive Racing along with all the odds and ends they use to build them, no effect.
Fast forward to 160K and rather suddenly my torque converter isn't letting go of the motor and killing the car at stops. Normally at this point I would have traded the car in, and I did very seriously consider it, but I had just put quite a bit of money and effort into normal interval maintenance and other circumstances would have prevented me from buying a new car altogether. Also I had read that some of the 4th gen outbacks had known torque converter issues, so I opted to have it replaced and see if Subaru might help me out a bit since it was a known issue that had caused Subaru to issue and extended warranty, extended to 100K.
The dealership told me they unbolted the motor, but didn't fully remove it, and dropped the transmission just enough to access the converter. They'd had the car 3-4 days, but long story short, it now drives rock solid. Its a brand new vehicle. Could the torque converter be the fix we've been waiting for 10 years later?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited 2013 Crosstrek Premium
7 Posts
Very interested! Been very curious about what people have been doing about this issue down the road. do some not realize its an issue, others deal with it? Myself, I thought I had got a shaker but just turned out to be some bad tires. I'm surprised no responses. no other parts replaced? also just realized you're a 2.5? (mentioning a 100k warranty)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts