Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight -2013 Forester -23yr old F-150
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2016 Outback 3.6R with 28k miles, purchased new, and have noticed a shudder coming from the drive line when coasting anywhere from 50mph to 30mph. It has been getting progressively worse so I decided to schedule a trip to dealer service department. The symptoms seem very similar to another thread http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/317642-2016-3-6-glide-shudder.html At first, the service manager who has only been on the job for a month, said "We see nothing wrong". But after he and I rode in the car and I duplicated the problem easily several times, he agreed with me there was definitely something going on. After leaving the car for the tech to drive again, the service manager now says "This problem is with the torque converter and has no fix, you'll just have to live with it". I am now upset that they are refusing to do anything. I am worried as well that the car will leave my wife stranded on the side of the road. What do you guess I should do now? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
As alluded, regardless you file a case with SOA so you have a paper/dealer trail with the factory. "My dealer told me the transmission has no fix even with a full factory B2B warranty in force".
I'd like to be in on this call.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,045 Posts
....and SOA just extended the CVT warranty to 10 years/10K miles.......so you're covered regardless of what this tool of a service manager says.....

My advice is to not waste anymore time and contact SOA directly, mentioning what the service manager told you.........I would think that SOA will ripple down to the dealer level and get this addressed......

Steve

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
336 Posts
....and SOA just extended the CVT warranty to 10 years/10K miles.......so you're covered regardless of what this tool of a service manager says.....

My advice is to not waste anymore time and contact SOA directly, mentioning what the service manager told you.........I would think that SOA will ripple down to the dealer level and get this addressed......

Steve
Warranty extension doesn't include 2016 (yet), still 5/60. So don't wait too long.

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,302 Posts
the service manager now says "This problem is with the torque converter and has no fix, you'll just have to live with it". I am now upset that they are refusing to do anything. I am worried as well that the car will leave my wife stranded on the side of the road. What do you guess I should do now? Thanks for your input.
absent any other mitigating factors, I'd make sure reviews of this dealerships' service center's treatment of you are documented online.

no self-respecting professional mechanic, or manager of mechanics would dare say this in any serious fashion.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called SOA, GOT a rep on the phone who seemed surprised by what I was told by the dealer's service manager. Customer rep said they would contact dealer and see what was going on. Yes, no extended CVT warranty on my car. Thanks to all who replied, I will post back once I hear from Subaru again. They said it might be up to 5 days.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray 3.6R
587 Posts
I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this issue. Ours only does it when it's over 90 degrees, although that doesn't guarantee it will do it. At least you can replicate it for the dealer, I could not. Let us know how it all works out for you.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this issue. Ours only does it when it's over 90 degrees, although that doesn't guarantee it will do it. At least you can replicate it for the dealer, I could not. Let us know how it all works out for you.
Being in the DEEP south the OP hasn't seen many below 90 deg. days latley,,,

·
Registered
2015 OB 3.6
4 Posts
I bought my 2015 OB new in the fall of 2014. I just now started to have issues with the 'wobble'. I feel it at around 17-20mph and then it seems to get smooth again. This has been going on for about a month now. I have 30K. Now I get a roughness/wobble in the 45-50mph range. The ride certainly has deteriorated rapidly the past month. I am taking it into a Portland area dealer to see what they find. On a side note, I now am having issues with my windows - getting harder to close: they go up and then fall back down (takes several times to finally get them to close correctly). Needless to say I am not opening the windows until I get to the dealer. I am seriously considering jumping the subaru ship. My car has been hit with about all the recalls/TSB s with the most recent one having my car in the shop for two months!

When all is said and done I do like the car very much. Living here in Maine I can't think of any other vehicle I would want (other than the severely overpriced XC70/V90CC). I hope I can get this wobble issue resolved. Whatever is causing it is only getting worse. I don't agree with those who say it is normal as I have driven the car for 30K miles without this condition. My guess is that it has to do with the CVT.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did some driving today when I had an hour or so and have found that with the transmission in the "Manual" position and using the paddle shifters, I don't seem to be feeling the shudder. I did not have an opportunity to test it using Eyesight, I would think that I would have to be following a car at a slower speed and then have the car in front slow down slightly to test. Not sure why no shudder felt using the Manual transmission setting. I still have not heard back from Subaru Customer Care, but it has not been 5 days yet. Other than the shudder problem, they only thing I have had the dealer to correct was a sticking gas filler door. Car has been very reliable and pleasant to drive otherwise. I also own a 2013 Forester that I like very much.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I heard back from SOA. They said the dealer told them they were able to replicate the shudder. Apparently request my car and Subaru is sending a field rep to the dealer to figure out a solution. I will post back when I hear something more.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,023 Posts
I called SOA, GOT a rep on the phone who seemed surprised by what I was told by the dealer's service manager. Customer rep said they would contact dealer and see what was going on. Yes, no extended CVT warranty on my car. Thanks to all who replied, I will post back once I hear from Subaru again. They said it might be up to 5 days.
I'm glad to hear you got hold of SOA.
Make sure you don't go over 30k Miles! It sounds like the dealer is playing a waiting game with you, hoping you go over 30k Miles. But I guarantee SOA will take care of it ASAP!
Some dealers are just Arseholles... Keep us updated!

P.S. I thought I had read 28k Miles, but after reading you have 30k Miles, I'm worried for you. Please tell me you have the extended warranty???
Even with this, SOA should make this right!
Like I said before, keep us updated!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I did some driving today when I had an hour or so and have found that with the transmission in the "Manual" position and using the paddle shifters, I don't seem to be feeling the shudder. I did not have an opportunity to test it using Eyesight, I would think that I would have to be following a car at a slower speed and then have the car in front slow down slightly to test. Not sure why no shudder felt using the Manual transmission setting. I still have not heard back from Subaru Customer Care, but it has not been 5 days yet. Other than the shudder problem, they only thing I have had the dealer to correct was a sticking gas filler door. Car has been very reliable and pleasant to drive otherwise. I also own a 2013 Forester that I like very much.
This makes me wonder if it's an issue with the CVT adjusting ratios vs the TC. Being in manual mode makes the ratios fixed rather than variable as in Auto mode.

·
Registered
17 Outback Touring 3.6R blue 18 Chevy Silverado High Country and a 11 Dodge Challenger SRT 8
322 Posts
Since it is documented with dealer and SOA I don't think mileage will be a problem they will make it right. I hope it all works out for you!!!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,371 Posts
I'm glad to hear you got hold of SOA.
Make sure you don't go over 30k Miles! It sounds like the dealer is playing a waiting game with you, hoping you go over 30k Miles. But I guarantee SOA will take care of it ASAP!
Some dealers are just Arseholles... Keep us updated!

P.S. I thought I had read 28k Miles, but after reading you have 30k Miles, I'm worried for you. Please tell me you have the extended warranty???
Even with this, SOA should make this right!
Like I said before, keep us updated!!!
The powertrain has a 5-year / 60k mile warranty, heck he's still in the 3-year / 36k miles full warranty. Nothing to be worried about. And he's gone in the shop for the problem, so it should be recorded somewhere that a shudder is apparent at 28,000 miles.

The dealer was just being a dick for whatever reason: either doesn't want to do warranty work because of the cheaper warranty shop rates or maybe doesn't feel comfortable with swapping out the TQ/CVT.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would get bbb and soa involvedved asap.

I have experienced the same thing, dealer screwed around and messed up things and not helping. 9 month ownership, 11 times dealer visit. sold the bs vehicle and done with Subaru, so happy now.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I would get bbb and soa involvedved asap.

I have experienced the same thing, dealer screwed around and messed up things and not helping. 9 month ownership, 11 times dealer visit. sold the bs vehicle and done with Subaru, so happy now.
Why BBB? They have no teeth. Most of today's consumers could care less about BBB ratings.

Reactions: fendertweed

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,023 Posts
Why BBB? They have no teeth. Most of today's consumers could care less about BBB ratings.
I guess I'm an idiot, because when I'm looking at patronizing a new business, I look them up on the BBB website.
I also look them up on Yelp...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts