Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'16 STi, '17 Outback
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car has 36k km now, and currently on its second transmission after first one failed in 2000km.

So now, whenever I'm driving at 70-80km/h (45-50mph), I notice strange change of rpm, as if the torque convert can't make up its mind to either lock or unlock, this happens ONLY when maintaining speed, apparently dealer cannot reproduce the symptom and it's frankly annoying the crap out of me since the car is barely a year old.

Has anyone had this happened? if so, was your dealership able to reproduce the problem?

I have a feeling it's a throttle position vs load in software, but for the life of me I don't know why it only seem to happen to me, I tried to reproduce it with mechanic in the car and it just won't do it, this had happened in freezing cold and our Spring temp.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,728 Posts
So now, whenever I'm driving at 70-80km/h (45-50mph), I notice strange change of rpm, as if the torque convert can't make up its mind to either lock or unlock, this happens ONLY when maintaining speed, apparently dealer cannot reproduce the symptom ... for the life of me I don't know why it only seem to happen to me ...
Does it occur when running at the same speeds using cruise control ... on the same section of road under similar conditions?

N.B. The torque converter lockup clutch is normally fully engaged at any speed above ~12-15 mph (20-25 km/h). It does not "lock or unlock" at the speeds you describe.

·
Registered
'16 STi, '17 Outback
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it occur when running at the same speeds using cruise control ... on the same section of road under similar conditions?

N.B. The torque converter lockup clutch is normally fully engaged at any speed above ~12-15 mph (20-25 km/h). It does not "lock or unlock" at the speeds you describe.
no cruise control at that speed, its more or less similar conditions as long its similar speed and just trying to maintain.

it "should" stay locked, but I'm sure we know how lot of things should be but are not, to be more detail.

the rpm would vary by couple hundred rpm and would almost feel like a certain surge of speed or sudden loss of speed even when its a completely flat road with no change of pavement conditions, no change in pedal position, I thought it may also be the CVT changing ratio,

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,728 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
36,000km = 22,000 miles.

how is the health of the battery?

traditionally one of the ways a decaying battery first reveals itself is crappy shifting from the trans.

(and a typical gripe of 2013-present = the poor choice subaru made in OEM batteries).

·
Registered
2016 OB w/ eyesight
9 Posts
I don't think you can determine anything unless you put the cruise control on and then note rpm. The cvt will cause rpm to go up and down at the same speed if the road changes grade. To keep the engine in it's most efficient range, as you start up a slight hill, the cvt will change ratio and rpm will increase. The reverse when cresting the incline.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts