Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a Question for the Tribe. I got diagnosed by the dealer that my TR690 CVT Torque Convertor is Bad and while I have the Engine out for Head Gaskets, I plan on doing the Convertor but would like to get a Proper Tool for the Seal Install.
Does anyone know where can I get the Trans Seal Driver Tool like the one in the Pic attached fromor possibly have one for a Rental period?
Considering the amount of work envolved in removal of the engine and replacment I'd like to Install the Seal Properlly the first time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fender

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,969 Posts
I cannot tell you where to get the tool from.

What I can tell you is that the seal goes in quite easily especially if you put engine oil or transmission oil on the outer edge before installing it.

I recently did this on my 2011 3.6 E-5AT transmission without the need of the special tool. I basically installed it with my fingers and lightly tapped it home with a hammer and punch.

Don’t forget to also lubricate the inner seal surface too.

Seagrass

Reactions: Flood1913

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
830 Posts
I designed a crank seal install tool in Tinkercad and 3D printed it in PLA. It worked great.

A budget 3D printer like an Ender 3 is probably cheaper than an OEM seal install tool, and far more useful.

Hand Finger Thumb Household hardware Auto part

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I designed a crank seal install tool in Tinkercad and 3D printed it in PLA. It worked great.

A budget 3D printer like an Ender 3 is probably cheaper than an OEM seal install tool, and far more useful.

View attachment 523637
looks great! are you willing to make/sell another?
Technical Question: is it designed to fully seat the Seal or only just below flush?
If that makes sense?

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
830 Posts
looks great! are you willing to make/sell another?
Technical Question: is it designed to fully seat the Seal or only just below flush?
If that makes sense?
Should have mentioned it was for a Hyundai Tiburon GT I used to own. It was the first thing I ever 3D modeled. Tinkercad is pretty easy to use for basic designs like that.

Sorry, I don't know any of the dimensions for your seal application and my 3D printer has been out of commission for the last 6 months or so because I started some upgrades on it I never got around to finishing.

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,307 Posts
To seat the seal just right, place the old seal in between the new one and the driving tool. The old seal will stop at the depth of the chamfer, which is where the top of the new seal should be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts