Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know what the torque split between the the 2 diffs are on the 3.0R is,Im guessing it around 40/60--50/50 normal conditions then adjust to suit conditions

Do you guys have any insite into this.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Subah6 is correct, it's 45:55 front:rear normally. All 3.0R's have VTD (Variable Torque Distribution like the WR-X has) and hence are full all wheel drive all the time, unlike the 4cylinder auto's which are pretty much front wheel drive in normal driving. VTD is supposed to give a sportier drive / better handling.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
According to the Edmunds review:

Automatic-equipped turbo- and H6-equipped models upgrade to a more advanced electronically controlled system called Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) that gives greater priority to handling, operating off a 45/55 front/rear power split.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Losiho,

Jondalar is talking about VTD (variable torque distribution) not VDC which is vehicle dynamic control. You are right that the base model 3.0R does not have VDC but it still has VTD. VTD is 45/55 front/rear for the auto equiped H6 models. All these acronyms become confusing after a while.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Losiho said:
I stand corrected.

I enclose a response from Subaru Australia :

Thank you for your patience.

The VTD comes standard on all MY04 Outback models, however on the Outback H6 it only appeared on the Luxury model.

Regards,

Subaru Australia PTY LTD
Customer Relations Officer

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think you'll find that the Subaru customer relations people have also got it wrong and are getting their acronyms mixed up. The VTD is on all the 3.0R's as it is part of the 5 speed auto box as it is a standard set up for that auto.

I have since talked to my service guy at Subaru and he told me that VTD is standard on the 3.0R both Standard and Premium. He says that the OLD model H6 was the one that had the VTD only on the Premium spec as well as the VDC.

The answer is in the repy from Subaru Customer Relations
The VTD comes standard on all MY04 Outback models, however on the Outback H6 it only appeared on the Luxury model.
"however on the Outback H6 it only appeared (PAST TENSE) on the Luxury model" also the term H6 is used. My service tech says that Subaru do not use the term H6 for the new 3.0R, they use the term 3.0R.

My service tech also read from his service book regarding the 5 speed auto in the 3.0R (both standard and premium) that they have the VTD. It is part of the 5 speed auto.

Chris, try asking them about the VTD on the 3.0R and I'm sure you'll get a different response.

On a different note, how did you go with my oil supplier?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Lance, I don't understand your post at all. I didn't even mention VDC in my e-mail question to Subaru Australia. I also didn't use any acronyms in my question.

I think Subaru Oz said in their response that the old H6, (2000-2003) only the luxury model had Variable Torque Distribution (ie, the base grade, which was released at a later date, which you owned, did not have either VTD OR VDC).

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hi Chris,

It looks like SubaruAustralia marketing are saying that all the MY04 AUS Outbacks have VTD, but I don't think that's the case, I'm pretty sure it's only on the 3.0R's with the 5 speed Auto. Of course it would be nice if it were on all the Outbacks, but the 2.5i definitely feels different to drive. Also the overseas reviews I've read all say the 2.5i Auto has ATS not VTD.

Cheers,

Karl

·
Registered
172 Posts
Chris,

Strictly speaking I guess they're not acronyms as an acronym is usually a word made up of the first letters of each word in a name or statement like laser and radar which are both acronyms (don't remember exactly what each letter represents, but I think RADAR is Range And Direction A.... R.....?). VDC or VTD are not strictly acronyms, but I'm sure you already know that.

I may have misunderstood your meaning in your response which included the quote from Subaru.

Lets get this cleared up.

Did you mean only H6's or were you also including 3.0R's when you say that only the premium spec models have VTD?

My Subaru service tech read to me from a book from Subaru that states that ALL 5 speed autos for the 3.0R have VTD. Actually I think he even said the 4 speed autos as well, but I can't be sure.

·
Registered
244 Posts
subah6 said:
Did you mean only H6's or were you also including 3.0R's when you say that only the premium spec models have VTD?

My Subaru service tech read to me from a book from Subaru that states that ALL 5 speed autos for the 3.0R have VTD. Actually I think he even said the 4 speed autos as well, but I can't be sure.
I think even the Subaru Oz techs who answer e-mails know how to read the brochure. They have said, as I have said, that BOTH MY04 Outback 3.0Rs come with VDT, while only the Premium has VDC. I did not argue this fact.

My point is, and what Subaru Australia said in their e-mail, is that the PREVIOUS H6 (2000-2003) only had both VDC AND VTD on the top spec luxury version (a fact confirmed by the pdf document supplied by Peaty in another forum).

subah6 said:
Chris,

Strictly speaking I guess they're not acronyms as an acronym is usually a word made up of the first letters of each word in a name or statement like laser and radar which are both acronyms (don't remember exactly what each letter represents, but I think RADAR is Range And Direction A.... R.....?). VDC or VTD are not strictly acronyms, but I'm sure you already know that.

My apologies - abbreviation, not acronym. It's obviously time for another coffee.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Just to confuse the issue even further I asked Subaru Oz via feedback if ALL 2004 Outbacks have VTD and here is their response:

Comments:
Do ALL 2004 Outbacks with Automatic transmission have VTD or is it only 3.0R models?

Thank you for visiting our Subaru website and for your enquiry.

All MY04 Outback models are fitted with VTD.

Subaru Australia PTY LTD
Customer Relations Officer

I still think this is wrong...

·
Registered
172 Posts
This tallies with what my service tech. read out of the service booklet that ALL auto transmission Outbacks now have VTD. I wasn't sure whether he said both the 4 speed auto and 5 speed auto but now that you have said it, it must have been what he said.

·
Registered
613 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
5 Participants
subnz
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing