Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing that range indicator seems to fluctuate between 420 miles to 280 approx when the car is full.
Is this ok IMG_0535.JPG or its estimated on the driving city vs highway .

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Distance to Empty is an estimation based on the calculated amount of fuel in the tank, and the most recent calculated MPG. Since this calculated MPG can vary wildly from one minute to the next, it really is only in the ballpark if you've been driving at a fairly steady state for at least 15 minutes (that time frame is a flat out guess). I've seen mine increase in range as I drive when I go from town driving to steady freeway driving.

Yes, it's normal. Don't place a lot of faith in the actual number. When your gas gauge goes below a quarter tank, fill up. :)

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
my 97 SVX doesn't have range indicator, but I am getting 27.5-27.8mpg on premium, and a 18.5 gallon tank, i usually fill up at 420 miles, but my range is more like 500 but i never let it get below an 1/8th or so in the tank.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hardly see 420 miles all the time when I fill it up . So this miles to empty is not accurate .

Guess old school indicator is good to have

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I have been noticing that range indicator seems to fluctuate between 420 miles to 280 approx when the car is full.
Is this ok View attachment 415506 or its estimated on the driving city vs highway .
It’s guessing based on fuel consumption rate. It is really fun to see if you can add miles to the range during road trips. My all time high was over 120miles added to the range during a 50 mile stretch of road. Ummm yea some down hill was involved but who’s keeping track?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts