Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 OB 2.5 auto trans
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winters are long and nasty here in zone three, so car washes are used a good part of the year. Freezing temperatures are part of the concern too.

When my OB is covered with road salt, I soak it down with a mix of the cheap dish soap, the kind you buy in gallon jugs from the farm and barn stores prior to sending it through the car wash.

Even if I will not be washing it for a day or two I will soak it from the window bottoms down. It rinses the white off from the salt and seems to keep the road scum from biting in.

Use a 2.5 gallon heavy duty weed type sprayer and about four ounces of soap. Get two good soakings from a fill. When it freezes on does not seem to work as well, but still helps.

Thought about mixing a bit of the -40 windshield washer fluid in.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Hmm. I probably wouldn't use a dish soap, and here's why: It is too good. Meaning, it is very effective at cleaning. So effective, in fact, that it will strip off any wax on the car. That's why the first step to clay-barring your car is to wash the car in dishsoap to get rid of any waxes or films on the car. Immediately after dish soap you should reapply a wax to keep your paint protected, shiny and clean.

Also I've never had good luck with touch-free washes :(. Car always comes out still dirty.

·
Registered
2008 OB 2.5 auto trans
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SE95 . . . .

That's what I wanted was some feedback. I agree about stripping the wax, but is that worth worrying about or not in the Winter? I'm just not sure. I would love to wax the OB throughout the Winter but have no heated garage.

And to my surprise !! This car wash does a darn good job for the bottom tier wash cycle.

Also . . . did not know if leaving the soap on would damage the finish. Any chemists out there ?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
What I do is just apply a really good coat of wax in the fall. I would probably recommend something like Collinite's Insulator Wax. Will it be the shiniest car in the world? No, but this wax lasts a long time and is very good at repelling water thus making the car easier to clean. Typically you can get away with just waxing it in the fall and be good all winter. Be warned though, this isn't the easiest wax to work with. It tends to be quite difficult to get off after you apply it.

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845, liquid wax, heat-resistant wax, car wax

Also I'm not 100% sure but I think I remember reading that prolonged exposure to a harsh cleaner like dish soap can damage the clear coat.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts

·
Registered
2008 OB 2.5 auto trans
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GREAT INFORMATION . . . ! Thank You.

Passing this along to the Hot Rod car guys I know !

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,399 Posts
So - what's a good car soap and wax? I've use Mequire's for a long time, but that's just because I thought I'd give it a try - no other reason.

·
Registered
2008 OB 2.5 auto trans
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not saying I am using the best . . .

But it is super easy to use.

I have been using Turtle Ice and their car wash soap for hand washing.

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
I am a fan of Zaino's line of products. They have a wash/wax system that seems to do a nice job to my uneducated eye.

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
But in the winter I too have to go the car wash route as I have no where to hand wash.

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
Any chemists out there ?
Yep. 4 years undergrad + 5 years postgrad, but (believe it or not) they
never offered a course on the long-term effects of cheap laundry soap
on modern automotive finishes -- with salt, at Zone 3 temperatures.

...it's an experimental science, just try it! ...or don't.

"Anyone stupid enough to take chemistry can't be smart enough to pass."
- Looby (escaped chemist)

·
Registered
2007 outback 2.5i
271 Posts
if i can't get my car in my garage for a good winter "detail" after a coin-op car wash, i just have it detailed at the shop in town.

yer story gives me the detailing heebies for some reason.

:21:

·
Registered
13 blk Outback 2.5i cvt AW package, bunch of other OEM accessories...12 blk F350 6.2 gasser 4x4...10 Goldwing red nav ...04 JD 4510 loader/bhoe
77 Posts
I'm not a chemist...
In the north washing a car can be difficult regardless of how it's done. Often it's just simply to cold. Which is good in a way. For salt to be corrosive it needs to react with water above the freezing point. If its 15f outside nothing is going on there but, just looks ugly.

The worst thing anyone can do is to park the salt encrusted vehicle in a garage where temps will be above freezing. This activates the salts and can speed up the corrosion process.

I use a pressure washer with a wide nozzle so it's not to strong but better than the standard pressure of a garden hose. I don't touch the car with soap, cloth or what have you. I only do this when the temp gets above freezing and sunny. This insures the sun and air will keep the doors from freezing overnight.
When I have a chance and the weather gets above freezing, like 40 f or so I'll Hose the car down good and then hand wash using liquid car wash soap added to the Luke warm water.

If and when my vehicles are rinsed or washed I can keep them in a heated garaged with a temp of 50f but, only when free of salt.

I have done the touch less wash before and if its the only alternative at the time it's better than not doing anything and is not invasive.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
As far as car wash soap goes, I use Blue Coral car wash concentrate. I specifically go for the stuff that does NOT have wax in it... I like to wax my car separately, thank you. That and I don't really want that wax getting all over the glass/wipers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts