Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i PZEV
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 OB has always been super touchy at low speeds on initial throttle response. The transmission feels very rubberbandy (bouncy) to try any sum it up. Especially on a very slow uphill, say, approaching a stop sign with a backup of cars.

I recently had a loaner 2017 OB while at the dealer and noticed the initial throttle response was totally different. It actually felt a little slower from a stop. Is there a mechanical part they;ve updated or is there a software patch I haven't been aware of.

I'd LOVE to have the artificial shift points removed also...kinda defeats the purpose of a CVT...but I digress.

Perhaps a handheld programmer can solve these things?

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
You will get use to it. What I do is let the vehicle roll for just a moment before pressing on the gas. You can get a TCB ??? Programming update from the service center to minimize it, what I am please about is last downshift jerk prior to stop is gone. They just did mine and ECU update during my last oil change. No there is no way at the present time to stop the chain program position.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i PZEV
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will get use to it. What I do is let the vehicle roll for just a moment before pressing on the gas. You can get a TCB ??? Programming update from the service center to minimize it, what I am please about is last downshift jerk prior to stop is gone. They just did mine and ECU update during my last oil change. No there is no way at the present time to stop the chain program position.

Been driving my OB new since 2015...still not used to it. Lol.

Care to share which update you got so I can reference it on my next oil change?

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,511 Posts
following. Wonder if the update applies to all Gen 5s, specifically the 2017s?

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
796 Posts
Been driving my OB new since 2015...still not used to it. Lol.

Care to share which update you got so I can reference it on my next oil change?
My wife's RAV4 has a throttle like that. Found a throttle programmer on ebay with the help of the RAV4 forum as others had similar complaints - plugs in to the connection behind the accelerator pedal and changes the gain in the pedal position sensor. That makes it easier to live with.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
All the Work Order/ Invoice shows was a TCM Update performed under warranty.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
While I don't have a CVT I have driven cars with a CVT. I also think it defeats the purpose of a CVT to program in shift points! That has to cause some loss in MPG's and performance!

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
796 Posts
While I don't have a CVT I have driven cars with a CVT. I also think it defeats the purpose of a CVT to program in shift points! That has to cause some loss in MPG's and performance!
FWIW we just traded up from a 2013 to 2017 to get eyesight. As much as the geek in me enjoyed watching the previous CVT be continuously variable, I'm actually getting slightly better gas mileage with the new transmission program.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
CVT to program in shift points! That has to cause some loss in MPG's and performance!
Source????

The shift points is relatively new simulation added to the latest Gen to give a feel of a standard AT. But in my experience I rarely feel a shift point in my normal druving.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i PZEV
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CVT to program in shift points! That has to cause some loss in MPG's and performance!
Source????

The shift points is relatively new simulation added to the latest Gen to give a feel of a standard AT. But in my experience I rarely feel a shift point in my normal druving.

Merging onto the highway is when I loathe them.

But I got 500 miles out of my last tank, which was incredible.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Source????

I wish I didn't feel the shift points. The one I feel the most is the one at 27 mph as I live in a bigger city and that's the speed you get up to before you have to come back to a complete stop. At that point the jerks are scary as it doesn't feel natural at all. Might take my vehicle in and see what they can do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
The source is my 40+ years of driving,mechanicing,etc. If you feel a shift then logic dictates there has to be a loss of efficiency. :nerd:
I believe Suburu is leaving a couple MPG's on the table by not programing the CVT to it's most efficient set up. A CVT should return better numbers over the previous automatics IMHO!
Source????

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i PZEV
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The throttle actually feels a little bit like the torque converter is on full lock a little too low in the mph zone. Kinda like how 4low feels like in a Jeep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts