Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got nailed by a Mercedes S320 in a parking lot today. The Outback was knocked sideways about 5 feet. I drove away. The Mercedes had to be towed. Final score: Outback 1, Mercedes 0.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Ouch, I am guessing $7500 damage to the Outback.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
^
used bumper cover and beam from Car-parts, in the right color, about 500 bucks. used back gate about 1100.
tail light new from Subaru 115
repair of the 1/4 skin and paint, 500
way less than 4g in damage.

it is EASY to get the right color parts on car-part.com. And then the paint matches.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
^
yeah missed that, the guy in the 91 accord wishes it was his car, he needs a color matched hood.

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
Glad your ok, I hope you don't end up like that one guy who posted with mismatched paint after repair.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everybody is OK. Not as much damage as it appears. Bumper, bumper skin, taillight assembly and rear hatch. Lots of plastic bits scattered around. The Mercedes crushed the lower rad. and pushed the front corner into the tire. It was not moving on its own. Her insurance is paying my repair. I just need to pick a good shop.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
^
used bumper cover and beam from Car-parts, in the right color, about 500 bucks. used back gate about 1100.
tail light new from Subaru 115
repair of the 1/4 skin and paint, 500
way less than 4g in damage.

it is EASY to get the right color parts on car-part.com. And then the paint matches.
Covered by the other guy's insurance and on a what looks to be a '12 or '13, I'd say the OP is going to a shop. $7500 is probably about right, maybe 1-2 G's in either direction depending on underbody damage.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Ouch - that sucks. What year is your outback? I would be really annoyed if that was mine - you seem to be light hearted about it so that's good!

Mods - can we have a sub forum dedicated for posts like this? The Forester forum has one called "member mishaps", I think it would be good to have these in one area. Just :2cents:

·
Registered
2011 outback 2.5i limited cvt
180 Posts
trade it in for new one after body repair-it will never be the same. bodyshop techs are terrible, grommets and screws will be different sizes and types,etc etc, items not put back into proper positions,etc etc, gtp program will be your friend.

·
Registered
374 Posts
trade it in for new one after body repair-it will never be the same. bodyshop techs are terrible, grommets and screws will be different sizes and types,etc etc, items not put back into proper positions,etc etc, gtp program will be your friend.
Cars involved in collision do not qualify for GTP.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2012 Limited. State law won't allow diminished value as a recoverable damage. If I drive it 200,000 like my last cars, the diminished value from the accident is small. But, it has to be fixed right.

The last time something like this happened I took it back to the shop 7 times until I was satisfied. They hated me in the end, but I had the insurance co. on my side. I'll use a different shop this time.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I love how people ALWAYS say this. I've had my share of mishaps in vehicles. Some body-on-frame, some uni-body. In all cases the vehicle was repaired to my satisfaction (eventually) and the vehicles always drove just like before the mishap. It all comes down to doing your homework on the shop and being VERY picky about the work being done right. When I had a rear-end collision with the OB the paint on the bumper wasn't done right (tiger stripe), they had it done the next day.

With the proper tools, proper frame alignment machines, the vehicle can be returned to within factory tolerances.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
Yeah, I spilled a soda on my weathertechs yesterday so I am dumping this wreck.
There is some good info on this forum but it takes a lot of reading to finally find it.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Body shop initial repair estimate is $3200. He said it would most likely go up. After the bumper and interior trim are removed they are likely to find addition items needing repair/replacement.

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
314 Posts
What exactly would "never be the same"? A bumper repair is going to ruin how the car drives? That's just silly.

Getting a good repair does require some legwork - the end result really depends on the shop, and how careful you are about making sure they use OEM parts and checking things over before taking the car (if it doesn't say OEM on the quote, don't assume it will be, even for a relatively new vehicle - make sure they use only OEM). There's no reason that car won't be good as new after being repaired if it goes to a decent shop. You just have to make sure you take it somewhere that is going to get it done right.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
And the "somewhere that is going to get it done right" may not necessarily be the dealer.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
And the "somewhere that is going to get it done right" may not necessarily be the dealer.
The dealers generally sub out the work for this sort of thing and the good dealers - manage the repair - track and supply the OEM parts and will review the repair and send back if its not done correctly. The crappy dealers ship the car out - slap 10% on the repair shops bill and calls you when the car is returned to their lot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts