Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just added a 5/8“ screw pin shackle (from local hardware store) to the OEM hook (painted black with spray-on truck bed liner) and bought a replacement pop-out tow hook cover and drilled a hole for the tow to go through (Total cost approx $16 (x2 as I did both front and back). 😎
The hook is rated to be used as a pull attachment. Also added washers to the screw pin so it‘s torqued enough to prevent shackle movement / bouncing off bumper.
Automotive tail & brake light Car Plant Vehicle registration plate Vehicle
Tire Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5i Premium
151 Posts
I've looked at the Raceseng hooks on a Crosstrek in the parking garage at my work. They look weak. The loops appear to be too small to hold a real tow hook. The loop appears to be stamped sheet metal. At $170 each, and no mention of hardened steel, I have zero interest in them. IMO, they are just another Ricer accessory similar to the universal, stamped tow hooks that were all the rage, 10 years ago.

I like AK202's idea. At $16, that's a LOT cheaper than $340 for the pair of Raceseng.

·
Premium Member
2022 Outback Wilderness with moonroof package
189 Posts
Also added washers to the screw pin so it‘s torqued enough to prevent shackle movement / bouncing off bumper.
Seems like a great idea, but please help out a mechanical idiot -- washer placement? Between shackle and bumper? Thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Seems like a great idea, but please help out a mechanical idiot -- washer placement? Between shackle and bumper? Thanks.
Should have explained further - the loop in the OEM tow hook (that the shackle screw pin goes through) is only 0.5” thick, and the shackle opening (exposed shackle pin) is 1” in width ( ie. the exposed pin length on the shackle). So to fill the additional 0.5” space along the shackle pin ( and centre the OEM tow hook loop on the shackle pin) you need a total of 0.5” worth of washers on the shackle screw pin (not between shackle and bumper). I used four 1/8” thick washers on the shackle screw pin, this allows you to torque the shackle screw pin completely so the shackle-to-OEM tow hook loop connection is firm and friction keeps it from bouncing around and damaging bumper finish. Hope that’s clearer - it’s kinda hard to describe, so I tried to blow up a photo here to show it better. You can barely see, but there’s two 1/8” washers on each side of the OEM hook (The spray on coating blurs the washer edges).
PS, got some advice on this site to use lock-tite on the OEM tow hook thread so no one can just unscrew the whole assembly and walk away with it😬! So far so good😎

·
Premium Member
2022 Outback Wilderness with moonroof package
189 Posts
Should have explained further - the loop in the OEM tow hook (that the shackle screw pin goes through) is only 0.5” thick, and the shackle opening (exposed shackle pin) is 1” in width ( ie. the exposed pin length on the shackle). So to fill the additional 0.5” space along the shackle pin ( and centre the OEM tow hook loop on the shackle pin) you need a total of 0.5” worth of washers on the shackle screw pin (not between shackle and bumper). I used four 1/8” thick washers on the shackle screw pin, this allows you to torque the shackle screw pin completely so the shackle-to-OEM tow hook loop connection is firm and friction keeps it from bouncing around and damaging bumper finish. Hope that’s clearer - it’s kinda hard to describe, so I tried to blow up a photo here to show it better. You can barely see, but there’s two 1/8” washers on each side of the OEM hook (The spray on coating blurs the washer edges).
PS, got some advice on this site to use lock-tite on the OEM tow hook thread so no one can just unscrew the whole assembly and walk away with it😬! So far so good😎

View attachment 518225
Thanks -- very helpful!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi! Thanks! Yes, I realize there are pre-made ones. They are all over Amazon, too. But there a lot that don't fit. People are claiming that most of the pre-made ones have a different screw size so they don't work. The Wilderness is a relatively recent model, too, so I am not sure of dimensions. I will check out Perrin and see if there is something specific to the Outback.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
693 Posts
I was thinking about doing this, Click Here, but then read the Owner's Manual which advises not to leave the front tow hook installed since it can interfere with the SRS system. I assume the warning is just for the front tow hook. Not sure how the rear tow hook would interfere with the SRS system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts