Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 outback 4 cly. I want to tow a 6x10 trailer and Harley. 2200 lbs. no trailer brakes, no trans cooler or oil cooler. Is this possible?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts
moved to the towing section. (where MANY threads like this exist).

on the flat? in cool weather.

get a trailer with brakes, add them, (when a child steps in front of you,...you will want them, like on any trailer over 1000lbs).

monitor you temps with a phone app, add coolers if needed.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,197 Posts
forgot:

make sure you keep the tongue weight down below 200lbs. (has to do with the unibody structure of all subarus,...like they will bend near the rear wheels)

subaru may sell smaller hitches, but people usually go for aftermarket 2" hitches just for the variety of attachments in that size without adapters.

but regardless of the specs of the hitch the car can't have more then 200lbs on the tongue.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i no options
35 Posts
So if I put 200 lbs in the rear of my outback , It will bend?

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,399 Posts
The 200lb tongue weight is a limitation of the strength of the frame at the mounting points of the hitch, as well as the torque generated by 200lb bouncing around vertically on that hitch.

edit: subiesailor beat me to it

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,197 Posts
not in the rear of the car. its the weight on the hitch behind the car.

case in point:

if you use a bumper dumper, make sure you weigh less then 200lbs.

and if someone were to use one going down the road, with more then a 200# load (on it, and in it) such may break the car.

·
Registered
997 Posts
not in the rear of the car. its the weight on the hitch behind the car.

case in point:

if you use a bumper dumper, make sure you weigh less then 200lbs.

and if someone were to use one going down the road, with more then a 200# load (on it, and in it) such may break the car.

[/quote]

A year ago last fall I was hunting moose with my nephew in northern Maine. Thirty-five mile off the pavement on a longing trail with no camps anywhere in really deep "BIG woods." The Maine Guide had one of those. Someone gave it to him as a Christmas gag gift and he tried it and thinks it's the nuts!

FWIW, The limits of static tongue weight arent necessarily the same as a dynamic load under tow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts