Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'll be towing this 5x8 Uhaul trailer tomorrow 700 miles to central California.

I installed the EcoHitch and Curt wiring a few months ago. My biggest fear is that I didn't tighten the bolts enough from the hitch to the frame, and the hitch falls off on the highway....:laugh:

This is my first time towing. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it. Wish me luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Outback
82 Posts
Have a safe trip. Kind of like wondering if you left the stove on after you leave etc.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,434 Posts
You'll be fine. The 5x8 will have a lot of wind drag, don't force the engine to work harder than it needs to by trying to maintain too high a road speed. Watch the tach more than you watch the speedometer, and make sure to remember to plan your fuel stops closer together. Expect about 16-18 mpg depending on elevation and terrain.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,810 Posts
Air up the tires (on the trailer too!) and have a safe trip.
I think your cargo box will actually help mitigate some of the wind drag of the trailer, at least over the top. Sides, not so much.
Just give your rigging a spot check when you stop for fuel. Everything should be fine.

Safe travels!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,850 Posts
moved to towing section, and updated title,

leave some extra space to brake

Reactions: miker104

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The trip went great! No issues, and I actually did the same trip the following weekend with an even heavier load. Still no issues. I averaged about 19 mpg on the two trips which I thought was amazing. I tried to keep it at 65 mph.

Attachments

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,225 Posts
The trip went great! No issues, and I actually did the same trip the following weekend with an even heavier load. Still no issues. I averaged about 19 mpg on the two trips which I thought was amazing. I tried to keep it at 65 mph.
Even though the speed limit posted on the fenders of the u-haul say 55 ?

Often keeping the speed down while trailering is the key. Especially with a soft sprung station wagon on stilts.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,434 Posts
Even though the speed limit posted on the fenders of the u-haul say 55 ?

Often keeping the speed down while trailering is the key. Especially with a soft sprung station wagon on stilts.
UHaul says that's a maximum "recommended" limit. I'm sure their lawyers worked it all out.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,225 Posts
UHaul says that's a maximum "recommended" limit. I'm sure their lawyers worked it all out.
And it appears, the pictured model does NOT have the recommendation.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes indeed. It is on the driver's side fender and it is "recommended"...

What I realized while driving 700 miles on the interstate is that if I indeed kept it at 55mph, that would be more dangerous than keeping up with the flow at 65mph (which is the speed the 18 wheelers travel).

·
Registered
3 Posts
No trouble towing all that weight? I am planning a long move in a few months and will likely need to tow a trailer as well. I am concerned that the towing capacity is only 1,000 pounds for my 2014 2.5. You were not concerned about it?

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,434 Posts
No trouble towing all that weight? I am planning a long move in a few months and will likely need to tow a trailer as well. I am concerned that the towing capacity is only 1,000 pounds for my 2014 2.5. You were not concerned about it?
The capacity is 2700, isn't it? The manual wants you to use trailer brakes when you get to 1000. Keep the trailer as light as you can by putting heavy items inside the OB and bulky items inside the trailer. Most of us that have towed UHauls have exceeded that 1000lb rule.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,810 Posts
And another real-life case where a *recommended* limit was exceeded but the user did not surely crash, burn and die a horrible death.
Lawyers and margins. Lawyers and margins.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
20 Posts
I towed that trailer 900 miles from CA to Whidbey Island WA. No problems and I now tow all the time with our '15 2.5. Best decision ever to sell pick up, get Ecohitch, and tow as needed. If I ever need to haul too much for the OB rating I can always rent a truck. So far I haven't needed it. Fuel mileage suffers but that's to be expected. Tow away without any concerns.

·
Registered
2017 LTD 2.5
10 Posts
You'll be just fine.

I pulled that same trailer very loaded for 400+ miles. the 2.5 did just fine. I wasn't in the mountains though. Fuel mileage dropped to 18 for the trip. Otherwise I was impressed despite the Outbacks undersized brakes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts