Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I need to tow a 99 outback about 30 miles. I've read some about putting a fuze in a certain slot in order to make the car FWD for purposes such as a flat tire, but not on an outback specifically. Will this work ok to tow the car on a normal two wheel car dolly? The car currently does not run.

The only place near me that will rent me a full car trailer will only let me tow it with one of their trucks, so I'd have to rent a truck also. And towing it with a tow company that far is going to cost a fortune so I'm wondering if this is a viable option. Thank you for any input and help.

The outback is a 2.5 and is an automatic

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
277 Posts
Join AAA? I have Plus, and it has paid for itself many times over through tows.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT
104 Posts
The fuse to make it fwd doesn't work like that. You will ruin the awd transfer clutch by overheating it and cooking the friction material with the back wheels on the ground and the front on a trailer.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The fuse temporarily disables the ACTIVE AWD system. So if the engine isn't running during the tow, the fuse can't disable anything and transmission damage can result. Get it on a transporter.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
If you have to tow it 2 wheels down (no choice), you MUST remove the driveshaft, then the the front wheels should be on the truck/trailer. The best way is a flatbed, does your rental facility rent a flatbed? Maybe someone else locally does?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input!! Everything said makes sense. Curiosity just had me wondering. I decided to just join AAA plus, it will pay for itself in this one tow alone really. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts