Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, we just cancelled our order for a '22 FW after getting nervous that it would not have enough hp/torque for a 1900 pound camper that we intend to buy. Back to figuring out a tow vehicle. We are now looking at the Outback Wilderness, or the new '23 Outback Onyx turbo. Both seem to meet the needs of towing the Alto r1723 camper. For all those that tow campers with their Outback, which would you endorse as a tow vehicle? Or do you wish you had a different tow vehicle? If so, why? We are total newbies with towing. If we move forward with the Outback as our tow vehicle, what should we be considering/any advise when building the order?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[QUOTE="Carnerd, post: 6266543, member: 543743"
The only other thing to keep in mind is that when towing, you are required to use 91 octane (or more) minimum.
[/QUOTE]

This is the first I am reading of this, which is why I am here, asking questions. It's a significant consideration. This will also be an everyday vehicle, but we also hope to do a lot of camping in retirement, so that additional gas expense is noted. I would be fine with the Ascent. My partner thinks it's too much car for an everyday vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[QUOTE="Carnerd, post: 6266543, member: 543743"}

The only other thing to keep in mind is that when towing, you are required to use 91 octane (or more) minimum. It is worth mentioning, though, that if the Ascent is of any consideration to you, then you are free to use 87 octane all the time even when towing. But either of the Outback trims you are looking at will be plenty capable for a 1,900 lb trailer
[/QUOTE]

This is the first I am reading of this, which is why I am here, asking questions. It's a significant consideration. This will also be an everyday vehicle, but we also hope to do a lot of camping in retirement, so that additional gas expense is noted. I would be fine with the Ascent. My partner thinks it's too much car for an everyday vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The owner's manual for the Gen 6 Outback is pretty specific about this. With the turbo engine, you are fine to use 87 octane for everyday driving, but when towing, you are required to use 91+. Worth noting that the non-turbo Outbacks are still rated to tow up to 2,700 pounds, and those engines only need 87 even when towing. For 2023, you can even get the Onyx Edition with the standard 2.5 engine. Obviously the turbo engines in the Outback gives you a bit more headroom, but so does the Ascent.

What I don't know is what sort of mpg the Ascent typically gets when towing a camper. I do know that on my Outback with premium gas, I'm looking at about 12-14 mpg at 65-70 mph when towing a 2,500 lbs trailer (depending on aerodynamics of the trailer). At 45-50 mph with the same trailer, I got as much as 20mpg. I imagine the Ascent would get comparable mpg when towing except with 87 octane.
We want something with more hp/torque than the standard engine. You have highlighted something else to weigh in our decision making process. Not the news I wanted, but I'd rather figure that out now than later. In the end, when we weigh all the pros and cons of any tow vehicle we are considering, the cost for high octane gas/gas mileage might cancel out with another vehicle that gets lower gas mileage on the daily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, we are on to different pastures. I could never really "sell" my partner on the Outback. Its too much of a station wagon for her. She was cool when we originally started with the Forester Wilderness. I drive a '16 Forester, love it, and see this make as my forever car. When we became concerned about the hp/torque on the FW, we veered over to the Outback. I could be very happy with it, but she just can't stomache paying that much for a car (which will be her primary vehicle) that she does not love. Lots of folks on the Altoiste fb group love the Toyato Hylander Hybrid and the Honda Ridgeline. The former is out of our price point. She drove the latter yesterday and fell in love. So I'm tagging along today for the test drive, and if I'm on board, we will move in that direction. It's several grand more than we want to spend, but it checks all the boxes for towing, and according to her, drives like a very comfortable but not too big SUV. Like someone said - not too much car, but also not too little. This has been a long couple of weeks trying to narrow this decision down, and both this and the Forester forum have been invaluable in our process. Thanks so much. I'm sad to not be a 2 Subaru household, but I am a loyalist and will always drive a Subaru . . . unless someone wants to give me a Tesla:)

1 - 5 of 6 Posts