Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited 2.5 with eyesight
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife does not ride and if she goes to this rally with me we will either need to tow the bike or me ride and she drive in a separate car. We will be going from flat land in southeast North Carolina over the mountains to Pigeon Forge, Tn. The utility is a single axel, no brakes and weighs 860 lbs. The bike weighs 850 lbs. Do you think that a 2016 2.5 could pull and stop it OK?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,859 Posts
yep,

as long as you keep the tongue weight on the trailer less then subaru's sad 200#

and leave some space for extra long braking distances in front of you, you should be happy,

I would consider adding brakes on any trailer loaded to the point that its operating weight is more then 1000#, some states like mine want this, and any trailer dealer should be able to add brakes to any trailer.

( I would think its no fun to have your motorcycle on a trailer passing you should it break loose, or twist the car around in the road if it remains attached . that happened to some cousins of mine in the 1980s towing a trailer, and it put a dent in the front fender of the tow car as the trailer passed it ...a wild ride).

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
easy. just adjust driving appropriately. if you accelerate, stop, turn, and park like a teenager than i wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,476 Posts
You should be fine.

Take it easy climbing the grades- it's ok to go slow in the far right climbing lane if you need to.

And, remember to use the paddles to downshift while descending grades- you will need this more than usual for the extra weight.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,819 Posts
You'll want to put a tow-rated cover on the 'wing. It will be so embarrassed to be riding a trailer! j/k :hide:
That trailer combination sounds well within the tow ratings of the OB with lots of margin.
Have a great trip.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
228 Posts
You ride, she drives. You've got CB on the GW; get a handheld CB for her. I know a couple in your same situation who've been going to m/c rallies for years using that strategy.

·
Registered
2017 Ram Big Horn 8' Bed 4X4 6.4 Hemi
208 Posts
You will be close to the Max for capable towing. I know that it's rated for 2700 Lbs. but if you search the towing forums like I did you will find out that the real world capabilities of the Outback 2.5 is a bit less.
I'll be surprised if your GW weighs only 850. I can't guess what your trailer weighs..

I just pulled this rig 6,000 miles round trip from AZ to NY. Just me in the car with a cooler and luggage. Bike and trailer came in at 1,300 Lbs. You add another person and luggage for two your car will be working hard.

Cover only went on when parked.

·
Registered
13 2.5 OB
4 Posts
No problem, I tow my garden tractor (954lbs) from Charlotte to the mountains twice a month. As stated previously, braking will be effected. Also, expect a serious decrease in mileage. Same trip 27 MPG without trailer, 18.5 with trailer and a/c on. Realize now i would have been better off with the v6, but the 2.5 gets the job done.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited, 3.6L
65 Posts
New paint job...

To put a fabric cover on a bike being hauled in non-enclosed trailer is akin to putting it thru a sand blaster. i.e., you're gonna ruin your paint job. It doesn't matter how many tie downs or tape you use it's gonna damage the paint.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. I have the F6B model without the tourbag on the back and weighs less than the full Goldwing. I am embarrassed to be pulling a wing but my wife works for the post office as a mail carrier and she hates to drive when not working. Happy wife, happy husband! Thanks for the post about the paddles, I forgot about using those.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,859 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input. I have the F6B model without the tourbag on the back and weighs less than the full Goldwing. I am embarrassed to be pulling a wing but my wife works for the post office as a mail carrier and she hates to drive when not working. Happy wife, happy husband! Thanks for the post about the paddles, I forgot about using those.
did you think about putting the car on a full car trailer (4 wheels up), and towing it with the gold wing?>:)

Reactions: stepbill

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,859 Posts
That is a thought :wink2:!
typical subaru's need 4 wheels up. (see owners manual,).

and I would think a Goldwing can do it, at least on the flat. (same red one, ...towing a Volvo, and a travel trailer).

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife does not ride and if she goes to this rally with me we will either need to tow the bike or me ride and she drive in a separate car. We will be going from flat land in southeast North Carolina over the mountains to Pigeon Forge, Tn. The utility is a single axel, no brakes and weighs 860 lbs. The bike weighs 850 lbs. Do you think that a 2016 2.5 could pull and stop it OK?
I tow a < 1000 pound Wells Cargo flip top no brakes trailer loaded with a Harley Road King with all riding gear, plus my wife (in the car), plus living items for six weeks... from The SC Lowcountry to the NC Mountains around Asheville. This is why I ordered a full boat 2016 Outback 3.6R. On the hills heading north (e.g., I-26 in NC), the rig slows considerably and the oil temperature (on the Info screen) quickly rises into the 220s. Downhill I use the paddle shifters to provide engine braking. I would not pull the rig up or down a seriously twisty road (e.g., 276 from Brevard to Pisgah to the Blue Ridge Parkway) however, just out of caution. I can't imagine doing any of this with a 2.5 liter Outback. But on flatter terrain, it should not be a problem, and as other writers indicate, just be careful. But anyone into serious towing... get a 3.6R. I am ordering a 2019. And BTW, there are plenty of real nasty, but Outback capable, back roads around the NC mountains that you can explore.

·
Registered
2017 Ram Big Horn 8' Bed 4X4 6.4 Hemi
208 Posts
Towing is the reason we now have this. No worries about hills or trailer brakes. Cost me less than a full boat 3.6 R. Can't compare in the Mileage dept., but I only got 17MPG from the 2.5 when I was towing the GW.

Reactions: stepbill

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a Chevy Silverado Z71 1500 also but she does not like to drive this. She says it's too big. Would love to sell it and get me a 2500! Nice truck Tom!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts