Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Limited Moonroof
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to transport a couple of couches and am thinking of renting a UHaul trailer
U-Haul: Equipment specs
5 x 10 ft so I can fit the 2 couches.

I imagine that with the couches, the trailer weight will be under 2000 lbs.
The empty weight of the trailer is 1250 lbs and GVW 2800lbs

I have a hidden hitch with 2" receiver on the car - a 2011 OB 3.6
I have the standard wiring harness with the 4 pin connector for lighting

Is there anything I need to watch out for? Is this within safe limits for the car? Do I need any hook ups for trailer braking ?

I have never trailered anything before and the hitch has only been used for a bike rack. Any suggestion and advice appreciated
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,413 Posts
Just be more careful and use good defensive driving techniques. Increase following distance, as you are stopping half again as much weight as the car itself. You will be fine.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
618 Posts
If there is snow or ice... don't do it. Trailers are more likely to jackknife in slippery conditions.

I know they're probably heavy, but tie the couches to the sides of the trailers, or block them in so they don't move around. Shifting weight can really screw up a trailer.

Take it easy, brake early, leave lots of room in front of yourself. You know, all the things you're supposed to do anyway, just more so.

It'll be fine.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
it'll easily tow it, you just have to drive smarter. don't expect the same handling or braking performance.

if it's flat it'll seem like the trailer is hardly there. if you're in the mountains you'll notice it.

good call - be very careful if there's any snow.

the limiting factor with the older H6 engines is cooling capacity, the cooling system is the weak link. but it only comes into play if it's humid, 90 degrees, running A/C, and pulling really steep highway mountain grades. none of which you'll be doing. the older H6's will overheat if you do those things with 2,500 - 3,000 pounds.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone. I will definitely be driving at a safe speed and don't have to drive over any mountains.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Key absolute key is to be sure to get adequate tongue weight or the trailer will sway all over the road. Make sure you have sufficient weight forward to do this. Other advice covers the rest but no one mentioned this requirement...

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
what he said - load over the trailer axles, you want the trailer carrying the weight, not the hitch. loading far forward puts more weight on the hitch/car.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,043 Posts
Your 3.6 will do just fine. I tow with regularity and have had no issues at all so far. The one thing I recommend is that you check the tire pressures on bith your OB and the trailer. Look on the tires of the trailer and see what the Max pressure is and inflate the tires to that pressure. Most trailer tires need 50 PSI btw. Try to get the tongue weight to between 100-150 # depending on trailer weight.
Some common sense and you'll do fine. The 3.6 will not overheat and in the ROW is allowed to tow 4400 #...We are limited in the US to 3000 # by lawyers...:28:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try to get the tongue weight to between 100-150 # depending on trailer weight.
How do you get the tongue weight in a certain range?

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
With a scale or eduicated guess. Move couches forward once you think the weight is right and lash them down...

·
Registered
618 Posts
How do you get the tongue weight in a certain range?
If the trailer has axles you can move, you can do that. A U-Haul won't.

If you need more weight on the tongue, move your cargo forward, if you need less, move it back.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The 5x10 uhaul is nose heavy to start with! Two couches wont impact the balance enough to be a worry.

Number one warning is Uhaul trailer brakes. Have them do a plug check ie light test before you exit the yard. Tip! take a second person with you who can either do the lights check with the uhaul guy or allow you to do it. Their trailer wiring gets screwed up all the time and mor often than not will blow your fuseon you brake lights. Your shift lock will then prevent you from shifting out of park. Have fuses and if you blow one do not hook up the trailer lights. Get another trailer or run during the day and sstay off tge main drag

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts
Since you say that you don't have a brake controller, see if you can rent a trailer that has a self contained brake system, usually a hydraulic cylinder in the hitch assembly. That way you don't need to worry about getting a controller installed just for this one time.

Beyond that, take the drive easy. Keep you acceleration slow and leave plenty of following room between you and the car in front of you. Trailer brakes help, but don't count on them being able to save you.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Since you say that you don't have a brake controller, see if you can rent a trailer that has a self contained brake system, usually a hydraulic cylinder in the hitch assembly. That way you don't need to worry about getting a controller installed just for this one time.

Beyond that, take the drive easy. Keep you acceleration slow and leave plenty of following room between you and the car in front of you. Trailer brakes help, but don't count on them being able to save you.
Sorry for the typo's above smart phones make terrible key boards.

No brake controller needed for the 5x10 Uhaul they have a basic pressure hitch system self contained to the trailer.

My comment above was regarding the brake lights and faulty wiring on the rental trailer. The last three Uhaul trailers I've rented all blew the fuse in two different vehicles being used. For local day time trips and not having any other option I simply left them unplugged. For longer highway trips I had Uhaul track down a trailer that worked or fix their faulty wiring on the trailer they were trying to give me.

Couches weigh so little the 5x10 trailer will not be a weight issue for the OB or a brake issue regarding stopping. If its an open trailer your biggest risk is having the cushins blowing out and all over the road like most people I see hauling couches they fail to put the pads some place where they won't exit the vehicle when they are going down the road.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just realized that the door opening on the 5 x 10 trailer will make it difficult to get 2 couches into the trailer. Would it be safe to tow a 6 x 12 uHaul trailer with the OB ? the empty trailer weight difference between the 5x10 and 6x12 is 700 lbs (1250 vs 1920)

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,413 Posts
You won't hurt the car. Be careful driving, and remember the trailer is back there when stopping, cornering, changing lanes.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts
I just realized that the door opening on the 5 x 10 trailer will make it difficult to get 2 couches into the trailer. Would it be safe to tow a 6 x 12 uHaul trailer with the OB ? the empty trailer weight difference between the 5x10 and 6x12 is 700 lbs (1250 vs 1920)
The 6x12 is a whole new level of trailering. Going up to that size means two axles and trailer brakes, part of the reason for the added weight. I would say away from the 6x12, especially on the outback. You will be pushing the vehicle's limits by the time you put the couches in there. Also, I have never had good experiences with the trailer brakes on those things and I don't know many who have. They either don't work at all, work at random times during a stop, won't release following a stop, or only one side will seem to stop while the other rolls free. None of these situations are safe especially when near the limit with the tow vehicle. I was lucky to be towing with a vehicle that would handle 5,000 lbs. so it was usually manageable over shorter to moderate distances.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Wrap plastic around the couches and rent an open trailer. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
595 Posts
My comment above was regarding the brake lights and faulty wiring on the rental trailer. The last three Uhaul trailers I've rented all blew the fuse in two different vehicles being used. For local day time trips and not having any other option I simply left them unplugged. For longer highway trips I had Uhaul track down a trailer that worked or fix their faulty wiring on the trailer they were trying to give me.
I presume you were using a utility trailer where your vehicle's brake lights were very easily visible over your trailer's load. Either way, this sounds like a bad idea (and a big insurance liability) even in a pinch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts