Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5L Crimson Red Pearl
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone that has experience with towing either a Airstream Basecamp or Little Guy Mini Max RV trailiers with a 2.5l OB. I am looking at getting an RV trailer and one of the requirements is it has to have a bathroom and shower. Not a lot of options within the 2700lb tow limit of the 2019 OB. I read the forum post that started in 2016 "The Airstream You Can Pull Behind A Subaru - Really?" but no info on actual experience with towing the Airstream Basecamp. The Airstream is at the upper limit of OB tow capacity even dry (base wt 2585lb) and the tongue weight is listed at 410lb which is way over what the factor hitch (200lbs) can handle. The Airsteam is a nice unit but I just don't know if it the OB could handle the load. The other option I am looking at is the LIttle Guy Mini Max. Dry weight is 1993lbs, much more reasonable and the tongue weight is 280, still over the factor hitch limit but more manageable. Not sure what Subaru was thinking in the design of their factor hitch, you need between 10 and 15% of the trailer weight on the tongue so they should have designed it for around 400lbs for a tow capacity of 2,700. Glad I did not have a factor hitch installed when I purchased my OB new so I can put on an aftermarket with more capacity.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Eyesight
278 Posts
Hitch weight is based on several things including the frame of the vehicle. Thus the Outback is limited to 200 lbs. A different hitch doesn't change the tongue weight the Outback can handle. Sounds like you need to consider a new vehicle. The 2020 has additional capacity...

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5L Crimson Red Pearl
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. 2020 Outback is not much better so I may need to look at Ascent or another manufacture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts