Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just towed a caravan about 600km and was wondering what other people's experiences with the 3.0R towing things are like? Overall I was pleased with the performance towing a 14ft Jayco pop-top (1500lb) caravan, but I do feel the Outback's motor is a bit lacking in torque to do it well. Fuel consumption was also a let down, averaged about 4.8 km/ litre (20.8L/100km or 12.3 MPG US) Main problem is the motor can't hold 5th gear unless completely flat and even a small hill usually has it down to 3rd to keep speed. There's also a LOT of up and down shifting. I tried using manual mode but it still needed me to shift gear as often to maintain speed.

Cheers,
Karl

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
I find my 2002 H6 perfect for light towing - we tow a trailer with German shepherds regularly around our South Island (sometimes up to 1,200 km + in a weekend).

I had a Grand Cherokee previously and the Outback is just as good - low down torque hardly lets you know the trailer is behind - although for overtaking etc I always use manual mode.

My trailer is also only about 1/2 the weight of what you were towing of course (I am guessing but probably about 800 - 900 kg loaded, no more that 1,000kg anyway), but compared the the Jeep which was a much bigger and more powerful vehicle the OB tows just as well.

GRANT

Attachments

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Grant, weight for the van is supposed to be 700kg empty but we had a lot in it, was probably more the wind resistance slowing me down. Gearing was suited better to cruising at 110 km/h than 100 too, held 5th gear much easier.

Cheers,

Karl

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
I just checked - my trailer is onlly supposed to be 450kg unloaded, so that makes it probably 600kg or thereabouts loaded - maybe a bit more on occasion but I would not ever think more that 750kg - so about 1/2 the weight you were towing.

Also, I wonder if my 4 speed auto means my gearing is a bit different and more suited to towing perhaps at slower speeds??

GRANT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
Ottiehund
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing