Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a quick question on tongue weight with our cars.

So first, I know with my 4 cyl my tow rating is 2000#. When I bought my Draw-Tite tow hitch it is a class 2 rated for 3500# and 300# tongue weight.

Now usually class 1 hitches are 2000# tow and 200# tongue, so I usually think of my car as a class 1 vehicle.

Now with that said, I have a small pop up that I tow. It weighs about 1200# but the dry tongue weight is about 185#. Now once I add the battery and propane I am over the 200# class 1 rating, so what I have been doing is throwing them inside the trailer.

I am getting tired of always doing that so I am wondering what is the max tongue weight for our vehicles since my tow hitch is rated for up to 300# and I know this generation Subaru 6 cyl is rated for 2400# towing. I would assume that since the 6 cyl is has a higher tow rating it can handle more than 200# tongue and since our 4 and 6 cyl cars are basically the same suspension and frame that the 4 cyl can probably handle it.

If this has been asked sorry for the repost. But I searched and couldn't find anything that addressed my question.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Subaru says 200lbs on any USA outback, no matter what hitch you bolt onto it.

They give other (higher) numbers in other markets. It's widely speculated that this is only because it's easier for them to get sued in America than those other countries, but I've never seen anything other than speculation. That's probably the noise creating your confusion.

People have successfully overloaded them before. People have also bent the rear body to the point where the rear side doors won't close. I didn't use a scale last time I rented a trailer, but then the total load I hauled wasn't that much either.

Use your judgement.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,256 Posts
Some crazy person* on this board used his 2nd gen Outback to tow a trailer occupied by another 2nd gen Outback. I think you'll be fine.

*Endearingly

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,077 Posts
I would shift all portable things inside the popup to the ass-end to try to get the tounge weight down.

and don't forget to adjust the tire pressures if necessary.

someone posted this somewhere, but here it is again.

as I recall the white one had its drive shafts disconnected so it was not getting injured by towing like this,...and it might have been missing its engine

( outback towing a outback at the outback ).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. Thanks. I definitely don't want to bend the frame at the point where it bolts on. I am just trying to figure out the the best solution. I do already move as much back as possible because the rule for trailer stability is 8-10% tongue weight, but with where I'm at, I'm close about 15% tongue weight and if I add the propane tank to the front it will only go up. Thanks for the advise. If anyone else has any info or advise to add, please do.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,077 Posts
Okay. Thanks. I definitely don't want to bend the frame at the point where it bolts on. I am just trying to figure out the the best solution. I do already move as much back as possible because the rule for trailer stability is 8-10% tongue weight, but with where I'm at, I'm close about 15% tongue weight and if I add the propane tank to the front it will only go up. Thanks for the advise. If anyone else has any info or advise to add, please do.
what are you running on the propane bottle? Do you really need so much?

camp stoves and portable grills usually take very little bottles.
= like 1 pounders.

Does that tent have a heater in it,...that would need a 20lb BBQ bottle like a travel trailer?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We got the tent trailer for the heater because my 2 babies don't do well in the cold (as in they wake up a lot and then my wife and I don't sleep). I found that our 20lb tank lasts about 6-7 days keeping the trailer warm in winter nights in the upper 30's.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Heavy sleep sacks with kids wedged in with the parents works fine. I took my two kids a couple of weeks ago. Quick dads weekend with the kids. The low at 4am was 44. Coastal camping. My daughter runs warm, the REI kids bag with her wearing her hoodie she was fine. My 4yr old son whos a ice cube was cold and I ended up with him sharing my double bag and he was fine. No heat in the tent on a trailer I have. 900lb empty, about 1300 packed. We run about 22mpg on our trips. My 21ft racing sailboat was 1800lbs but it was 26ft end to end and 8.5ft wide. We ran between 16-18mpg. It towed nice but was really too much for long trips or hot temps or tough Sierra climbs in the summers. Which is why I targeted 1200lbs or less empty weight for our camping rig.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
For shoulder season camping if we really got into it. I would be tempted to get the bunk bed R-pod 17footer. And either keep our 07 Sequoia or sell the Subaru and Sequoia and get the new Diesel GMC Canyon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once our kiddos are old enough we definitely don't need the heat, but right now we have a 2.5 year old (doesn't stay under blanks well yet) and a 3 month out...definitely too young for a sleeping bag.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Once our kiddos are old enough we definitely don't need the heat, but right now we have a 2.5 year old (doesn't stay under blanks well yet) and a 3 month out...definitely too young for a sleeping bag.
Sleep sack is a type of kids PJ sorta like a sleeping bag you zip them into with a heavy shirt and it has arm slots. Look it up but research them some are made poorly and have safety issues.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Example
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000ALFVQ2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?qid=1459268538&sr=8-1&keywords=sleep+sack&pi=SY200_QL40[/ame]

They make different weights. Both my kids used them in the winter.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Another idea they make a smaller propane tank that would lower your weight some. But would give you a solid weekends worth of heating. Might be worth looking at. Assuming you have the standard heavy 5gallon can.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya we use those, but on some of our trips the kids have been too cold even with a couple of those on, hence why we decided to get the trailer. As for the smaller tank, I don't think there are many options smaller than a 20lbs tank other than the little green tanks. It sounds like I am stuck still doing what I have always done and just load all of those in the back of the trailer. We just recently went camping and I checked on level ground and with the tank in the front it brought us to about the 230# range, not grossly over weight, but over the 200# limit. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I know camper folks report that a 1lb can will take them through the night with a heater. I think a 1 gallon can like this is about 7 lbs of propane.
Check the numbers but it could be an interesting option.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000SKX63U/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1459296261&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=small+propane+tank&dpPl=1&dpID=41Ye1zcjPuL&ref=plSrch[/ame]

·
Registered
2004 Outback 2.5 Manual
18 Posts
I pull my Polaris Ranger with my 04 2.5 manual all the time

the Ute dry weight is 1187 pounds ... when you factor in 2 tanks worth of fuel and I have it loaded as far forward as I can on my trailer to combat the waggle ... I suspect my tounge weight is a tad more than 200 pounds but my rear doesnt sag with it attached

you have a couple of options ... the tounge weight rating is too prevent rear sag and porposing as well as light steering ...

you can up grade your springs, or install stabilizer bars on your hitch setup ... FYI I have niether and I am good

I seem to have deleted the pic on my phone of my Car pulling my UTV

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, sorry to revive a wicked old thread but!

are these folks talking about a class II hitch? Everyone is saying tongue cap. is 200# so I’m assuming that might have been the only option at the time, or I missed it?
I haven’t been able to find any listing for max tongue weight anywhere but on specific HITCH receivers, not on the car specifically...

I have a Draw-Tite/Uhaul 2” receiver and the specs are shown in the pictures. Says “up to 600#” tongue...

Am I safe to assume that this means carrying an estimated 250# of dirtbike on 50# of hitch carrier is safe with this hitch receiver? I’ve done it twice, timidly and avoiding any bumps (and will continue to do so when carrying) but no issues so far and not much sag or bounce.

am I good or stupid? Or both?
TiA!!

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,280 Posts
tow ratings are different based upon locations due to max speed allowed, etc... EU cars are limited speed wise vs the US so their row ratings are higher for the same class

1 - 19 of 19 Posts