Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally took the Teardrop up to the Mountains. With camping gear in trailer and back of Outback, Probably around 2K to 2.2K of added weight (guessing). Gas mileage was biggest hit, though on the freeway (flat) I was at about 19 mpg. Power was there still, even when going of a local pass here in NW Oregon. Trailer hitch has the four flat pin connector, I need 7, so I had to purchase a 4 to 7 adapter. One of the wires from the adapter needed to be grounded (white one), so I drilled a hole underneath and attached wire. All lights worked after the wire was grounded. I didn't need to use the brakes on the trailer, so all was good. Plenty of power with this XT so I'm pretty happy, now if they could get the big screen to start working better.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Looks fantastic!

Plenty of power with this XT so I'm pretty happy, now if they could get the big screen to start working better.
There is a software update to version 504 for the big screen that can be installed by the dealer or on your own:

·
Registered
2019 Touring (Canadian Model) with Eyesight
496 Posts
One of the wires from the adapter needed to be grounded (white one), so I drilled a hole underneath and attached wire. All lights worked after the wire was grounded
Curious. I have a 4 to 7 way adapter that has a white ground wire too. I had hoped this wire was only necessary if I was to charge the battery from the Subaru battery/alternator. This is something I don't plan on doing with my Teardrop. But now you are saying that the lights on the trailer will not work without this ground?

Could it be that the smaller ground wire on your trailer harness wasn't properly grounded?

My 4 to 7 adapter has LEDs that indicate that the plug is getting signals and they light up without this white ground connected for me at least.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,383 Posts
The 7-pin connector to the trailer has a higher gauge ground wire (the white wire). Because the 7-pin is meant to carry current for the brakes and other 12v accessories, it needs a heavier gauge ground wire to return that current to the car frame. The 4-flat does have a ground wire, but it's a lighter gauge. So the connector at the 7-pin has its own ground wire that does not carry through the 4-flat. It has to be connected to the car frame.

·
Registered
2019 Touring (Canadian Model) with Eyesight
496 Posts
OP wrote his post in such a way that it seems his lights wouldn't work without the heavier ground connected. I was asking if this is a fact.

All lights worked after the wire was grounded.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,383 Posts
Curious. I have a 4 to 7 way adapter that has a white ground wire too. I had hoped this wire was only necessary if I was to charge the battery from the Subaru battery/alternator. This is something I don't plan on doing with my Teardrop. But now you are saying that the lights on the trailer will not work without this ground?

Could it be that the smaller ground wire on your trailer harness wasn't properly grounded?

My 4 to 7 adapter has LEDs that indicate that the plug is getting signals and they light up without this white ground connected for me at least.
The OP didn’t say they didn’t work without that ground, but they do work with it.

If your 4-7 has a 4-flat and 7 and LEDs, I expect this behavior: the LEDs will show whatever signals are being sent through the 4-flat; the 4-flat will work just fine because it has its own ground; the 7-pin lights will not work until you attach its ground wire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP wrote his post in such a way that it seems his lights wouldn't work without the heavier ground connected. I was asking if this is a fact.
Lights would not work without ground on adapter attached to the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts