Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 3.6 Touring & 2018 H6 Limited. Previously also owned a number of Outbacks.
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I plan to tow a small RV with Autowbrake. My understanding is that there are 2 setups: 1) 4pin to 7pin converter + 10 gauge (with 30Amp surge protector) to battery, and 2) just a simple 4pin to 7pin converter with other (3) wires not connected.

I prefer the 2nd method since it's super simple and I can DIY. Also for 1st method I'll have to disconnect the 7pin or add a switch on the RV each time I park or run down my car's battery. I can always juice up my RV's battery with solar or external sources.

What do you think & any recommendations? Also for method 2, do I still have to drill the ground wire onto the frame considering I am not adding 12V connection.

Thanks in advance,
Luke

·
Registered
2019 premium outback 2009 matia mx5
87 Posts
You still need to run a ten gauge wire with inline fuse to the battery to power the electric brakes. I tow a 13 foot fiber glass scamp about 1500 pounds and never had issues with the battery draining for rest stops. Would not leave the seven connected over night, would drain the battery. I never run the refrigerator on electric while driving that would that could drain the battery.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,383 Posts
Pay close attention to the ‘simple’ 4 to 7 adapters. They will work without additional wiring if you don’t need brakes or 12V... BUT ...

Because 7-pin rigs generally require more power, they also need to return it back to ground. So the 7-pin (trailer) side will have a larger gauge ground wire than the 4-pin (car) side. They do this by not carrying the ground pin through the connector. The trailer side ground wire will be hanging loose and you’ll have to add a ground screw to the car frame somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts