Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was googling Outback towing tire pressure and up popped this article from a website that showed the tire placard for an Australia 2017 Outback 2.5i Premium with different tire pressures for different towing conditions:

The rear tires get inflated to match the load in the rear, which makes sense. I checked my Onyx tire placard and it mentions nothing about changing tire pressure for towing, and looking at the owner's manual page 430, 435, 526, no mention of increasing pressure in rear tires when towing. What is your practice?

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,215 Posts
I don't tow anything but when I am on a longer trip where I know I will have quite a bit more weight in the back of the car than normal I usually put the rear tires up to the same pressure as the fronts.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited
608 Posts
For any load, speed, and driving condition you can use your tire pressure guage to find the best choice. Compare cold (before driving) tire pressures to those measured hot, after you have been on the road for a while. The measured increase in pressure should not be more than about 10%. If >10%, then a higher starting (cold) inflation is appropriate. Some experimentation may be required.
Source: Safe tire PSI for heavier loads

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
U-Haul recommends adding 6 PSI as a rule-of-thumb to the rears when towing. It seems to make sense to pro-actively increase rear tire pressure and then use the method above to verify that the tires aren't overheating.

The Australia placard shows 39 PSI (2.7 bar) when towing, and 32 PSI (2.2 bar) when not, which is very close to U-Haul's recommended rear tire pressure increase.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring
215 Posts
U-Haul recommends adding 6 PSI as a rule-of-thumb to the rears when towing. It seems to make sense to pro-actively increase rear tire pressure and then use the method above to verify that the tires aren't overheating.

The Australia placard shows 39 PSI (2.7 bar) when towing, and 32 PSI (2.2 bar) when not, which is very close to U-Haul's recommended rear tire pressure increase.

Hey thanks this is great to know!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts